Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

Users Country Flag

Re: Mk7 Golf TSI & TDI - Observations and Questions

Would definitely be cool to see one in the flesh, lucky sod Golf7!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    Would definitely be cool to see one in the flesh, lucky sod Golf7!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    I know, it was such an awesome occasion, even if all the journalists where whinging that they couldn't drive it. I don't think that they have any driving around at the moment... But then again, who knows what VWA will do in all of their almighty wisdom... About to go for a looooong test-drive in the MK.7. I'll keep everyone posted!
    AUTOBLOGAUSTRALIA : http://autoblogaustralia.blogspot.com.au
    Volkswagen Launch Press Reports, New Model Press Releases...
    Passionate, Honest and Simple New Car Reviews, Interesting Information and So Much More!!!
    Created by An Enthusiast for Fellow Enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by Golf7 View Post
    Oh and VW's bean counters have just hit again on the MK.7. I was meaning to say this before: The rear upper door trim is hard, brittle plastic on the normal cars at least... The front occupants are treated to a soft touch plastic though... I saw a question somewhere out there asking about plastics used...
    The whole of the Golf 7 interior has a cheaper feel to it than the 6. There is a lot more plastic used in the interior. Every thing you touch, switch gear, center console just doesn't feel as solid as on the 6.

Hi Everyone,

I took the car out for a long proper drive today and I must say I'm disappointed... This might be embarrassing for me I know, but the car hasn't lived up to my expectations. Basically this is what I'm trying to say, the car is not flawless, unlike the Mk.6. Here is a small analogy (just thought of it, so sorry if its a bit weird) : the Mk.6 was a well made, good value, mid range business suit from Myer, made by a well known respected brand. The suit was sharp, looked real good, it was perfectly made. Now the Mk.7 is a Hugo Boss suit for pretty much the same money, but there are very minor issues, like some stitching is not perfect on the inside, there is a tiny stain on the fabric etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that with the MK.6 it was soooo darn hard to find any faults anywhere. With the Mk.7 there are indeed some visible albeit minor. It may be better in so many other areas, its the small things that niggle me: the cheap rear interior plastics, the interior rattles, the creaking door grab handles on the armrests in all cars, the slow animations of the touch-screens, the fact that rear passengers have a vent under the front seats next to which they need to put their feet, limiting toe-room... Such small things, yet unlike in the Mk.6 they are there...

All this coupled with the fact that the Mk.6 was already such an accomplished and talented car meant that we were all expecting the new Mk.7 to be once again something out of this world. And in many ways compared to other cars, it sure is. WITHOUT A DOUBT IT IS THE BEST CAR IN THE SEGMENT AND PROBABLY ON THE AUSSIE CAR MARKET... BUT... When compared to the Mk.6 it is well... Dare I say it... Very slightly disappointing... And trouble is, I don't know why. After all it is better value, better equipped, faster, more agile, bigger and better looking but the few blemishes do some harm.

I am really struggling to write down all that I think about the Golf, I just can't find the words how to describe the whole Mk.7 experience but I think it comes down to the fact that there was some cost-cutting evident. And dare I say it, I think a tiny bit of the old one's solidity is gone...

It IS a great car, it will be my next car but I was expecting so much and now I realise, how foolish of me to think that it would be so much better. That would have been physically impossible compared to the Mk.6.

I really can't describe it all, I'd need to explain this all in person. Don't get me wrong this was an amazing machine but the x-factor and amazement of the Mk6 when it was launched is missing. I LOVE the new Golf but I'm a bit lost...

Oh and I drove the 90TSI Manual and had a brief stint in the 103TSI Highline...

I'll write up my full review of the car and chick it up on my blog, hope my heartfelt words are beneficial...
    Passionate, Honest and Simple New Car Reviews, Interesting Information and So Much More!!!

Hi Golf7,

To improve on a car like Mk6 Golf and keep the pricing point at similar level, there has to be some cost cutting somewhere, it cannot come for free in my humble opinion. VW and Audi are masters of perceived quality, therefore using cheap plastic where customers are not likely to touch makes perfect sense.

It kinda reminds me of BMW a little. In an effort to infiltrate lower end of the market, the lower end BMW models had some serious cost cutting. For example, the interior quality of the X1 is atrocious, it is worse than a Toyota Corolla from the late 90s! I couldn't even begin to compare it with the Mk6 Golf GTI I used to own....Despite the "high tech" perception BMW and VW/Audi try to portrait, both companies have had their fair share of quality issues, which perhaps go back to the engineering integrity you are talking about.

Even Mercedes had a period when cost cutting got in the way of interior quality, they have just about recovered from that now...

Quality may not be up to par with early examples of an entirely new model range (MQB). Hearing you on the quality and perceived quality. It appears that VW are using more choice materials, but somehow not managing to improve perceived quality ... more of a sideways step from the Mark 6.

I relished that the Golf MK6 felt small and compact, like you're part of the vehicle re: smaller sized cabin. The Golf 7, esp. in the front, feels like a much bigger vehicle re: interior. You could trade down to a Polo GTI, but this vehicle is a bit too small and has a dog of a motor re: reliability & oil usage (gearbox could be an issue too).

The absence of metal in the interior is a concern and it's not good to hear that the rattles & squeaky plastics are her to stay with the Golf 7 - squeaks were the bain of my complaints both my MK5 and MK6 Golf GTI's.

The grey interior on the Mark 6 Golf GTI was a step backwards imo ... such a sombre colour esp. if you work in an officer environment where grey tends to dominate. The cloth interior on the MK5 Golf GTI was really good quality & colour ... the jacky cloth in grey is more of an cheaper denim cost cutting measure imo, if better wearing re: stains.

Dynamically ... early reviews are saying that the Golf 7 GTI that the rear dampers have been beefed up with improved anti-lift properties making for a secure handling GTI.

Top Gear Magazine U.K. edition gave the new Power-Pack Golf 7 GTI 7/10 stars for the same reason ... the step up from the MK6 Golf GTI is not that great. The LSD equiped PP GTI offers great grip & little or no understeer, but is a fairly clinical drive that is not the last word for visercal driving experiences. EVO say that their initial 6 -v- 7 Golf GTI drives suggest that the Golf 7 GTI is not anymore fun than the Golf MK6 GTI and that the Golf 7 GTI EA888 feels more diesel like in its power delivery with max power coming in much earlier around 4500rpm. Overall the Golf 7 would be an improvement over the previous model, can't argue with that.

Cheers.
    WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 05-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
    Quality may not be up to par with early examples of an entirely new model range (MQB). Hearing you on the quality and perceived quality. It appears that VW are using more choice materials, but somehow not managing to improve perceived quality ... more of a sideways step from the Mark 6.

I relished that the Golf MK6 felt small and compact, like you're part of the vehicle re: smaller sized cabin. The Golf 7, esp. in the front, feels like a much bigger vehicle re: interior. You could trade down to a Polo GTI, but this vehicle is a bit too small and has a dog of a motor re: reliability & oil usage (gearbox could be an issue too).

The absence of metal in the interior is a concern and it's not good to hear that the rattles & squeaky plastics are her to stay with the Golf 7 - squeaks were the bain of my complaints both my MK5 and MK6 Golf GTI's.

The grey interior on the Mark 6 Golf GTI was a step backwards imo ... such a sombre colour esp. if you work in an officer environment where grey tends to dominate. The cloth interior on the MK5 Golf GTI was really good quality & colour ... the jacky cloth in grey is more of an cheaper denim cost cutting measure imo, if better wearing re: stains.

Dynamically ... early reviews are saying that the Golf 7 GTI that the rear dampers have been beefed up with improved anti-lift properties making for a secure handling GTI.

Top Gear Magazine U.K. edition gave the new Power-Pack Golf 7 GTI 7/10 stars for the same reason ... the step up from the MK6 Golf GTI is not that great. The LSD equiped PP GTI offers great grip & little or no understeer, but is a fairly clinical drive that is not the last word for visercal driving experiences. EVO say that their initial 6 -v- 7 Golf GTI drives suggest that the Golf 7 GTI is not anymore fun than the Golf MK6 GTI and that the Golf 7 GTI EA888 feels more diesel like in its power delivery with max power coming in much earlier around 4500rpm. Overall the Golf 7 would be an improvement over the previous model, can't argue with that.

Cheers.
    WJ
    Mate, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the quality. I do think that in many aspects the Mk.7 is a sideways step. It's the perfect phrase to describe the aura and character. There is something missing here I believe, some of the Mk.6's special feeling inside. I agree with the fact that it IS better in almost every single way BUT something, something that you can't put your finger on is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Golf7 View Post
    Mate, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the quality. I do think that in many aspects the Mk.7 is a sideways step. It's the perfect phrase to describe the aura and character. There is something missing here I believe, some of the Mk.6's special feeling inside. I agree with the fact that it IS better in almost every single way BUT something, something that you can't put your finger on is wrong.
    My feeling is that, based on your experiences with the Mk6 coupled with the anticipation and specs of the new model, your expectations were perhaps a little unrealistic? It's certainly an easy thing to do; just think of the post-Christmas blues.

There's no question that the Mk6 is a pretty special car, and a hard act to follow, but it's by no means perfect. It too suffers from the odd squeak and rattle (many owners experience - and hate - the b-pillar creak), there are cheaper hard plastics in places, some of the electronics are limited in their functionality and frustrating in their execution, the Vienna leather is as much vinyl as anything else, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mk6 and think that it's a fantastic compromise for the money, but when you go in expecting perfection, you're always going to be disappointed. VW can't spend high-end Mercedes money building these cars, and there are only so many problems you can overcome with clever engineering and execution.

Some issues you notice will no doubt be addressed over time as the line matures, and with running changes. Either way, I'm sure the Mk7 will be a more-than-adequate successor to the VI.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    My feeling is that, based on your experiences with the Mk6 coupled with the anticipation and specs of the new model, your expectations were perhaps a little unrealistic? It's certainly an easy thing to do; just think of the post-Christmas blues.

There's no question that the Mk6 is a pretty special car, and a hard act to follow, but it's by no means perfect. It too suffers from the odd squeak and rattle (many owners experience - and hate - the b-pillar creak), there are cheaper hard plastics in places, some of the electronics are limited in their functionality and frustrating in their execution, the Vienna leather is as much vinyl as anything else, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mk6 and think that it's a fantastic compromise for the money, but when you go in expecting perfection, you're always going to be disappointed. VW can't spend high-end Mercedes money building these cars, and there are only so many problems you can overcome with clever engineering and execution.

Some issues you notice will no doubt be addressed over time as the line matures, and with running changes. Either way, I'm sure the Mk7 will be a more-than-adequate successor to the VI.
    Great words Adam, I feel pretty much exactly as you described. I wouldn't say I'm the dictionary definition of disappointed about the Mk.7 but I'm sort of lost, not sure where to go. No doubt it is a superb car and as you said I probably went in with expectations that it was going to be faster than a Veyron, burn a litre of fuel per 100kms etc. But is an amazing car, with a couple of niggles and sadly perfection it ain't. Having never spend longer than a day in the Mk.6 that car came closer to perfection for me, it just had, well less niggles that were visible to me. The Mk.7 is definitely more talented on the road, a bit bigger, more economical and to my eye looks a bit sharper but as I said with my suit example, a couple of small niggles leave me a bit lost... This coupled with my expectations and... We have my situation. It will without any doubt be my next car but philosophically I've got some questions. Perhaps it's the fact that we have seen this all before or something. I don't know... Oh and about the Mk.6, it always appeared to me (3 years ago when I first drove it) that it was something of a baby Benz, but even that would be doing it a disservice. I'll have the full review up later today hopefully. It will be much more precise and factual than my lousy words here.

Sat in a Highline on Friday and like many of you, I was underwhelmed. I felt the dashboard too blingly esp the piano black and the chrome highlights on the binnacle. In fact I happened to just step out of a 6 year old Astra and felt the dashboard looked better in the understated European way. Emperor's clothes?
    Last edited by soogs; 06-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast