Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK7 Golf R versus...

MK7 Golf R versus...

GTI –v- R

The Vehicles:

One standard Golf 7 GTI Manual Transmission versus an almost fully optioned Golf 7 R DSG with Leather and Driver Assist. 18” wheels for the GTI. 19” on the Golf 7 R.

The Route:

Vicinity of Sydney Airport, Mascot including La Peruse, comprising of roadways posted with 50 – 80kph speed limits.

Golf R:

Wow … keyless entry with a silver stop/start button. As soon as I drive out of the dealership in the Golf 7 R and strike the first storm water manhole cover 150m down the roadway, I hear a loud thud into the cabin and some suspension clatter noise. The immediate effect on the primary high-speed compression damping in the Golf 7 R combined with the 19” wheel/tyre package shows the Golf 7 R suspension tune to be much stiffer than the Golf 7 GTI.

The Golf 7 R is so stiff, even with DCC as standard in AUS, that it is not far off what you would feel in a Golf riding on KW coilover suspension … not as firm as the aftermarket sports coilovers, but a very terse damping indeed, with a lot more suspension noise and clatter compared to the lighter GTI. The 19” wheel/tyres is only part of the problem; the main issue appears to be the firmer suspension tune in the Golf R.

Taking a couple of turns into nearby Foreshore Drive with the Golf 7 R DSG in ‘Drive’ mode has the R shifting into 5th gear in no time at all at 70kph. No different to the preceding MK5 R32 and MK6 R in this regard re: fuel saving measures. The steering in the Golf 7 R is very much like the GTI in weight and feel, but feels more direct as a result of the tighter suspension/chassis control of the R.

DCC Normal mode has the Golf 7 R bucking, bobbing and fidgeting over small undulations and ripples in the concrete roadway that are hard to detect with the naked eye. Again … the Golf R is almost like a GTI fitted with sports coilover suspension system, such is the difference in ride stiffness between the two Golf’s.

DCC Comfort suspension mode does notably reduce the secondary ride low-speed compression fidgeting, bobbing and incessant patter on the concrete roadway waves, but does not eliminate this sensation in the R. In Comfort mode, the suspension adds greater pliancy in the initial first 1 inch or so of suspension compression, before abruptly firming up to provide a terse, almost jarring raw ride comfort. The Golf 7 R is certainly hunkered down well and does not display the looseness or slack in suspension travel the GTI provides.

The firmness of the R, even on roadway expansion joints and series of patchwork bitumen, adversely affects both ride comfort and suspension NVH levels, which creates an audible clatter noise heading towards spring binding slapping that emanates into the cabin and is notable in the Golf R as it is absent in the 7 GTI. With the extra sporty suspension control comes a loss in NVH that is also associated with aftermarket suspension that tend to forsake NVH for chassis control & agility.

Putting the Golf 7 R into ‘Race’ mode only exacerbates this situation, leading me to believe that the Golf 7 R was designed primarily for smooth roadways, fast autobahn cruising and the racetrack. The perplexing issue is that the preceding MK6 Golf R always felt like it rode with more refinement and comfort due to its extra weight over both axles compared to the MK6 Golf GTI. The tables appear to reversed with the Golf 7 R –v- GTI in terms of ride comfort, with the GTI well out in front as a refined ride.

The extra sportiness of the Golf 7 R chassis tune does help the R mask the extra 130kgs of extra weight to a degree, but not completely and the more even balance front to rear can be felt on the street at public roadway speeds over the GTI. The Golf R chassis does not move around as much in terms of body roll, pitch or squat making for extra focus and directness in direction changes, but less playful than the less balance, softer and lighter GTI.

The engine in the Golf 7 R is a cracker, probably the biggest improvement when compared to the previous MK5 R32 and MK6 R (EA113) motors. The turbo lag in the 7 R has been notably reduced over the MK6 R, with greater linearity in power delivery from 2K onwards and upwards in the rev range.

The fuel metering is fantastic, with no notable peaks or troughs in the 7 R power supply, and feels close to the power deliver of the Golf 7 GTI than the previous MK6 Golf R. Previously, in the MK6 versions, the GTI and R motors were like chalk and cheese. The Golf 7 versions of the GTI and R are much closer in how they go about making their forward thrust, with the exception of the Golf R power-plant spinning up the rev range faster with greater ferocity.

The Golf 7 R under 2,000rpm when off boost around town does suffer from exhaust drone, which is likely to become annoying over the longer-term (i.e. 50-60kph in Drive DSG 5th gear). There is also a much greater whistle & whooshing sound from the turbine as it spools up throughout the rev range in the Golf 7 R, almost like someone has chipped a GTI with extra boost creating extra turbine & compression whooshing sounds … like the suspension … very aftermarket in sound and flavor. The Golf 7 R also manages to lose a lot of that Subaru Boxer Motor Warble sound so prevalent in the Golf 7 GTI.

The AWD grip of the Golf R is fantastic from standing start, even with light rain coming on and on a wet roadway, the Golf R just grips and goes. I could not detect any great advances in the Haldex controller over that of the MK6 Golf R, which was greatly improved over the earlier MKV R32. Getaways from stationary position in the Golf 7 R is drama free, the very firm suspension keeps the chassis very stable and AWD offers no histrionics in forward motion. Taking off seemed to be a bit of an anodyne experience in the Golf 7 R … fast? Yes. But fun? No. Just grip and go with little or no effort from the driver.

Negotiating corners in ‘Race’ mode provides the faint feel that torque vectoring is still working on the driver’s side to assist in the rotation of the Golf 7 R. The Golf 7 R has the GTI’s measure in keeping a tight line around corners and will ultimate fall into slight understeer with the front end starting to scrub and pushing wide every so slightly.

Heading back to the dealership on Botany Road near Sydney Airport has the Golf 7 R bucking, dipping, and bobbing up and down with chassis patter, which has me thinking that the Golf 7 R is not the ideal choice for a long interstate commute or for those that carry around their families. My regular trips from Sydney to the Gold Coast, Queensland would be testing the friendship in the Golf 7 R, especially on the B-grade roadway between Coffs Harbour and Ballina via Grafton in New South Wales.

The jury is out on the Golf 7 R body kit, black metal steering wheel spokes, but the leather interior and side bolstering appears to have improved over and above the previous MKV and MK6 Golfs.

In conclusion, I formed the opinion that the Golf 7 R is basically a better balanced Golf 7 GTI with almost aftermarket suspension tune fitted to the detriment of ride comfort, refinement and suspension NVH. The extra turbo boost whistle & whooshing sounds are akin to a boosted/chipped Golf 7 GTI, only with a lot more grip at lower speeds.
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 15-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.

GTI:

The basic standard Golf 7 GTI Manual Transmission is about 130 kgs lighter than the Golf 7 R DSG, and it feels to be lighter in day to day driving. The lighter chassis is coupled with looser suspension providing additional slack in soaking roadway irregularities. At public roadway speeds, you are always cognizant of the greater front end weight bias and lighter rear end of the FWD Golf 7 GTI. The GTI rolls, dives and squats to a much greater degree than the Golf R, although this does not seem to hamper the GTI much in terms of understeer under steady state cornering with uniform throttle application due to the lighter overall weight of the Golf GTI.

The Golf 7 GTI lacks the R's immediacy in change of direction, with the softer tuned suspension making the similarly weighted steering more dominate to the point that the steering is sometimes waiting for the chassis to catch up when darting from corner to corner. At times, the steering in the GTI can feel sticky around and just off centre line, especially in ‘Sport’ setting. Likewise the throttle application when applying part throttle inputs in the GTI. This trait was not evident in the Golf 7 R, which feels to be free of these two tendencies in the GTI. The Golf 7 R’s tighter and sportier (and louder) chassis tune keeps abreast of the fast and direct Golf 7 variable steering rack as appears to be better matched to the faster steering rack of the Golf 7.

The less focussed softer suspension tune of the GTI does require the driver to work more vigorously to extract the best from the GTI, with ultimately less directness and less forward motion, but providing added driver engagement and fun factor. The Golf GTI rides much better and feels to be the refined choice, much less aftermarket in suspension tune when compared to the Golf 7 R.

Getaways from stationary position in the GTI is a mixed bag. Sometimes the front end hooks up fantastically; sometimes (about 2/3rds of the time) the front end is troubling the electronics.

In terms of suspension compliance and ride comfort:

All modes, whether it be DCC suspension Comfort, Normal or Sport ride better in the GTI than strictly ‘Comfort’ setting in the Golf 7 R. In this respect, the Golf 7 R has become more one dimensional, whereas the GTI manages to cover all bases effectively in terms of Ride Comfort –v- Sportiness compromise.

Putting the Golf 7 R into Normal or Race mode only makes the ride comfort a hell of a lot worse. I can see a lot of prospective Golf 7 R owners spending 90% of their time driving around in DCC Comfort mode, which in concert with the large 19” wheel/tyre package (what was VW AUS thinking when picking the 19” wheel as std fitment) will provide a harsher ride than the GTI owner running around in ‘Sport’ mode.

In terms of low speed handling, the GTI was put into ‘Sport’ mode and the ESP also put into ‘Sport’ mode to provide a direct comparison with the Golf 7 R in ‘Race’ mode (R does not have Sport mode apparently). Maintaining a tight line in the GTI will ultimately ask too much of the inside front wheel and have the GTI pushing wide under power in slow speed tight corners.

