Support VWWC

Page 282 of 334 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 3333

Thread: Mk7 Golf GTI Discussion Thread

Hi Guys,

I noticed whilst sitting in bad traffic on the freeway that when my GTI was crawling along at around 10kph the fuel consumption was reading in the high 20's to 30's. However once I got up to 20kph or more it started to improve. Can anyone explain this? Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bobg View Post
    Hi Guys,

I noticed whilst sitting in bad traffic on the freeway that when my GTI was crawling along at around 10kph the fuel consumption was reading in the high 20's to 30's. However once I got up to 20kph or more it started to improve. Can anyone explain this? Cheers
    All cars do this. In first or second gear at 3k rpm the car is travelling slowly so won't cover much distance at that speed, so your economy wont be great. In a higher gear but still pulling 3k rpm your covering much more distance for the same fuel burn, so your economy improves.

The same thing will happen even if you stay in the same gear, but to a lesser degree. Your rpms are increasing but so is your speed, so you will see a small improvement in econmy to a point.

I think that's what you're asking anyway!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post
    All cars do this. In first or second gear at 3k rpm the car is travelling slowly so won't cover much distance at that speed, so your economy wont be great. In a higher gear but still pulling 3k rpm your covering much more distance for the same fuel burn, so your economy improves.

The same thing will happen even if you stay in the same gear, but to a lesser degree. Your rpms are increasing but so is your speed, so you will see a small improvement in econmy to a point.

I think that's what you're asking anyway!
    +1 and additionally, I know that the VW fuel consumption can either be shown as 1. average of the trip OR the 2. last time it was reset (Not the technical term, but you get the idea). So if you leave your house and then get into stop start traffic quickly the 1. average of the trip will sky rocket for the reasons 'mattaus' explained. This will however not impact the longterm 2. last time it was reset because it is instantly compared to the much larger distance/consumption average to calculate from. Thus a less volatile number.

The reason i have split it out into 1. and 2. is because on the display in your instrument cluster you can toggle between the two by pressing 'OK' on the steering wheel with the numbers 1. & 2 indicating which average you are seeing.

Hope this helps!

Question: I'm about to do a deal on a new gti. My question is with my trade in from two different dealers I can choose either between a MY14GTIpp demo with a few kays on the clock or a new MY15 manual base model in white for the same change over.

What do people rekon? I quite like the way the manual drives but im sure the traffic jams will piss me off and I really like the b-xenons and 19' rims of the pp?
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by thezoneR32 View Post
    Question: I'm about to do a deal on a new gti. My question is with my trade in from two different dealers I can choose either between a MY14GTIpp demo with a few kays on the clock or a new MY15 manual base model in white for the same change over.

What do people rekon? I quite like the way the manual drives but im sure the traffic jams will piss me off and I really like the b-xenons and 19' rims of the pp?
    I hope that you are getting a massive discount on both of those options.

Bear in mind that the MY16 is available now. Is the GTI manual in stock or does it have to be ordered? If it has to be ordered it will be an MY16 any way and you will get the Bi-Xenons. If you are not familiar with the changes to the MY16 model I would suggest that you read this post:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/2015/07/volkswagen-australia-announces-sweeping-model-changes-with-my16-updates/
    IMO the update is quite substantial and as I have had quite a bit of experience with the outgoing 5.8" multimedia unit (which is slow and horrible) the update to the new 6.5" is worth waiting for.

I am currently waiting for my MY16 GTI PP to be delivered (expected mid September). Red with Driver Assistance Package, Sunroof and extended warranty and I paid just under $53, 500.00 drive away. It it worth noting that I negotiated this price in May based upon the Drive Away special (which is still current on the MY15 models) and before any information regarding the MY16's had been officially released. I am sure that you could still get a good deal on the MY16 though if you are willing to negotiate hard, shop around and don't be afraid to make the dealer think that you are going to take your business elsewhere.

Users Country Flag

Guess you need to weigh up what's more important, and how often you'll be stuck in traffic.

I agree that the old screen is horrid, i actually understand why people would want to upgrade it (although not for the prices being bandied about). If xenons are desirable - and they are if you do country night driving - then deal on the MY16 manual. It's probably a better value proposition for you and .. Oh.. You like Santiagos? Right. Ok, I was going to say it's a good way to avoid those things.

An optioned GTI is a nice thing, but I struggle to get my head around a GTI that starts with a 5.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

No this is $42k driveaway less my trade in for either a new MY15 gti man or MY14 GTI PP demo. I have got them up to a pretty good price on my trade in so from this point if I want an MY16 I would have to kick in at least another $5k just for the base man.
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag
    A friend took delivery of a 2016 Scirocco R yesterday. The upgraded infotainment unit it a massive step above the previous generation. He was using CarPlay which seemed to function fairly well. Unfortunately I need to update my Android phone to support Android Auto so I didn't get a chance to muck around with it much. The system responds well and is very quick to pick on the phone when plugged in. Screen resolution is loads better than the old screen and the colours really pop.

Not saying that the infotainment unit should sway your decision. Just that it is a decent upgrade. Remember the MY16 are supposed to be $2k cheaper than their MY15 equivalents (obviously the MY15 cars would have dropped in price to move of course).
    Last edited by mattaus; 16-08-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Good point with the upgraded nav system, not to mention the bixenons. I might as well wait a few more months and get a deal on the new model. Im sure my trade in wont come down that much.
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag

Good point with the upgraded nav system, not to mention the bixenons. I might as well wait a few more months and get a deal on the new model. Im sure my trade in wont come down that much.
    Why not do a deal on a new one now and try to sell your car privately while you wait for the new one?

If you talk to your dealer and ask them if they can provide a loan car if you sell your car privately before taking delivery of the new car they will probably help you out (It is my understanding that most dealers provide this service). This also frees you up to sell your car for a little bit more than the trade in offer. Even if you only get $1k - $3k more than what the dealer is offering you that is a better deal for you.

Page 282 of 334 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332 ... LastLast