Page 489 of 494 FirstFirst ... 389439479487488489490491 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 4938

Thread: Mk7 Golf R Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

Hi all - just wondered what you guys think, I have a 2017 Golf R Wolfie that doesn't get driven much, short trips mainly & so only around 18k on the clock.

Recently it developed a coolant leak, it's just out of warranty but VW were kind enough to deal with under warranty as a goodwill gesture.

However, I was shocked that it's a $1700 odd fix to do so very relieved not to be doing it under warranty.

My question is, if I'm driving the car this infrequently, am I likely to keep running into this sort of problem? The service guys told me that it's a by product of not driving the car often enough that the seals can dry out a bit & fail. Wondered if anyone can comment on this.

Users Country Flag
    Sadly, this is very very true.
    A car will deteriorate (in the mechanical areas) very quickly indeed if not driven.
    I have a couple of cars and you need to get into the habit starting them and driving them at least once a week. If you cant drive them then you must start them up to engine operating temp at least every week.
    In the Second world war. The German Tiger tanks had to be run for 20 minutes every day or they would simply never start again. Things have changed but maybe not that much.
    The Car: MY20 Black Golf R Final Edition, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    Hi all - just wondered what you guys think, I have a 2017 Golf R Wolfie that doesn't get driven much, short trips mainly & so only around 18k on the clock.

Recently it developed a coolant leak, it's just out of warranty but VW were kind enough to deal with under warranty as a goodwill gesture.

However, I was shocked that it's a $1700 odd fix to do so very relieved not to be doing it under warranty.

My question is, if I'm driving the car this infrequently, am I likely to keep running into this sort of problem? The service guys told me that it's a by product of not driving the car often enough that the seals can dry out a bit & fail. Wondered if anyone can comment on this.
    Hi ...what was the exact nature of the leak. MY dealer has said my MK 7 GTI PP has " thermostat housing starting to leak" cost to fix with some goodwill on the parts is $750 ...car is a 2016. However there is no leak visible to me and the coolant level hasnt dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post

This is total BS IMO. The thermostat housing on the EA888 engine is simply just a crap design.

Despite VW making many changes to fix the problem (there have been multiple "revisions" to the part) they continue to fail, regardless of how much or how little a car is driven.

There is a constant stream (pun intended) of reports of these leaking coolant and needing fixing, so much so that a cynic (like me) can only speculate that it is a deliberate ploy by VW to increase both their profits (by selling parts outside of warranty) and that dealers are complicit in the scam because they are getting paid for the labour (whether in or out of warranty).

If VW were serious about fixing the issue they would have redesigned the part/s so they no longer failed.

It is true that seals can dry out and fail on cars that are not driven for long periods, but I do not believe that this is the cause of the problem with thermostat housings leaking coolant. I note that there are no external seals on rotating shafts that are causing these leaks.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 26-03-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    ^ i agree with the above. VW/Audi/Skoda waterpumps and thermostats are a common and consistent failure amongst all models. They are a rubbish design, no doubt engineered to fail, and being made out of plastic - while it makes them lightweight and cheap to manufacture, makes them prone to crack and become brittle with years of heat cycles.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    ^ i agree with the above. VW/Audi/Skoda waterpumps and thermostats are a common and consistent failure amongst all models. They are a rubbish design, no doubt engineered to fail, and being made out of plastic - while it makes them lightweight and cheap to manufacture, makes them prone to crack and become brittle with years of heat cycles.
    I wonder if there is an aftermarket alternative option ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Not that I've heard of - yet ....
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    There is (traditional cast aluminium) for Mk5 and Mk6, but nothing I am aware of for the Mk7 yet. Im sure someone will make something at some stage though.

In the meantime you are forced to replace a crap part which is designed to fail with an identical crap part which will do the same.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

Mk7 Golf R Discussion Thread

Speak of the devil....mines leaking. 2015 Mk7 GTI. Only a very small leak at the moment so ill clean it up, top up the overflow tank and monitor it over the next few months. The car is getting its major 60,000km service next week so not exactly keen to spend an additional $1k+ on a water pump yet.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 27-03-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

HGP Stage 1 8R Includes modified ECU DSG tune modified series Turbo 444 PS 564 Nm stock exhaust check out the video

Mein Fahreindruck: HGP Golf 8 R 444 PS - Zeiten messen, TopSpeed, Sound und Wägung ????(Teil2/2) - YouTube
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Page 489 of 494 FirstFirst ... 389439479487488489490491 ... LastLast