Support VWWC

Thread: MK7 GTI Tail lights fit into MK7 R?

MK7 GTI Tail lights fit into MK7 R?

Hi everyone,

I've just recently picked myself up a 2016 golf r, I'm wondering if the same year GTI can work directly?
    Or will I have to change some wiring?

This is the one I'm referring to: https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/760312_x800.webp (on the right)

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    You are likely to be the only person in the world who does not want the much nicer looking cherry red Golf R LED tail lights, and to replace them with the standard Golf red incandescent tail lights.

The lights will physically fit, but you will need a wiring harness as the plug is different as well as some coding on the car to let the car know that it no longer has the LED tail lights.

Basically you need to do the opposite of what anyone with a lower spec Golf does in order to fit the LED tail lights.

Out of curiosity, can I ask the reason behind wanting to remove the LED lights and fit the standard ones?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Oh is that the case? damn,

One of the lights has a crack and water is getting into it, there is a GTI being wrecked near me and can get the tail lights < $200.

I guess I'll just replace them with OEM

Users Country Flag

MK7 GTI Tail lights fit into MK7 R?

Quote Originally Posted by gully2020 View Post
    Oh is that the case? damn,

One of the lights has a crack and water is getting into it, there is a GTI being wrecked near me and can get the tail lights &lt; $200.

I guess I'll just replace them with OEM
    For the time being, i would suggest using some clear silicone to seal up the crack. Get the part number off the back of the light (you will need to remove it in order to see the part #) and then search on Google or ebay etc. You will find what you need quite easily, although it may have to come from Europe.

The lights on the Golf are 4x individual parts so you can just buy a replacement for the one thats damaged.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 27-06-2021 at 10:11 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler