Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk7 Golf R with dealership over 14 weeks still not fixed

Users Country Flag

Angry Mk7 Golf R with dealership over 14 weeks still not fixed

Hi guys,

I am really frustrated currently. My golf R has had a lot of parts replaced - pending parts list from VW castle hill service center. They have been in constant talks with VW regarding the issue.

What's happening is the exhaust sometimes sounds like its struggling along with the car shaking and the rev needle moving quite significantly.

Now I got the car back for the weekend to test and it was beautiful until I noticed it happened again on Sunday.

Apparently, it was the camshaft which was replaced and replaced again due to a seal being faulty on the new replacement part.

This seems not to be the case as the issue still resides.

Does anyone else have the issue or can recommend any course of action?

Office of Fair trading in your local state.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Have you actually spoken to VW yourself?
    Posting your problem on their facebook page gets a quick response from my experience.

If there was any metal wear on the old camshaft, then who knows where else within the engine there could be small pieces of metal rubbing/blocking places they shouldn’t.

Facebook (vw aus site) to make a public post (be polite and only state facts)

Call vw aus and make a formal complaint. Email from their website too, so you have a ‘paper trail’

Good luck with it.

Users Country Flag
    Took them 12 weeks to fix my 2014 Polo GTI. Returned to me several times but I was still able reproduce the fault after 15 mins of driving. They replaced all manner of expensive parts (head, computer, etc) until they found a worn sensor wire. When I finally got the car back I found the suspension cable tied to the brake lines which pulled the brake line out of its clip and nearly sheared the line... multiple bolts missing from exhaust, oil in the intake. Brighton VW.

Ben
    Current: ‘18 Golf GTI Original
    Past: ‘05 RS 225 Cup
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    So sorry to hear of your trouble---The advice provided above is a great start----I truly hope this comes to a satisfactory conclusion for you soon...
    FWIW- I had an issue with my GTI S where it would not start---A simple check showed it was fuel delivery related. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and remained there for 10 day. This was a warranty repair. It seems that no matter where in the world you are the existence of skilled automotive technicians is a rarity. My dealership started at the engine and worked backwards changing the HP fuel pump, then the LP fuel pump and finally found the issue when they changed the controller for the LP pump( the small controller under the rear seat)....I've no idea what this cost VW but one would imagine that you would start at the fuel tank then work forwards to the engine. This situation was even more comical when one considers that the controller for the LP pump was a documented issue and I provided the Service Writer copies of forum posts detailing said issue.....
    Last edited by loujr; 10-01-2019 at 03:48 AM.
    VERY White

Quote Originally Posted by loujr View Post
    . This situation was even more comical when one considers that the controller for the LP pump was a documented issue and I provided the Service Writer copies of forum posts detailing said issue.....
    I know service techs are supposed to follow the VW prescribed procedures when diagnosing faults, but where is the common sense to short-cut said procedures when it is blindingly obvious what is wrong ?

Sometimes VW is excessively bureaucratic.

Some years ago I had an oil cooler fail on my T5, so it was replaced under warranty with an updated part. Soon after there was a "campaign" to replace the old (possibly defective) oil coolers on all T5s.

I was called in to as part of the campaign, being curious I asked if the part number for the campaign was the same as the new one I had recently had replaced.

It was, so I suggested they just tick the box (ie paperwork only) and call the job done. The less disturbance the better as far as I'm concerned, and it seemed ridiculous to pull off a perfectly good part and replace it with an identical one.

The service manager agreed with my logic, but said if they didn't replace it I would lose my warranty ! Crazy Sh!+ !!! (and yes, I reluctantly allowed them to swap it for the identical part, so the job and the paperwork was done according to VW rules)
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 10-01-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Same as on the MkV GTI's when they used to blow DV's all the time initially and there were service bulletins from OS but you still had to argue until you were blue in the face with your service manager to get them to just look at that part right away when you took the car in with a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by loujr View Post
    So sorry to hear of your trouble---The advice provided above is a great start----I truly hope this comes to a satisfactory conclusion for you soon...
    FWIW- I had an issue with my GTI S where it would not start---A simple check showed it was fuel delivery related. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and remained there for 10 day. This was a warranty repair. It seems that no matter where in the world you are the existence of skilled automotive technicians is a rarity. My dealership started at the engine and worked backwards changing the HP fuel pump, then the LP fuel pump and finally found the issue when they changed the controller for the LP pump( the small controller under the rear seat)....I've no idea what this cost VW but one would imagine that you would start at the fuel tank then work forwards to the engine. This situation was even more comical when one considers that the controller for the LP pump was a documented issue and I provided the Service Writer copies of forum posts detailing said issue.....
    And forum experts are always right? The complexity of today's cars are huge. Today we had a car towed in, no start, no run. Fault finding revealed a short across two CAN lines which just might be a PCM but let's look a little further. A bit of poking around got us not much further so the front bar was pulled off and we started to get serious eventually deciding to pull the fuse box out for a look see and there lay the problem. This car had been to a lock smith and someone else as well and we found a fuse wrongly inserted in the fuse box to the extent they had broken the non insert tabs to do it, pulled it out and lo and behold all the problems went away. Obviously put in there by an expert of some kind. I relate this to demonstrate that not all problems in modern cars are the same, this could also have been a fuel pressure fault, no fuel no start. It was also at a dealer, but that shouldn't happen because dealers know nothing.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

So I received a call today from the dealer stating after the diagnostics that have been completed manually because they could not source this cable for testing. Apparently, VW Australia does not have any available. The issue is the throttle body which they will order and replace. This was diagnosed by VW Australia engineer from head office and sent to Germany apparently. Does anyone know why a special test is required for this to be found, the original tests showed camshaft errors and that was replaced twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast