Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk7 DSG Disengaged

Users Country Flag

Unhappy Mk7 DSG Disengaged

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 Mk7 103tsi Highline and am hoping I can find some help or guidance on here after what has been a frustrating time.

Yesterday when starting my golf everything started up as normal, however, when I put the car in drive and accelerated off it lurched forward and the gearbox seemed to disengage. The car revs when I press the accelerator, but there is no movement at all. I have tried again after leaving it off for hours and my latest attempt was after 24 hours but the same thing happens. It's about 2 seconds of the car working and then all of a sudden no power to the wheels and just revs.

An error code also appears when this happens that says 'Error: gearbox. Reverse gear not available'. The orange engine light is also on but going off the 'Car' info screen in the middle the only error is the gearbox one. (And also a tyre preassure monitoring system oddly). When the car loses power it also says 'ACC and Front Assisst not available'

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what this could mean?

Could be the clutches slipping. The DSG in your car is the DQ200 that has dry clutches. This 'box is not very robust and is notorious for having faults.

If you can get the car scanned for error codes that might point you to where the fault is.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by MrGVW View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 Mk7 103tsi Highline and am hoping I can find some help or guidance on here after what has been a frustrating time.

Yesterday when starting my golf everything started up as normal, however, when I put the car in drive and accelerated off it lurched forward and the gearbox seemed to disengage. The car revs when I press the accelerator, but there is no movement at all. I have tried again after leaving it off for hours and my latest attempt was after 24 hours but the same thing happens. It's about 2 seconds of the car working and then all of a sudden no power to the wheels and just revs.

An error code also appears when this happens that says 'Error: gearbox. Reverse gear not available'. The orange engine light is also on but going off the 'Car' info screen in the middle the only error is the gearbox one. (And also a tyre preassure monitoring system oddly). When the car loses power it also says 'ACC and Front Assisst not available'

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what this could mean?
    Hi do you have the 6 or 7 speed ?

Users Country Flag

Mk7 DSG Disengaged

Sounds like the mechatronics has failed which is reasonably common on the 7 speed DQ200 DSG transmission.

The mechatronics is the electronic brain that controls the gearbox.

A new mechatronics is approx $2k then you have labour to install it. Probably close to $3k all up.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It is the 7 speed Dq200

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Could be the clutches slipping. The DSG in your car is the DQ200 that has dry clutches. This 'box is not very robust and is notorious for having faults.

If you can get the car scanned for error codes that might point you to where the fault is.
    Car got scanned on Friday and it was throwing all sorts of codes (Wipers, tyre pressure monitoring, front assist, ACC and then the gearbox error of drive selector unavailable, along with the original error that the car actually shows.) mechanic reckoned it was the mechatronics unit so it’s been towed to VW today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sounds like the mechatronics has failed which is reasonably common on the 7 speed DQ200 DSG transmission.

The mechatronics is the electronic brain that controls the gearbox.

A new mechatronics is approx $2k then you have labour to install it. Probably close to $3k all up.
    What do you think the chances of Goodwill are since it seems like such a common issue with the car?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGVW View Post
    What do you think the chances of Goodwill are since it seems like such a common issue with the car?
    If the car has an impeccable service history with a VW dealership then you might have a slight chance, otherwise no. Worth a try though - you never know. And the Goodwill claims seems to vary greatly from one dealership to another - some dealerships fight hard to get the Goodwill, while others don't even try. My local dealership for example is useless, and I would have zero faith that they would even try to get a Goodwill claim on an 8yr old car that's well out of warranty period.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Vw took the gearbox apart and found it not to be the Mechatronics but actually the gear selector fork for R and 5th. Still an expensive repair job for a near 9 year old car. They are putting through a request for goodwill and the person I’m dealing with seemed to think there was a good chance VAG will do something towards it.

Users Country Flag

Yes ok - the gear selector fork has been an issue on other DQ200 gearboxes in the past, but its not super common. Anyway, good that they found the issue.

Fingers crossed VW might pay for some of the repair.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast