Page 187 of 495 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 4941

Thread: Mk7 Golf R Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    Lambertia and Logger, regardless of what the owner's manual says, Andrew advised his car did brake before impact, which is not how the "Multi-collision brake" function works, where automatic controlled braking is triggered only once an initial collision has been detected by the airbag sensors.
    Yes, his car braked because he had Front Assist, nothing to do with Multi-collision.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

No,
    According to Andrew he was "not sure if I hit the breaks (sic) or driver assistance did but I stopped within 50 feet of impact all airbags deployed cabin full of smoke ". He also said he "hit him literally at full speed" which also suggests the braking event occurred after the impact.
    From the reading I have done the VW Front assist radar has little or no ability to detect animals or people in its path. Happy to be corrected though if you can show me a tech document that say otherwise. My money is on Multi Collision, nothing to do with front Assist Radar.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    No,
    According to Andrew he was "not sure if I hit the breaks (sic) or driver assistance did but I stopped within 50 feet of impact all airbags deployed cabin full of smoke ". He also said he "hit him literally at full speed" which also suggests the braking event occurred after the impact.
    From the reading I have done the VW Front assist radar has little or no ability to detect animals or people in its path. Happy to be corrected though if you can show me a tech document that say otherwise. My money is on Multi Collision, nothing to do with front Assist Radar.
    Logger, your quote of Andrew's is from post #1803 on 21/7, mine is from his post #1832 on 25/7, where I presume he has gathered his thoughts and re-evaluated the events. What happens in real life, not in operating manuals is what counts. If Andrew is confused and still unsure, then the jury will remain deadlocked.

Actually Mikey, whilst Andrew was there in real life, he would not be the best person to judge which system activated and when. His recollections of going "from 100kmh to zero in a split second", whilst valuable, would not stack up against a technician diagnosing the modules to see what activated and in which sequence.

I drive in the country at night all the time and would love a system protected me against hitting wombat, Roos and stock on the road. Nightmare scenario for country drivers is black cattle and Andrew was Damned lucky. They are near impossible to see.

In any case my issue is with attributing capabilities to the current VW Front Assist system that I do not believe it has. It is a radar sensor designed to detect metallic objects (Cars). Animal capable systems seemingly require optical and thermal sensor as well, which this system does not have.

To put it another way, if VW Front Assist was designed to detect animals it would have readily detected a 1 ton bull straight ahead, through the oncoming headlight glare and applied the brakes avoiding a collision. It is not designed to do so and as result it did not.

I will research the system some more and see what I can come up with.

Users Country Flag
    Hi All!

I didn't mean to start a big argument I just wanted to point out that the manual says ACC and the Front-Assist/City-Brake won't detect stationary objects. In my experience in most cases it does not. But in some cases it does. I would be interested in the dump of the black boxes to see exactly what happened.

I'm sure we can all agree that the safety features of the car worked together to save Andrew from something that could have been very nasty. And we're thankful for that.

I'm also sure that we all had a little cry at the death of such a beautiful car

Cheers,
    --
    Greg.
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Can someone point me to a photo of all the R colour options on actual cars so I can compare. The brochure swatches are hard to envisiage..
    Here's my LSG. Love it.

Nice DrK, Looks really nice and somewhat classy. The Lapiz Blue is all over the brochure so I can envisiage that. There are black, white and red options which are also straight forward to imagine. I think that that just leaves a second greyish or perhaps bronze variant (not having the brochure nearby right now).
    Last edited by logger; 28-07-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Users Country Flag

Can someone point me to a photo of all the R colour options on actual cars so I can compare. The brochure swatches are hard to envisiage..
    Here's my Reflex Silver
    2014 - Mk 7 Golf R in Silver | 2011 - Polo TDI in Yellow | 1981 - Lincoln Town Car in 80s beige

Users Country Flag

^nice pictures well done

Page 187 of 495 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast