Thread: MK7 GTD Soundaktor

MK7 GTD Soundaktor

Hey all,

I’ve been having difficulty understanding how the soundaktor improves artificial sound quality which produces more engine noise. Is there a speaker in the exhaust region? I’m looking into installing one if it’s possible. How much would it affect my wallet? I have a MK7 TDI Sportswagen but it’s styled as a GTD. It doesn’t have that GTD soundaktor but I’d love to install one, otherwise I’m looking at $2,000 for the setup from Kufatech.

Users Country Flag
    Righteousness: So, here's the thing - there's a difference as far as official wording between a "soundaktor" and the "active exhaust system" on a GTD. The former is an artificial noise that vibrates the front windshield using an actuator and the latter uses the exhaust to make a noise.

Here's the schematic for the active exhaust system:

What's clear from the first part of the picture is that the normal rear silencer is missing (on your car, I suspect that this silencer is installed). As shown and instead, Actuator 1 for engine sound generator R257 is connected directly to the active exhaust system. It is installed on the side of the connecting pipe. The engine sound generator control unit J943 is installed on the left C-pillar.

I've included the CAN network schematic in the lower part of the picture to show the electrical arrangement. This from VW:
    The engine sound generator control unit J943
    receives the following signals from the engine control
    unit J623:
    • The engine torque for regulating the volume
    • The engine speed for determining the sound
    reproduction speed
    • The vehicle speed for reducing the volume
    Actuator 1 for engine sound generation R257, which
    is integrated into the exhaust system, is connected to
    the engine sound generator control unit J943.
    The engine sound generated by the actuator is
    guided directly into the exhaust system, right up to the
    tailpipes. Depending on the driving mode selected,
    the vehicle has a powerful-full bodied sound in
    “Sport” mode and a more comfort-oriented sound in
    “Normal” or “Eco” mode.
    For context;- J623=Engine Control Unit and J533= CAN Gateway Module

I can make no comment on the cost of the retrofit - but the project is not trivial given the extra equipment needed
    Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Just an observation. Many, many Golf R owners (myself included) find the noise from the soundaktor quite annoying so have coded it off. If you haven't listened to it in a car I suggest you do so before spending any time & money installing it, as you might not like it (IMO it is very unrealistic and fake sounding).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Just an observation. Many, many Golf R owners (myself included) find the noise from the soundaktor quite annoying so have coded it off. If you haven't listened to it in a car I suggest you do so before spending any time & money installing it, as you might not like it (IMO it is very unrealistic and fake sounding).
    I agree with this, turned the 'aritifical sound' in my R off long ago and 'fixed' the sound with an intake and exhaust upgrade ...

I'd suggest you get an intake fitted, which will give you much improved induction noise and then if you still want more noise, fit an exhaust.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

DVS2 is correct in that the Euro spec GTD's have an active speaker in the exhaust system as per the image he has posted above. If you look on Youtube you will find people repairing them as the speaker frames tend to rust (along with the wiring terminals) and stop working after a few years (they are not durable). Some people also have the speakers themselves melting (probably due to DPF regens where the exhaust is super heated to burn off the soot)

My Audi SQ5 diesel has a very similar active speaker in the exhaust (except is has 2x speakers in total - one on either side at the rear of the car). My speakers have stopped working and looking at the Aussie SQ5 owners group im on in Facebook, its a pretty damn common occurrence. You can cut open the enclosures, replace the speakers (most people use a marine grade 6.5" speaker as they are more resistant to rusting) and weld them back together - this is a much much more cost effective solution than buying a new exhaust from the manufacturer.

I guess what I am saying its that I wouldnt bother. Would be a lot of cost and mucking around to get it to work and they are pretty unreliable at the best of times. Why dont you buy a Xforce Varex rear muffler and then you can use the Varex to adjust the sound when you feel like having it louder? Or just have the rear muffler removed altogether and either have a smaller muffler/resonator fitted or just run a straight pipe. Diesels are very quiet anyway due to the DPF and multiple cats.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler