Support VWWC

Thread: MK7 GOLF R Early Turbo advice

Users Country Flag

MK7 GOLF R Early Turbo advice

Hi guys,

I'm a brand newy to the VW scene and just acquired my 2014 GOLF R with only 45k kms on the clock.
    Absolutely love it so far.

I've been trying to map out my upgrades moving forward and came across a few forum posts about the dreaded turbo failure that was known to happen on the early revision R's. As a result I have checked my turbo and it's indeed the 1st revision 06K 145 702N model.

My plans were to do a stage 1 + DSG tune plus usual supporting mods, however I'm now filled with fear about the turbo failing and ultimately causing engine failure (worst case scenario). If I could please ask some insight/advice from others who have faced or known others who have faced this issue. I also know that there was only a small percentage of failures and have read that most people are being overly pessimistic about the situation.

Is it safe to assume that because the car has done 45K km's I've got a good turbo or is it just a ticking time bomb that will be inflated once I put more boost into the turbo?

Should I just bite the bullet and replace to a higher revision turbo?

Maybe just send it and hope that the oil filter does it job??

Just thoughts and would love some feedback from the community. Much thanks in advanced.

With these, honestly, it's a possibility but luck of the draw. It's a common fault of the IS38, and I've seen 722Hs blow, all the way up to the newest revision. Everybody also runs different aftermarket parts, tunes and has different driving habits so it's difficult to really get to the bottom of why they fail so spectacularly haha.

In any case, when they go, usually you will have damage to the charge pipes, intercooler and catalytic converter. I haven't known anyone personally to have suffered engine loss though that's not to say it's impossible.

So it's really up to you, I'd probably just send it and if it goes, know the costs you'll be up for to replace the damaged equipment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

That’s my approach. Go hard and if it dies then go stage 3
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.