The Golf 7 R pushes wide only very slightly and manages to maintain much greater forward momentum, without any need for the driver to back out of the gas. The GTI will have the driver lifting off the loud pedal to tighten the line, slowing forward momentum out of slow speed tight turns. This is not so much an issue with the GTI once speeds rise and the lighter rear end coupled with the softer chassis tune can bring the rear end into play to greater effect than the stiffer chassis tune of the Golf R.

Upon return to the dealership, driving alone Botany Road, the GTI smothered the roadway irregularities and undulations to much greater effect than the Golf 7 R, so much so, the GTI felt like a Mercedes limousine compared to the Golf 7 R, which felt closer to a GTI fitted with a set of KW coilovers (KW coilovers do ride better than Bilstein coilovers imo).

The Golf GTI’s ability to soak up bumps and lack of suspension NVH is well and truly another notch or two above the harder riding and noisy Golf 7 R, so much so, that it had me thinking that the Golf 7 R was not greatly improved for ride comfort and NVH levels over the preceding MK6 Golf R or MKV Golf R32 for that matter.
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 16-04-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Conclusion:

The new Golf 7 R is fast and furious, with outstanding levels of AWD grip, a fast and audible linear turbo rush and whoosh to match, with a great deal of suspension control providing the direct focus that many will endear on a track day outing. These added benefits are at an expense of the GTI’s refinement, fun factor, accessible driver engagement, ride comfort, livability/usability in the real world and cabin NVH levels for suspension noise intrusion.

When comparing the preceding MK6 versions of the GTI –v- Golf R, the result was so damn close you could call it 50:50 even. The Golf 7 GTI –v- Golf 7 R review, albeit a short review drive, had me happy to hand back the keys to the Golf 7 R in lieu of the better riding basic spec Golf 7 GTI Manual Transmission vehicle. And that was not taking consideration of the price disparity between the GTI and R.

The GTI has broadened its talents and appeal.

The Golf R has become more one dimensional. Whether that’s a good or bad thing is for each prospective owner to ponder.

WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 15-04-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Pics to follow: Page 24 - Post #518.

WHITE JAMES: Suspension & Wheel Reviews - Page 24 - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Standard GTI 18" wheels look best imo. PP GTI 19" wheels look terrible. Golf R 19" wheels look a bit fussy, offer less compliance and feel heavy compared to the 18" Standard GTI wheels.

WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 15-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
    GTI –v- R

The Vehicles:

One standard Golf 7 GTI Manual Transmission versus an almost fully optioned Golf 7 R DSG with Leather and Driver Assist. 18” wheels for the GTI. 19” on the Golf 7 R.

The Route:

Vicinity of Sydney Airport, Mascot including La Peruse, comprising of roadways posted with 50 – 80kph speed limits.
    Found em
    Last edited by AdamD; 16-04-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Users Country Flag
    Long story short the base GTI is still the king. Who would have known James, who would have known? Mr consistency should be your screen name.

I'm glad you can distill all the facts from a twenty minute drive in city streets.

Confirmation bias in action

Salesman's Warning

The dealership salesman warned me that the ride comfort in the new Golf 7 R is terse and that I would feel all the roadway irregularities & undulations, even in Comfort mode, coming from a Golf 7 GTI. Prior to the Golf 7 R DSG drive, I was bullish on the Manual Trans Golf 7 R, especially when compared to the PP GTI (DSG) in price and for driver engagement. After the drive in the Golf 7 R, I formed the opinion that I'd rather wait for the 'Carbon Edition' Golf 7 GTI, hopefully with Carbon Roof, Carbon Bonnet and Carbon Front Quarter Panels preferably being a PP GTI with Manual Transmission & 18" wheels … if they ever bring that type of vehicle into AUS. Having said that, the Audi S3 may offer an alternative chassis tune to the Golf 7 R, in addition to 18" wheel/tyre package. To me, the base Golf 7 GTI feels a more fluid handling & better riding vehicle, so long as your not too brutal with the loud pedal at very low speeds. To unlock the true benefits of the Golf 7 R, best to head to the Northern Territory or Race Track ... even then, the level of engagement is unlikely to overwhelmingly impress with torque vectoring on the 7 R.

WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 16-04-2014 at 07:29 AM.

White James I love reading your reviews, detailed and well written.
    Could I ask a favor and ask that you start a 8v S3 vs mk7 golf r thread?? Would be great to have a detailed comparison between the two.
    As I am sure you are aware on the golf r thread the S3 vs golf R is a hot topic.
    Cheers Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 VW Golf TDI Highline DSG - Limestone Green, DAP, Xenons
    2018 VW Golf R Hatch DSG - White Silver, DAP , Dynaudio
    2016 Skoda Superb 140TDI - Family Members
    2013 VW Amarok TDI420 Highline Auto - Family Members

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast