Thread: Mark 7 towbar question

Users Country Flag

Mark 7 towbar question

Hi I have taken the towbar off my mark seven without realising that the bolts are specifically torqued . I have a Hayman Reese towbar. Wondering if anyone knows what setting I should be using to retension the bolts. By the way the towbar is on the older type with bolt mated to two flat metal bars

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
    Hi I have taken the towbar off my mark seven without realising that the bolts are specifically torqued . I have a Hayman Reese towbar. Wondering if anyone knows what setting I should be using to retension the bolts. By the way the towbar is on the older type with bolt mated to two flat metal bars
    Do them up tight plus 1/4 turn will be OK Have never used a torque wrench on any towbar . When vanning I used to check all the mounting bolts every week. Did 50,000km and it never fell off LOL
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just checked with Heymann Reese and they’ve confirmed it should be tightened to 190 Nm

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
    Just checked with Heymann Reese and they’ve confirmed it should be tightened to 190 Nm
    You probably cant do it up to 190nm with normal DIY type tools (not enough leverage). 190nm is pretty damn tight - they must be big arse bolts.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You probably cant do it up to 190nm with normal DIY type tools (not enough leverage). 190nm is pretty damn tight - they must be big arse bolts.
    16mm apparently
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    190nm is the equivalent of hanging 190kg off the end of a 1m long lever - so yeah very very tight.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    190nm is the equivalent of hanging 190kg off the end of a 1m long lever - so yeah very very tight.
    Yep - seems a bit excessive for sure. Some Locktite and just do them up as hard as you can will be more than enough.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler