Support VWWC

Thread: Mk7 gti with oil in coolant

Users Country Flag

Mk7 gti with oil in coolant

Guys our MK7 GTI done 100kms has signs of oil in the coolant expansion tank.

Is this most likely to be the oil cooler unit?

I was planning on flushing the system but no point going too far if the oil keeps coming through.
    Car is due thermostat and waterpump replacement as these are common failure on mk7 and waterpump shows signs of a slight leak so thinking may as well replace the oil cooler while its all apart.

Unlikely to be head gasket on these motors.

Users Country Flag
    It will almost certainly be the oil cooler unit. Either the gasket has failed or the unit has failed internally. It is located near the oil filter assembly. Oil Cooler - MK7 Golf 2.0T GTI R EA888.3 - 06L117021G - Genuine Audi & Volkswagen – VAGPARTS Australia

The likelihood of it being your head gasket is very low (unless it has been badly overheated in which case the likelihood of it being a head gasket is higher).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by webup View Post
    Guys our MK7 GTI done 100kms has signs of oil in the coolant expansion tank.

Is this most likely to be the oil cooler unit?

I was planning on flushing the system but no point going too far if the oil keeps coming through.
    Car is due thermostat and waterpump replacement as these are common failure on mk7 and waterpump shows signs of a slight leak so thinking may as well replace the oil cooler while its all apart.

Unlikely to be head gasket on these motors.
    Be aware that it might be very difficult to flush all the oil out of the coolant system.

I had an oil cooler failure on my VW Transporter and despite several coolant flushes there was still oil re-appearing in the coolant bottle. In the end I gave it several good thrashes in the hills to raise the engine temperature (the 2.5L TDI engines usually ran pretty cool), and that eventually purged all the oil out of the coolant system.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag

@webup how you solved the issue with the oil in cooling tank?I have the same issue on a 2013 1.8 TFSI