Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions

Users Country Flag

MK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions

Hi Guys,

There is little information about the Mk7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 that is offered in Australia given there is only 150 of them.
    I thought I would start a thread and post some information for anyone who is either looking to buy one, or has one and can also provide further information to sort out any unknowns.

I own a 2017 Silver White GTI PE1 with around 77xxxkm on the clock, modifications to date include a cat-back XForce Varex exhaust and she is getting a stage 1 APR tune next week - will update after the tune.

The following is more of my subjective take on the car:

7 Speed DQ381:
    The same 7 speed gearbox that is found in the MK7.5 Golf R and 2017 Audi S3.
    The gearbox is a huge step up from the previous generations and I have had no issues with it at all. I personally knock it into neutral when creeping to avoid clutch wear or stopped at lights as it removes any slight vibrations from the transmission.
    One flaw with the gearbox, in 'D' mode, it slips the clutch far too much in 2nd gear in some instances when it should probably shift back down to 1st - manual mode obviously a quick fix.

Drive:
    19 Inch wheels are harsh on your average suburb roads roads - I even blew a sidewall out on one of my tyres after hitting a pothole ($350 later).
    Comfort mode is mostly noticeable on highway driving and it is great for long journeys, decent on fuel with an average of 7.2L/100.

DSG "Fart":
    There are various threads regarding the missing DSG fart on the facelift models.
    I spoke with APR and they confirmed that the new DQ381 engine shifts faster than the old DQ250's so the upshift noise is no longer as evident

XForce Varex 3-Inch Exhaust (Non smart box):
    Purchased on sale from CMA for $1000 with the Blue Titanium Tips - it looks damn good.
    Very good quality build; had it installed and hard wired behind the 12v socket in the boot for $180 from my local shop.
    The exhaust is still wearing in, but with the valves open and WOT it certainly makes some noise. Hoping that the APR tune and an eventual Cold Air Intake will help the overall sound improve.
    There is no drone with the valves closed and with the windows up it could almost pass as stock.
    There is a slight done around 2000rpm with the valves open while under load.

Below are a few photos of my car.
    Feel free to ask any questions or post their experience with their PE1.
    I'll be back to post an update after the Stage 1 APR tune.

MK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-1-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-2-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-3-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-4-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-screen-shot-2020-07-18-11-54-43-am-jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Great write up, Andre. I absolutely love the Performance Edition 1, especially the interior trim!

How’s it faring after 77km? Any issues so far? Sounds like you’re still loving it!

Users Country Flag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andre1269 View Post
    Hi Guys,

There is little information about the Mk7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 that is offered in Australia given there is only 150 of them.
    I thought I would start a thread and post some information for anyone who is either looking to buy one, or has one and can also provide further information to sort out any unknowns.

I own a 2017 Silver White GTI PE1 with around 77xxxkm on the clock, modifications to date include a cat-back XForce Varex exhaust and she is getting a stage 1 APR tune next week - will update after the tune.

The following is more of my subjective take on the car:

7 Speed DQ381:
    The same 7 speed gearbox that is found in the MK7.5 Golf R and 2017 Audi S3.
    The gearbox is a huge step up from the previous generations and I have had no issues with it at all. I personally knock it into neutral when creeping to avoid clutch wear or stopped at lights as it removes any slight vibrations from the transmission.
    One flaw with the gearbox, in 'D' mode, it slips the clutch far too much in 2nd gear in some instances when it should probably shift back down to 1st - manual mode obviously a quick fix.

Drive:
    19 Inch wheels are harsh on your average suburb roads roads - I even blew a sidewall out on one of my tyres after hitting a pothole ($350 later).
    Comfort mode is mostly noticeable on highway driving and it is great for long journeys, decent on fuel with an average of 7.2L/100.

DSG "Fart":
    There are various threads regarding the missing DSG fart on the facelift models.
    I spoke with APR and they confirmed that the new DQ381 engine shifts faster than the old DQ250's so the upshift noise is no longer as evident

XForce Varex 3-Inch Exhaust (Non smart box):
    Purchased on sale from CMA for $1000 with the Blue Titanium Tips - it looks damn good.
    Very good quality build; had it installed and hard wired behind the 12v socket in the boot for $180 from my local shop.
    The exhaust is still wearing in, but with the valves open and WOT it certainly makes some noise. Hoping that the APR tune and an eventual Cold Air Intake will help the overall sound improve.
    There is no drone with the valves closed and with the windows up it could almost pass as stock.
    There is a slight done around 2000rpm with the valves open while under load.

Below are a few photos of my car.
    Feel free to ask any questions or post their experience with their PE1.
    I'll be back to post an update after the Stage 1 APR tune.

MK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-1-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-2-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-3-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-gti-pe1-4-jpgMK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-screen-shot-2020-07-18-11-54-43-am-jpg

Cheers,

Andre
    Nice car mate

Users Country Flag
    Interesting colour, is it the only mk7 GTI model offered in White Silver in Oz?

Great seeing 3 doors given there are so few around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks mate, it certainly is a unique car - the trim is a highlight for me.

After the APR Stage 1 tune today, and having 79xxxkm's, the farts are more prominent and definitely get a few loud pops above 4000rpm!

To the best of my knowledge I believe it is the only model with this specific colour.
    Agreed, it is the second 3 door GTI I have owned and hope they bring out a performance edition 2 for the Mk8.

APR Stage 1 Tune - Update

I got the high torque APR Stage 1 tune on sale for $1,169.00 from European Autotech in Mona Vale, Sydney.
    The guys were professional, knowledgable and friendly with the tune taking 45 minutes from drop off to pick up.
    Would highly recommend these guys.

They confirmed to me that the 7SP DQ381 is more than capable of handling the stage 1 tune as standard.
    I queried whether I would need to gap the spark plugs, or update them or the coils and they confirmed as long as they were in good nick they would stand the tests of time.

Engine - Performance and Drivability

Stock Numbers:
    180kw / 370Nm

APR Stage 1 - 98 Octane
    210kw / 425Nm

There is noticeable low end torque increase and overall improvement in responsiveness of the engine, even in 'D' mode. The engine pulls even better than it did before uphill, without the need to downshift as much now.
    Forget about traction in 1st gear, 2nd gear plants it quite well but has slight wheel spin above 4000rpm as you would expect. 3rd gear is a licence disqualification waiting to happen.
    The car sounds throatier and has a deeper exhaust note - even getting some of the beloved DSG farts on quick shifts at the higher RPM's.
    Turbo spool is more audible too.

Driving the car normally after the tune, coolant and oil temperature run at about 85-88 degrees. This is achieved by running the car slightly richer than the Euro Emission friendly lean mix from the factory, and also engages the electronic thermostat more frequently to help regulate temperatures and keep all your go-fast-bits happy.
    The car may as well be stock while under daily driving throttle response and you can easily achieve respectable fuel economy.

Overall I would recommend the tune for this vehicle, however, I don't back the $1200 cost.. there are several other tunes available for VAG vehicles and a quick shop around will find that most of them deliver more or less the same results regarding stats, most much cheaper.

(Stats from APR Below)

MK7.5 GTi Performance Edition 1 - General Discussion & Questions-screen-shot-2020-07-23-12-49-50-pm-jpg

Next Modification

K&N Typhoon Air Intake System is currently on the COVID Post Express and should arrive in hand whenever it feels like it..
    Expected additional gains from the air intake with the already fitted exhaust and tune is probably 10Nm and 10kW.

I will post an update about the installation of this system and the overall sound and performance it provides.

Feel free to shoot any other queries you guys may have!

Cheers,

Andre
    Last edited by andre1269; 23-07-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Great info

I’m interested in a tune (same spec engine) but maybe more for the DQ381 DSG as I’m not thrilled by the shift points, D is a bit too eco-focused and S holds some of the gears (e.g. 3rd when cruising at 60) too long.

Out of interest have you done any research in brands offering combo ECU/TCU tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by bor1203 View Post
    Great info

I’m interested in a tune (same spec engine) but maybe more for the DQ381 DSG as I’m not thrilled by the shift points, D is a bit too eco-focused and S holds some of the gears (e.g. 3rd when cruising at 60) too long.

Out of interest have you done any research in brands offering combo ECU/TCU tunes?

Agreed, there almost needs to be more of a middle ground between D and S mode.
    I always knock it into manual when it's in S mode - as you said it hangs on way too long.

I haven't looked too much into it sorry mate.
    My brief research on TCU tunes in Australia has always led me to reading about the one APR offers as they seem to have the most knowledge (from my perspective).
    Mk4 2004 Golf Sport 2.0L
    Mk4 2004 Bora: VR6 24V 2.8L
    Mk6 2010 GTi: 3 Door
    Mk7.5 2017 GTi Performance Edition 1: 3 Door - Stage 1 APR (Current Vehicle)

APR were very late to the party with a DQ381 TCU tune, not sure what the problem was there.

TVS have an excellent rep for DQ381 TCU tunes, and their Stage2+ tune allows some customisation to suit your personal preferences.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast