Thread: Mk7/7.5 R Wolfsburg Edition without leather interior - can it be done?

Users Country Flag

Mk7/7.5 R Wolfsburg Edition without leather interior - can it be done?

I have a MY2015 R manual with the Alcantara seats. Whilst I'm still very happy with the car, I'm not a fan or the Cadiz rims or the stock stereo.

I'm thinking out aloud here so a fairly long post......

Rims: I much prefer the (silver, not black on the Mk7) Pretorias. Obviously the rims can be changed without too much expense or difficultly.

Stereo: To have the Dynaudio sound system of the Wolfsburg edition installed in my existing car is entirely another matter. It can be done but it is quite costly to have installed. I'm not interested in after market systems to improve the sound.

I'd rather just upgrade to a Wolfsburg that had the features that I want, and most of them (I believe all of them if I get the 7.5) will have the DAP that my car lacks. I'm not that fussed on the digital dash of the non Grid 7.5s but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have it.

I know I'd loose the manual gearbox but I've never liked the change of the box in the R and many say the R is better suited to to the DSG anyway. A Wolfsburg Edition with a manual box and alcantara seats would be ideal but I think I can take it of leave it in regard to the transmission. I'm not about to undertake transmission conversions...

Key point: The thing is I hate leather seats with a passion. Slippery, hot in summer, cold in winter, they squeak when you and the car are in motion, even their appearance etc etc. And all Wolfsburgs have them. Thanks VW Australia

Now if I acquired a R Wolfsburg and looked into swapping the interior, it's not just the seats, its the leather on the centre armrest and the door trim too.

What about the Grid edition? If the 7.5 R Grid edition could be optioned with the Dynaudio, I could go that route as it is easy to get rid of those horrible Speilberg rims (even worse than the Cadiz, if that's possible) rims and get the Pretorias. But to my knowledge VW Australia never provided us with that possibility. If I'm wrong about this, someone let me know as that would be the easiest solution to my problems......

What about the Mk8 R? I'd thought to wait to see what the Mk8 R would look like, as by some miracle, VW Australia would offer a non leather interior with features like a decent sound system. But from what I've seen of the Mk8 , I'd rather keep my car, put up with the tinny stereo and fugly rims and save up for a used M2 or M240i or Golf R Special Edition (even if it does has leather, as do all M2s and 99.9% of the M240is...)

I'm aware the Wolfsburgs have electrically adjustable and heated front seats. Assuming it is easy to swap the seats, I'm not worried about having manually adjustable non-heated seats. But would the absence of the powered and heated seats being plugged into the wiring harness cause any issues with the electrical system? And what about removing the seats. I noticed a bolt on the front corner seat runner is a special shape, and would require a special tool.

I'd need help from someone with the correct tools and trim removal tools for the door cards etc. I don't have a good track record with removing and refitting trim from previous cars. Warped loose trim is my calling card.

Someone with an alcantara R who wants to swap interiors and knows how to, would be good.

Sourcing a good used alcantara interior: Wreckers?

Re-trimming the existing seats an option?: Assuming this can be done, the sears have airbags, so maybe only the inserts on the squab and back could be replaced with alcantara?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or how I could approach this? There are probably even more things I've haven't considered that would place this potential project in the too hard basket.

I'm not concerned with any effect on resale values...
    Last edited by LimestoneR7; 26-05-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneR7 View Post

Key point: The thing is I hate leather seats with a passion. Slippery, hot in summer, cold in winter, they squeak when you and the car are in motion, even their appearance etc etc. And all Wolfsburgs have them. Thanks VW Australia
    I couldn't agree more, leather seats in Oz do not make sense at all. I have never experienced the squeeking but I go along with the rest. I would have paid to leave them out of my car but that was not an option.

A good auto re trimmer will replace your leather with alcantara, no need to worry about airbags or seat heating for that to be done.
    You could also go down the road of custom seat covers in what ever material you like that are airbag friendly, better option come resale time.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    With the motor trimmer option, can they change all the trim on the front seats (on the sides and back), as well as the centre sections?

A trimmer will be able to do a complete revamp of your entire seats in what ever colour/covering you wish. Your seats are basically a skeleton with an outer covering much like a seat cover placed over it. Any surface panel can be swapped out as required. They can also do the trims on doors, center console or even the dash if you want. It is all a matter of what you want to pay.

No idea who to recommend in Sydney for you but start by asking around car restoration places on who they would suggest.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI