Page 185 of 495 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 4941

Thread: Mk7 Golf R Discussion Thread

Das Auto Magazine

Earlier today, I received an email from Volkswagen Australia, providing reference to the online version of the current Winter 2014 edition. I thought it strange to receive this notification, as I was unaware they had initiated a web version. There was no mention in the email that they were now making this publication web view only. It was only in June that I picked up a hard copy of the same magazine edition from Barloworld Glen Waverley. Has anybody else received the same email? Of course, the front cover and feature article is on the new Golf R.

Users Country Flag
    yes, received the same email - also thought it a bit strange!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by samps View Post
    Firstly, glad to hear you're ok Andrew. What I don't understand is how the car detected an impassable object from 50m away and didn't manage to pull up before that? We tested my Mk6 GTI a few times from 100km/h and it took around 40-45m to stop. Does the collision avoidance system not apply full braking?
    The manual says that the front assist is not able to detect stationary objects or objects crossing the road. You can test this yourself by turning on the ACC and approaching stationary traffic when there is no car locked in. You'll need to brake yourself.

I don't understand why this is the case.

I'm thankful that the car was able to spot the cow in this case. A shame that the R had to go to god but it beats the alternative.
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

I doubt very much the car detected the cow at all. It would have reacted AFTER the impact.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    I doubt very much the car detected the cow at all. It would have reacted AFTER the impact.
    Yes maybe it was the secondary impact braking thing. That's what it's designed to do isn't it - to stop the car going into the trees.
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Golf R and P Plates

In Victoria the R is a probationary prohibited vehicle at 143KW/ton exceeding the 130KW/ton threshold.

I will probably be buying an R and it may very occasionally be handy for my P plater daughter to drive it, so I checked the rules.

Probationary Prohibited vehicle
    A vehicle that:
    has a power to mass ratio of greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne, or
    has an engine that has been modified to increase performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle).

Got me thinking the R's power output needs to be reduced from 206KW to 186KW for it to comply.

So lets say I get a switchable stage 1 tune when it becomes available that includes a "valet" program that reduces power to < 186kw or something less along with a certificate to say so.

Then with regard to the dual criteria:
    1) My R will have a power to mass ratio less than 130 kw per ton. Check.
    2) The engine has been specifically modified to decrease performance and the power to mass ratio to less than 130 kilowatts per tonne. Check.

So long as appropriate tune is in effect when she drives it then all is good. whaddyareckon??

Nice try, but I would think the 2nd condition would apply to those vehicles which do not already meet the 1st condition. Best you speak to your state motoring authority for a definitive ruling.

Yeah I know a nice try. It seems open to interpretation. But common sense (not the law) would suggest that as long as the car actually is hobbled when she drives it and documentation shows PMR is < 130 then it should be OK. But as you say best I speak to VicRoads to seek an exemption when the time comes.

Users Country Flag
    I hate to be disloyal but I am also going to price up an Audi S3 with Performance Pack (I did get a pretty reasonable quote 1st time around). The interior is so beautiful and I figure it's worth reconsidering now that I have the unexpected opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by andrew7 View Post
    I hate to be disloyal but I am also going to price up an Audi S3 with Performance Pack (I did get a pretty reasonable quote 1st time around). The interior is so beautiful and I figure it's worth reconsidering now that I have the unexpected opportunity
    My money is on you getting an S3, which ticks a few more boxes than the R. It doesn't handle, feel or sound quite the same, but it all depends on your priorities right now.

Page 185 of 495 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast