Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf Starting Issues

Mk7 Golf Starting Issues

I have a 2016 VW Golf 92TSI Wagon with 50k on the clock. Mostly gets driven to the shops (15km round trip) and the occasional longer trip. It's hot in Perth, so its usually running warm, rather than cold.

Today, I tried to start it and it only sputtered to life, and then on the MFD, it said "Start/Stop Error"

Drove 8km to the shops, and then tried to restart the car, would not fire.

Opened up the bonnet, checked everything was connected (everything was fine)

Tried to re-start, it sputtered to life again but sounded weak.

What would be the potential cause for this?

Users Country Flag
    How long since the battery has been replaced? With start-stop they only seem to last 2-3 years...
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    How long since the battery has been replaced? With start-stop they only seem to last 2-3 years...
    Hi Shauno, it's the original battery. 2-3 years is so short !

If that's the case I'd love to find a way to permanently turn it off.

Users Country Flag
    Can be turned off with an OBDEleven in 2 minutes Ask if someone in your area can do it for sixpack

But battery is probably stuffed as its 4 years old now which is all I got out of my S/S

In saying that our Polo one lasted nearly 9 years and it only tootles a 5k round trip to the shops once a week
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-03-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Can be turned off with an OBDEleven in 2 minutes Ask if someone in your area can do it for sixpack

But battery is probably stuffed as its 4 years old now which is all I got out of my S/S

In saying that our Polo one lasted nearly 9 years and it only tootles a 5k round trip to the shops once a week
    Thanks. Am I OK to get the respective replacement from Autobarn or the likes, or do I need to go to the dealer (im assuming the dealer will rip me off)? Some sources say I need to have the car reprogrammed. Unsure if autobarn can do that or it's just the dealer.

Users Country Flag
    I used the NRMA Battery service last time, they were quick and easy.

But yes, your battery is most definitely stuffed by now.
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr sti View Post
    Thanks. Am I OK to get the respective replacement from Autobarn or the likes, or do I need to go to the dealer (im assuming the dealer will rip me off)? Some sources say I need to have the car reprogrammed. Unsure if autobarn can do that or it's just the dealer.
    When I changed mine the dealer was cheapest and yes it needs to be reset as it tell the computer its a new one and alters the charging rate etc in the car

Users Country Flag
    Yep sounds like battery is dying. Start/stop errors and other weird electrical issues start happening when the battery is on its way out.

The start/stop function puts a lot of stress on the batteries and they dont last as long, so the benefits in fuel savings (which are minimal anyway) are thrown out the window because you have to replace the (expensive) battery after only a few years.

The start/stop function can be disabled with either Carista, OBD11 or VCDS in a matter of minutes. If you ever come up to Newcastle, shoot me a message and I can disable it for you.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks all, appreciate your assistance and generosity. Dealer was about $550, Batteryworld is $350... However, Batteryworld say that they don't do anything with ensuring that the car knows its a new battery...

Users Country Flag

You should get it done as car will be still thinking its charging an old battery

My Passat one was $410 from dealer fitted and coded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast