Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

Post your questions and observations regarding the Mk7 Golf TSI and TDI models here!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Having had a quick steer of the Golf at its press release in Melbourne, I can say that this car, if it can even be called that, is more than perfection. It is quicker, more refined, lighter, more fun to drive, better value, bigger, better made, more fuel efficient and ultimately even more desirable than the already admirable Mk.6 Golf. It's a brilliant car, a cracker in every way! To say its merely flawless is doing it a massive disservice. Dare I say it, this is the best car I have ever driven and the one that has left me the most astounded and shaken after driving it. The sheer breadth of talent that the New Golf possesses is out of this world. Long live the king! DAS AUTO!!!
    AUTOBLOGAUSTRALIA : http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au
    Volkswagen Launch Press Reports, New Model Press Releases...
    Passionate, Honest and Simple New Car Reviews, Interesting Information and So Much More!!!
    Created by An Enthusiast for Fellow Enthusiasts

Users Country Flag
    My impression from the same event was it's now better than the Audi A3.

I ponder what Audi are going to do now to differentiate their product. Why on earth would you buy an A3?

Had a bit of time to inspect to the new Golf 7 today. If the MK6 and MK7 were balloons, it appears that the MK7 is a Mark 6 that is blown up about 15% to much & needs some air let out if it. The rear lights improve the look in an audi way. The front end slope is out of character with the rest of the Golf 7's wedginess and the Golf 7 seems to look a bit more like a Golf Plus imo. Merc has made their A-Class look more hatchback like, VW has made the Golf 7 look more like an earlier model Merc A esp around the tall bonnet.

Inside the Golf 7 TSI, both on the std and high spec models, the rear plastic on the sill of the rear windows appears to have gone from soft touch to hard plastic. Well, on my GTI, the rear door passenger sills are soft touch plastic. The Ford Focus has soft front & hard rear door sill plastic which also appear to be a mismatch ... I don't like it and it appears to be an obvious sign of cost cutting.

I'm sure the Golf 7 drives better, but I thought it would look longer, wider and flatter in the external body ... it somehow doesn't. I also checked out the BRZ and FT86 while at motor city ... these coupes seem to give you a more sense of occassion when stepping into them, despite having a overall cheaper interior & radios/SatNav, although most the things a driver touches (ie steering wheel, grab handles) most of the time are reasonably good quality in the twins. BRZ wait time is down to 4 months now and only 40K d/away with a few options. The piano black shining centre console filler is going to show the dust big-time on the Golf 7.

Still think my MK6 Golf GTI with slightly lower ride height looks better than the Mark 7 Golf with exception of the rear end. The Sirocco's in stock appear to be aging and are a bit easier for entry & egress in and out of the driver's seat than the BRZ/FT86 twins. Long doors are always an issue for garage/carparks.

Cheers.
    WJ

I test drove the new TSI 103 Highline in Sydney yesterday, and was very impressed. It is a beautiful car in so many ways. Feels more like a BMW or Audi in terms of the interior and ride. The car also feels considerably bigger inside that the 6 series, even though it is only by a matter of a few centimeters here and there.

Although I was concerned that the standard 17-inch wheels may cause a harsh ride (as per my previous post), my fears were unfounded. It drives very smoothly and is perfectly damped.

My only gripe is that the glossy piano black dash on the Highline is very impracticable. Not only is it a smudge magnet, it also causes a lot of reflections, which distract the eye. For my taste, it also cheapens the interior of the car by giving it a flashy look. While I was at the showroom, another potential customer commented to me that he couldn’t live the piano black finish because it ‘made him feel like Billy Joel’ (which I am not sure is a good or bad thing!)

The muted brushed aluminum finish on the cheaper Comfortline model looks a lot better, is less prone to scratching, and is far more practicable. Paradoxically, it also looks classier in that understated German way. I do hope VW Australia rethink this issue, and offer the aluminum finish on the Highline.

Overall though, what a wonderful car the new Golf 7 is, and I can’t wait to receive my order – hopefully next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Golf7 View Post
    Having had a quick steer of the Golf at its press release in Melbourne, I can say that this car, if it can even be called that, is more than perfection. It is quicker, more refined, lighter, more fun to drive, better value, bigger, better made, more fuel efficient and ultimately even more desirable than the already admirable Mk.6 Golf. It's a brilliant car, a cracker in every way! To say its merely flawless is doing it a massive disservice. Dare I say it, this is the best car I have ever driven and the one that has left me the most astounded and shaken after driving it. The sheer breadth of talent that the New Golf possesses is out of this world. Long live the king! DAS AUTO!!!
    When can we look forward to reading your Mark VII Golf review on Auto Blog Australia so we can see what you really think about der neue Golf?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    When can we look forward to reading your Mark VII Golf review on Auto Blog Australia so we can see what you really think about der neue Golf?
    I'll be driving the car again about this time next week so the review should be up not this weekend but the next! How did you find the i30 review?
    Passionate, Honest and Simple New Car Reviews, Interesting Information and So Much More!!!

Would be nice if you can get hold of the 103TSI to compare them both.

Quote Originally Posted by soogs View Post
    Would be nice if you can get hold of the 103TSI to compare them both.
    I'll see what they have on the day...

Do the bi-xenon lights come with dynamic light assist, or is that something else again?

Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast