Support VWWC

Page 87 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

Users Country Flag

So this afternoon my infotainment screen refused to turn on after work. It's happened before but only for a few minutes. This time it wouldn't come on for the entire 30min drive home despite me stopping and trying various things on the way. Eventually the last of my MANY engine off and back on attempts worked.

Googling suggests its not uncommon, and as mentioned Ive had it before myself.

Any one else experience this? Software or hardware issue perhaps?

Users Country Flag
    Hey guys, got my GTI about 1-2 weeks ago and been loving it since, great new experience.

Just a few nigglies:

1. CarPlay apps seem to crash sometimes, specifically Apple Maps and Messages. Do you guys even use Apple Maps? I kinda prefer the inbuilt Nav system but it doesn't have Siri unfortunately.

2. 6th gear - I've been playing around with 'manual' mode a bit, and notice if I'm travelling ar 50-60kph and knock it into 6th gear and accelerate, there's like a vibration noise, struggling noise... i know this is probably because i'm loading up the transmission/engine incorrectly but is this normal and is it doing any damage???

Thanks!

Can't help you with Carplay — never even seen it — but the answer to the 'struggling noise' is simply Don't Do That!

6th gear is set high for economy – if you open the throttle wide at low revs you overstress things and the engine makes 'struggling noises' simply because it's struggling.

For your engine's (and your wallet's) sake, use fourth or fifth instead.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Hey guys, got my GTI about 1-2 weeks ago and been loving it since, great new experience.

Just a few nigglies:

1. CarPlay apps seem to crash sometimes, specifically Apple Maps and Messages. Do you guys even use Apple Maps? I kinda prefer the inbuilt Nav system but it doesn't have Siri unfortunately.

Thanks!
    During the past week or two software has been released and available at dealers to rectify many problems with MIB II, including CarPlay bugs. I wouldn't leave it until your first service to update the software either as you don't want some of the other issues to surface.
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Quote Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
    During the past week or two software has been released and available at dealers to rectify many problems with MIB II, including CarPlay bugs. I wouldn't leave it until your first service to update the software either as you don't want some of the other issues to surface.
    It has?

This is stuff VW should be releasing to customers. We shouldn't need to come across this information by accident online.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag

Question Two year service, dealer recommendations, TDI 2014

Had a dig around and couldn't find relevant info, so... Our diesel wagon is having its 2 year / 30K service in about 3 weeks. It's had normal suburban and freeway use with the odd country trip vs severe conditions as described in the book. The dealer recommends replacing pollen filter and brake fluid on top of the specified items. What's the opinion of the knowledgeable forum members? Neither? Either? Both?

Users Country Flag
    If my understanding is correct, pollen filter cleans the air coming into the cabin. So if you have no problems with the air coming in and have no allergies, it can be replaced when you feel like it.

Brake fluids should be replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage as it gradually absorbs water from the atmosphere. This results in the brake fluid more likely to boil. 2 years is the general recommendation for most manufactureres and I think it's important not to skimp on safety.

Users Country Flag
    Dealers like to "Jab" you at service time .
    My Mk7 petrol is due for 2nd service (21,000Km) in a couple of weeks and have started a list of Don't do...
    . Do not replace pollen filter (inspected & cleaned 18K Km)
    . Do not replace wiper blades
    . Do not add injector cleaner to fuel tank (use BP Ultimate 9
    . Do not top up or supply windscreen washer fluid
    Interestingly I have also a '97 Volvo 850 that uses the same ATE brake system as our Mk4 Golf, both the independent and dealer
    Volvo service does not do a 2 year brake fluid change.
    Instead they check the moisture level in the fluid reservoir with a gadget and in 16 years of ownership fluid was only replaced recently due to new brake hoses being fitted.(I'm in dry Adelaide climate so SYD, BRIS, MEL may differ)
    Have also heard of dealers cheating by only flushing out of 1 nipple.
    That has to be a savings of about $200 which I can put towards sourcing those parts plus filters, sump plugs,brake pads from OS.

Valvster
    Last edited by Valvster; 25-01-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    In your service manual are a list of items that the factory deems necessary for each specific service. Any thing over and above these are the dealer attempting to make additional profits from you at the service. These are not "MUST" be done items, just their recommendations, which in turn they charge an additional fee for. Not doing these additional items will not affect your warranty, not changing a pollen filter at the recommended intervals wont affect your warranty, only your nose.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    Had a dig around and couldn't find relevant info, so... Our diesel wagon is having its 2 year / 30K service in about 3 weeks. It's had normal suburban and freeway use with the odd country trip vs severe conditions as described in the book. The dealer recommends replacing pollen filter and brake fluid on top of the specified items. What's the opinion of the knowledgeable forum members? Neither? Either? Both?
    Pollen filter is every 2 years in your service book. You're better off getting one off ebay for $20 and DIYing every 12 months as they become pretty ugly. Get the carbon impregnated jobbie.

First brake fluid is at 3 years and every 2 years after that - again, it's in your service book.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 87 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast