Support VWWC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Class Action re Thermostats/Water Pumps

Potential Class Action re Thermostats/Water Pumps

After replacing one water pump on my Mk7 R due to a leaking thermostat at 40ks, just over 20ks later it is leaking again. At almost $2k per pop this is a great ongoing revenue stream for VW and their dealers, and doesn’t seem like anything they intend to fix.
    In the US there has been a successful class action on this issue, with warranty being extended to 8 years, and refunds to people that have paid to replace in the past. I’ve spoken to a legal firm that might be willing to pick it up in Australia if there is enough interest - please let me know if you have been impacted and will sign up. I don’t think there’s any specific action required other than confirmation of having been affected.
    Last edited by kevvie; 10-09-2022 at 09:41 AM.

8 years? How about for the life of the car. I've never replaced parts like these before.

It hasn't affected my GTI yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Should be easy win with the outcome in the US, but it should be for life until they fix a problem that no other manufacturer has, or they will keep getting revenue beyond that time frame.

They could do it, they just don't want to.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Hiya Kevvie,
    Just had the 2015 comfortline serviced where they also replaced the (gear shift) trim free of charge.
    They also noted that there was a slight water pump leak and quoted around $1200 for the repair.
    At only 47K I asked if there was any good will they could consider. They asked VW and after 2 days I was informed sorry do to age being 7yrs.
    So will need to have it done soon as summer is fast approaching.
    Not sure if it will help but you can put me down for it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    After replacing one water pump on my Mk7 R due to a leaking thermostat at 40ks, just over 20ks later it is leaking again. At almost $2k per pop this is a great ongoing revenue stream for VW and their dealers, and doesn’t seem like anything they intend to fix.
    In the US there has been a successful class action on this issue, with warranty being extended to 8 years, and refunds to people that have paid to replace in the past. I’ve spoken to a legal firm that might be willing to pick it up in Australia if there is enough interest - please let me know if you have been impacted and will sign up. I don’t think there’s any specific action required other than confirmation of having been affected.
    Best you get on the FB groups, i am sure you could easily get another 10-15 people without an issue. (myself including)
    What’s behind you doesn’t matter..

Is there a particular one for VW's in Aust?

Users Country Flag

Possible water Pump failure at 180000

Arteon with Possibly the highest KM in Australia is going in for a service 27/09/2022 for a possible Water Pump failure. Heaps of people on the GOLF R FB page that has the same issue & that's how I found out about the water pump failure. Everyone knew the moment I mentioned coolant leak. Arteon is being used as a highway cruiser between Brisbane GC & Toowoomba and this is the first time its thrown a fit after 180,000KM & its for a water pump.

My 5 year old B8 passat just had a water pump fail with 27K on the clock. Dealer has quoted $2250 including timing belt. I have asked the dealer to check if VW will contribute although i'm not optimistic. I would be happy to join any complaint.
    Passat Alltrack MY16

Quote Originally Posted by curly747 View Post
    My 5 year old B8 passat just had a water pump fail with 27K on the clock. Dealer has quoted $2250 including timing belt. I have asked the dealer to check if VW will contribute although i'm not optimistic. I would be happy to join any complaint.
    Thanks, I think I need about 3-4 more. I posted on the FB pages and didn't get much response

Users Country Flag
    I had a leaking thermostat at around 40,000.00 too. It was fixed in April by the dealer. I paid full cost, didn't ask the dealer about any contribution and they didn't offer anything either. You can put me down.

Thanks, I think I need about 3-4 more. I posted on the FB pages and didn't get much response
    Update on this. VW contributed 50% parts cost and i think i got special warranty type rates on the labour. The dealer warned me that VW can take a week to reply to requests to contribute but we got an answer overnight. Anyway the water pump replacement only cost me about $570. I guess it was because car had only done 27K. I also decided to get the timing belt done at same time since its due in 2 years. They didn't help with parts cost for that but there was no extra labour cost. So i guess in the end i don't have so much to complain about.
    Passat Alltrack MY16

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast