Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk7 GTI buyers guide review video

Users Country Flag

Mk7 GTI buyers guide review video

Well my GTI has been immortalized in video form, this week I lent it to a friend of a friend who has recently started a YouTube channel reviewing cars for the 2nd hand market.

Figured it was good information to have on the forum now that many people are buying Mk7's as 5-6 year old 2nd hand cars.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Nice video.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Cool review!!!

And that is why we own VW's!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

That's a great channel. Am working my way through his videos. I particularly like the What Goes Wrong section. Although after viewing that section of the GTI video I'm beginning to entertain thoughts of something different within a year or so!
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Splashalot View Post
    That's a great channel. Am working my way through his videos. I particularly like the What Goes Wrong section. Although after viewing that section of the GTI video I'm beginning to entertain thoughts of something different within a year or so!
    Well waterpumps on any VW/Audi product is a given, but pretty much every other issue he talks about was new to me and I am skeptical about just how common they are too be honest. I cannot recall anyone on here (or 3x GTI Facebook groups im on) having issues with water leaking in the doors, dash displays dying, fuel injector issues etc.

But yes, this guy has found a bit of a niche with reviewing cars for the 2nd hand market rather than brand new cars. He used to work for CarAdvice so he has done new car reviews before. When we were talking he said (and it makes perfect sense) that the used car market is about 5-6 times bigger than the new car market, so he found it odd that no one really does the used car reviews.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Well waterpumps on any VW/Audi product is a given, but pretty much every other issue he talks about was new to me and I am skeptical about just how common they are too be honest. I cannot recall anyone on here (or 3x GTI Facebook groups im on) having issues with water leaking in the doors, dash displays dying, fuel injector issues etc.

But yes, this guy has found a bit of a niche with reviewing cars for the 2nd hand market rather than brand new cars. He used to work for CarAdvice so he has done new car reviews before. When we were talking he said (and it makes perfect sense) that the used car market is about 5-6 times bigger than the new car market, so he found it odd that no one really does the used car reviews.
    Over 400,000 k's in Mk6, Mk7 and Mk7.5's and I can't say as I have seen any of those either.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Quote Originally Posted by Splashalot View Post
    Not sure about his comment that the seat is nice and low.....I find it sits up too high even on the lowest setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Well waterpumps on any VW/Audi product is a given, but pretty much every other issue he talks about was new to me and I am skeptical about just how common they are too be honest.
    Yes, I tend to agree. My comment was half in jest. I love my 7.5 and likely will keep it for 10 years, as I did with my mk5 GTI. Or until an affordable and enjoyable EV comes along (looking at you Honda-E and praying the price comes down).

The waterpump/thermostat housing leak is the only thing I've seen crop up regularly. It does bug me, however, that VW can't or won't design a more durable part which is a once-only replacement. I know there have been numerous thermostat housing revisions, but from what I can ascertain all versions seem to require replacement. The issue is still cropping up OS on 7.5s.
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

I've seen plenty of reports of water leaks on a UK based Golf R forum that I frequently frequent. Main culprits seem to be:

- Sun roof blocked drains
    - Reversing camera drain (grommet disintegrated)
    - Air flap (rear quarters behind trim)
    - Speaker seal in rear doors
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I've seen plenty of reports of water leaks on a UK based Golf R forum that I frequently frequent. Main culprits seem to be:

- Sun roof blocked drains
    - Reversing camera drain (grommet disintegrated)
    - Air flap (rear quarters behind trim)
    - Speaker seal in rear doors
    I wonder if this is more so because of the much wetter climate in the UK than we have.

The sunroof drains should really be a regular/yearly maintenance item, but the other items in your list should not be failing on a car that's 5 years old.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast