Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK7 Golf GTI Coolant Leak

MK7 Golf GTI Coolant Leak

Hi all,

Coolant level has dropped a few times and I finally had time to investigate. Looks like the coolant is leaking from where the lower radiator hose (Part# 5Q0122051B) attaches to the engine.

Attachment plate looks like it bolts onto the block with 3 torx screws and I'm guessing there is an O-ring between that is leaking.

Or am I incorrect and this is a common leak coming from elsewhere?

Is there a recommended site that I can use to look up to see how this is assembled and what part numbers I will need to order? (illustrated parts catalog)

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers, Stellio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MK7 Golf GTI Coolant Leak-leak-jpg  

Most coolant leaks I've read about were coming from the thermostat/water pump housing. Could it be seeping down from there on your car ?
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Ok, thanks for that info. I’ll have another look

Alright. So after some searching I see I'm going to be needing quite a few parts to repair this leak.

Am I just going direct to my local VW dealer for parts or is there a better option people are using?

Will be needing thermostat housing, water pump, water pump union seal and probably a few more parts once I research the job more.

Thanks for any help.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Here is the link to a new water pump and thermostat assembly. If you are going to do the repair yourself then this is what you need + new coolant.

The repair is not an easy one as the waterpump is buried under the inlet manifold.

Audi 8V & Volkswagen MK7 - MQB EA888.3 - Water Pump /Thermostat Bundle
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Take your MK7 to a VW dealer and ask for a warranty repair. They do waterpumps and ancillaries as goodwill warranty repairs as it is a VERY common problem. Well documented on the Net and if they push back (which they shouldn't) drop the words ACCC and "it is reasonable to expect that a waterpump will last more than (INSERT the age of your car here) years."

Had our MK7.5 TSI done after the factory warranty (3yrs and the issue was at 3yrs and 3 months) expired under that and my MK7.5 R just had it done after 3 years and 2 months(5 yr warranty though).

the moment a metal pump comes out, I'm fitting that ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Thanks for the info guys.

Regarding getting it repaired under warranty, my car is 6.5 years old and I haven’t been back to the dealer for the last 3 years so is there any chance they will fix it under this poor designed part warranty?

Gave them a call, they will inspect and submit a report for a good will repair with VW Australia.

Won’t be till mid January, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Also from people’s experience, do the new revised parts stop this leaking issue for good or will I be fixing this again in a few years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast