Thread: Mk7 Golf DSG info

Mk7 Golf DSG info

Helping a friend find a car and have found one that seems to tick a lot of boxes. It's a 2018 Golf Mk7.5 110tsi Comfortline, only 36,000kms:
    You have been blocked

I realise this question has probably been done to death, but how big a risk is it getting this with the DSG box? I realise there are different versions of the DSG and admittedly I don't know which are the ones to go for, or which one this has, but I've heard enough horror stories to be cautious.
    The car would probably cover over 25,000kms a year, and would be bought with the view to keep it for quite a while, so there would have to be good confidence that the car is capable of reaching high (ish) kms without major issues.

Also, is the 110tsi variant of the engine any good? My mum has a Mk7 90tsi which has just over 100k and has been pretty much faultless (although it's manual not DSG), but I don't know how similar the 110tsi version is.
    TIA

just make sure its not a dry clutch 6 or 7 speed.

Mk7 Golf DSG info

Quote Originally Posted by tw586 View Post
    just make sure its not a dry clutch 6 or 7 speed.
    It’s a 110TSI, it’s a dry clutch 7 speed. There’s no dry clutch 6 speed.
    Last edited by westenderbender; 23-01-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Mk7 Golf DSG info

Quote Originally Posted by 846 View Post
    Helping a friend find a car and have found one that seems to tick a lot of boxes. It's a 2018 Golf Mk7.5 110tsi Comfortline, only 36,000kms:
    You have been blocked

I realise this question has probably been done to death, but how big a risk is it getting this with the DSG box? I realise there are different versions of the DSG and admittedly I don't know which are the ones to go for, or which one this has, but I've heard enough horror stories to be cautious.
    The car would probably cover over 25,000kms a year, and would be bought with the view to keep it for quite a while, so there would have to be good confidence that the car is capable of reaching high (ish) kms without major issues.

Also, is the 110tsi variant of the engine any good? My mum has a Mk7 90tsi which has just over 100k and has been pretty much faultless (although it's manual not DSG), but I don't know how similar the 110tsi version is.
    TIA
    This has the DSG that have the horror stories, although the horror stories are fewer and farther between in the mk7 and 7.5.

If it’s first registered 1 October 2018 and later, it’ll have the 5 year warranty. Provided it’s serviced to schedule, of course. I’d give the car a hard pass if it’s got a 3 year warranty (which I suspect it has, given rego is up in July).

With those kilometres, you might wanna consider a Highline diesel. These have the more reliable wet clutch DSG.

Keep in mind the Alltrack wagons have the larger 132TSI engine and the more reliable wet clutch DSG. This is the one I’d be hunting for.
    Last edited by westenderbender; 23-01-2020 at 09:15 PM.

OK, it looks like this is one to steer clear of then.

Diesel is out because 99% of the driving is city driving, the car would only see a highway trip once every few months.
    I'll definitely have a look at the Alltrack though.
    How reliable is the 132tsi engine?
    And should I be concerned about the potential additional failure points with the Alltrack being AWD?

Users Country Flag
    The alltrack is a very good car
    Mine is diesel but the 132tsi is a good engine and the 6 speed dsg is wet clutch and bulletproof if the regular 60k oil service is done
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag

The 132 Alltrack Premium is an awesome car especially if it has all the active safety fruit and the Dynaudio option.

It also has a fantastic feature for people who do short trips frequently - it’s exhaust manifold is incorporated into the water jacket!

This means that the water/coolant gets up to temp very quickly with all the benefits you’d expect for emissions and wear and tear. It also means that it’s not a car that likes to be chipped...

The DSG is a wet 6 speeder, as has already been mentioned, so that’s good.

Put it this way, if I hadn’t bought a 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon last time around, I was going to get the 132 Alltrack Premium. I also recommended it to my dad as a replacement for his 2007 B7 A4 manual with the 2 litre 147kW turbo motor, but his mechanic told him to keep the A4 forever as it’s such a good car.

The only issue with the Alltrack is probably price. The 2018 110 TSI’s are coming in at $18k to $34k asking price. Although they are mid $20k and up for ones with the driver assistance pack. The Alltrack’s are essentially $30k in povo spec and stretch into the $40k plus region for a Premium😳

PS: I’m also fed up driving a diesel in town so I’m getting a sensible petrol run around. Something like a 2007 Audi RS4 B7 Avant should fit the bill 😀
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.