Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK7 GTI Water Pump Replacement - possible without removing inlet manifold?

MK7 GTI Water Pump Replacement - possible without removing inlet manifold?

My Mk7 GTI has a slow leak around the pump/thermostat. Plastic parts arghhh. I am replacing both.
    Is this task possible without removing the intake manifold? Obviously removing the manifold will free up space however I am unsure whether it is achievable without doing so. My preference is to leave the intake alone.
    Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    ^^^^ Not done it myself on a GTI, but according to the manual, if the Engine ID is CHHA, CHHB, CNTA, CJSA, CJSC, CJSB, CJXA or DEDA - then no need to remove the intake manifold

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

It is possible but easier and quicker to take it off. Also you can make sure the tube to the cooler goes in properly and it sits flat on the block.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Thanks for the responses DV52 and aprr32. I will update thread in a few weeks after I have replaced.

As an update to this thread I replaced the water pump over the weekend. I did not remove the intake manifold and this worked fine. I could do the process again much quicker. I followed the workshop manual steps.

I came across a few fittings that had failed to be secured properly (a hex bolt that was left loose, a hose screw type clamp that had been overtightened to the point of stripping and a vacuum/vent pipe connecting to the air filter wasn't hooked up) . The car has only every been touched by qualified mechanics but unfortunately this is par for the course in my experience. Mechanics know what they're doing however I suspect there is often an expectation to constantly push cars out of the workshop asap which results in the finer points being overlooked.

I also used a vacuum to pull coolant into the system. I'm sold on that process!

So happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by clio View Post
    As an update to this thread I replaced the water pump over the weekend. I did not remove the intake manifold and this worked fine. I could do the process again much quicker. I followed the workshop manual steps.

I came across a few fittings that had failed to be secured properly (a hex bolt that was left loose, a hose screw type clamp that had been overtightened to the point of stripping and a vacuum/vent pipe connecting to the air filter wasn't hooked up) . The car has only every been touched by qualified mechanics but unfortunately this is par for the course in my experience. Mechanics know what they're doing however I suspect there is often an expectation to constantly push cars out of the workshop asap which results in the finer points being overlooked.

I also used a vacuum to pull coolant into the system. I'm sold on that process!

So happy days.
    Result ! Pity about the shoddy workmanship, but no real surprise.

It might be worth keeping a close eye on the coolant level over he next couple of months, these engines are known for purging small amounts of air over time after filling with coolant (common on brand new cars)
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    It might be worth keeping a close eye on the coolant level over he next couple of months, these engines are known for purging small amounts of air over time after filling with coolant (common on brand new cars)
    Yes i think you’re on the money there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by clio View Post
    Yes i think you’re on the money there
    I think I read somewhere that you need ODIS (the official VW software) to properly purge all air from the coolant system (but given what happens to many new engines I'm not sure even that will get rid of all the air)
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    I think part of the shoddy workmanship is called " Flat rate ", i.e. the book says 1.5 hours. If the mechanic does it in less time, he still gets paid book rate.

Users Country Flag

We don't really have that here in Australia.

We're paid by the hour.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast