Thread: Mk7.5 GTI PP 2017-2020 - BSR tune

Mk7.5 GTI PP 2017-2020 - BSR tune

As I understand it, this car first came out in Aus as the Performance Edition 1, with engine code DLBA and the 7 speed dq381. I purchased mine in 2017. I believe the major difference between 2017 and later years outside of Aus is the addition of the GPF starting in 2018. Don’t think GTI in Aus has gpf yet.

I have been doing a lot of reading on stage 1 ecu tunes for my car and three days ago I settled on the BSR stage 1 tune for the DLBA engine. Should hit 301 hp and 440nm. But because mine doesn’t have a GPF, I would expect back pressure to be lower, so it might make moa powah. Sure feels like it.

With the tune, when I’m driving normally, the car feels like stock. Including stock gas mileage. But at WOT, or any other decent acceleration, it feels like a different car!!!

So, three days in and I love it. Over time, I will record other impressions and experiences here!!!

Happy driving!
    Last edited by Flash_G; 23-11-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typos - correct gpf statement about Aus

I thought Oz market Golfs didn't have a GPF as our slack emission standards didn't require it, so VW didn't fit them. I'm pretty sure the Oz Golf Rs don't have GPFs (not yet, anyway).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

GPF or PPF?

We don't have PPF here as it's not required so we don't get those engines.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Well I’m only really certain about my own car (2017, dlba engine code), so it is possible later Aus cars don’t have it yet.

As I understand the legal complexities, many markets will get gpf/opf/ppf regardless of whether it is mandated. Motivated by the Sins of Dieselgate.
    Last edited by Flash_G; 23-11-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Not Australia, we get carry over engines and lose DSG in some cars so other countries can have the good stuff.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Like a dq250 in our TCR?

Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post

GPF or PPF?

We don't have PPF here as it's not required so we don't get those engines.
    GPF = PPF = OPF They are all different acronyms for the same thing - a particulate filter for petrol engines
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by Flash_G View Post
    As I understand it, this car first came out in Aus as the Performance Edition 1, with engine code DLBA and the 7 speed dq381. I purchased mine in 2017. I believe the major difference between 2017 and later years outside of Aus is the addition of the GPF starting in 2018. Don’t think GTI in Aus has gpf yet.

I have been doing a lot of reading on stage 1 ecu tunes for my car and three days ago I settled on the BSR stage 1 tune for the DLBA engine. Should hit 301 hp and 440nm. But because mine doesn’t have a GPF, I would expect back pressure to be lower, so it might make moa powah. Sure feels like it.

With the tune, when I’m driving normally, the car feels like stock. Including stock gas mileage. But at WOT, or any other decent acceleration, it feels like a different car!!!

So, three days in and I love it. Over time, I will record other impressions and experiences here!!!

Happy driving!
    How are you finding the BSR tune? Did you do the tune yourself with the PPC or take into a BSR dealer? How did you find dealing with BSR? Have you dyno'ed your car? BSR figures look impressive. I'm looking at BSR for a skoda superb sportline.

The BSR tune was great and the guys at BSR Aus were great. They pre-loaded the correct tune on my PPC before it was mailed to me and called me to let me know it was loaded and on its way. I updated my ecu with the PPC myself. Follow the directions and it takes about 15 minutes. No problems!!

The tune is great. Lots of early torque, but no huge surges. Drives like stock until you step on it!! It does get 0.5 l/km less than stock for mileage, but so far I am very happy!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flash_G View Post
    The BSR tune was great and the guys at BSR Aus were great. They pre-loaded the correct tune on my PPC before it was mailed to me and called me to let me know it was loaded and on its way. I updated my ecu with the PPC myself. Follow the directions and it takes about 15 minutes. No problems!!

The tune is great. Lots of early torque, but no huge surges. Drives like stock until you step on it!! It does get 0.5 l/km less than stock for mileage, but so far I am very happy!
    Have you had the DSG tuned as well?
    Just got mine done from Cameron at BSR over the weekend, makes such a difference