Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK7 Golf GTI Coolant Leak

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stellio78 View Post
    Also from people’s experience, do the new revised parts stop this leaking issue for good or will I be fixing this again in a few years?
    Plan on doing it every 3-4 years .... the plastic pumps and components just don't last. The MK6s had metal replacements eventually which lasts well, I'm hoping a metal replacement comes out for the Mk7s soon.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by stellio78 View Post
    Gave them a call, they will inspect and submit a report for a good will repair with VW Australia.

Won’t be till mid January, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
    The good thing is that this inspection can be done visually without the need for a "quote" or an inspection cost upfront 1st. Free inspection that will hopefully result in a free fix. Also, they don't care where its been serviced provided it has all its scheduled services.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Thanks mate, it would really be great if that was the result.

So just some feedback for other experiencing the same problem.
    I made my first booking to have the car looked at with a 3 week wait only to have the dealership cancel on me the day before due to lack of mechanics.
    While I was organizing my next booking with another 3 weeks wait time I asked a few questions and was told if VW Australia rejected the goodwill warranty work I would be charged around $200 for a diagnostic fee.
    I decided to ordered the parts from VAGPARTS and did the job myself with the help of the youtube video from Don't Overpay for a MK7 Waterpump/Thermostat Housing and How to do it Yourself - YouTube
    $685 later in parts/coolant and a few days of my time the job is done and everything looks to be back to normal.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Users Country Flag
    does anyone know whats best to use on the waterpump union tube (to oil)... installed a replacement waterpump the other day and thought it was all gravy but after about 15 - 20 mins of letting the car run it leaking like crazy and making some crazy hissing sound like a hose or something has come loose possibly the union is not sitting properly.. had some pressure spraying and steam / water coming from that area... i used a bit of coolant on the o-ring in the union like ive seen on a video / thread somewhere but am seeing sillicone lubricant grease or even sealant is best.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    does anyone know whats best to use on the waterpump union tube (to oil)... installed a replacement waterpump the other day and thought it was all gravy but after about 15 - 20 mins of letting the car run it leaking like crazy and making some crazy hissing sound like a hose or something has come loose possibly the union is not sitting properly.. had some pressure spraying and steam / water coming from that area... i used a bit of coolant on the o-ring in the union like ive seen on a video / thread somewhere but am seeing sillicone lubricant grease or even sealant is best.
    Possible that you have either damaged the o ring or pushed the o ring off the union when installing it perhaps. I would have thought some type of silicone grease (even Vasoline) would be necessary on this part to ensure it goes into its spot securely.

I had my mechanic replace the waterpump in my Mk7 GTI a few months ago. I was going to do it myself, but just seemed like a huge amount of stuffing around and the chance of breaking something or not having the right tool at some point would be high. He said he does 4-6 a week and knows all the tricks - so he got the job.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 14-03-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    yeh if u have someone good that can do it at a sane price then its a good option im stuck remotely so have all the tools.

i used coolant on the orings for the union like has been said can be done but will try some sillicone spray when i undo it all and have a looked.. could have been a hose but probably union

Users Country Flag

turns out it was the new union that failed or i failed something installing it the 1st time but not sure how...

removed the pump for the 2nd time when it failed a vacuum test (had one delivered to test this) and removed the union and noticed there was a bit of play on the orings. the old union popped into the old pump quite nicelly and noticed the new union didnt do quite the same ... tested it onto old pump and noticed the ring had alot of play while going in.

ended up using the old union with a small amount of sillicone spray and then pressure tested it and it stopped making that heavy leaking noise from the union area.. put it all back together ran the car and seemed to stay dry so probably worked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12