Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark 7 GTI turbo problems

Users Country Flag

Mark 7 GTI turbo problems

Hey All,
    I have just bought myself a mark 7 golf GTI and after doing a lot of reading online (probably something I should have done before purchasing) I have started to become a little scared of turbocharger failures/issues...

My car has done 69k km and has full history with all receipts etc., It has a racingline stage 1 tune with heavy duty clutch, however it is a MY14 which I have read was a problem year for the turbos. I have also confirmed that my turbo is one of the ones that were affected.

Question is - is there anything I can do to help mitigate the risk of turbo failure? Is installing a new turbo hard or is this something that needs to be done with a mechanic (I have done oil changes etc in the past)?

Would be good to hear from others out there with the early mark 7 models, I love the car and it drives great, just paranoid now that at anytime my turbo may fail and may result in a blown engine

Users Country Flag
    Its Rs that suffered from turbo failures mostly. Dont worry about it. If youre scared out away a couple of grand as a contingency and live life.
    I havent seen a GTI turbo blown personally. Not saying it doesnt happen. But in 3 years at UGP we havent had one

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Its Rs that suffered from turbo failures mostly. Dont worry about it. If youre scared out away a couple of grand as a contingency and live life.
    I havent seen a GTI turbo blown personally. Not saying it doesnt happen. But in 3 years at UGP we havent had one
    Cheers mate - would a turbo failure mean just the turbo would need replacing or could it damage the whole engine? (Sorry coming from 10+ years of driving/working on NAs).

From your experience are the mark 7's fairly reliable? There's a lot of variation on the internet with some saying they're fairly bulletproof and others complaining of multiple issues...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by itpesaf View Post
    Cheers mate - would a turbo failure mean just the turbo would need replacing or could it damage the whole engine? (Sorry coming from 10+ years of driving/working on NAs).

From your experience are the mark 7's fairly reliable? There's a lot of variation on the internet with some saying they're fairly bulletproof and others complaining of multiple issues...
    If the turbo hasn't failed by now then you are safe id say. As mentioned above, it was the larger turbo in the R models that had the issue, it wasn't a GTI thing.

And yes the engine is proving to be quite a strong and reliable engine so far, certainly much better than the Mk6 GTI engine was anyway.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If the turbo hasn't failed by now then you are safe id say. As mentioned above, it was the larger turbo in the R models that had the issue, it wasn't a GTI thing.

And yes the engine is proving to be quite a strong and reliable engine so far, certainly much better than the Mk6 GTI engine was anyway.
    Cheers mate.

I have an opportunity to buy a used IS20 turbo off a newer 2017 model GTI (with 48k km) for a decent price. Would it be worthwhile getting it and changing over the turbo as preventative maintenance? Is it fairly straight forward to replace the turbo and if I have the racingline stage 1 tune will it be affected with a different turbo?

Users Country Flag
    Cheers mate.

I have an opportunity to buy a used IS20 turbo off a newer 2017 model GTI (with 48k km) for a decent price. Would it be worthwhile getting it and changing over the turbo as preventative maintenance? Is it fairly straight forward to replace the turbo and if I have the racingline stage 1 tune will it be affected with a different turbo?
    Waste of time/money putting on another turbo unless your original turbo has issues. I highly doubt you will have an issue with your turbo, but if its playing on your mind, keep some $$ aside just in case....although as mentioned I very highly doubt you will have an issue.

To answer the 2nd part of your question, as long as you are replacing the turbo for another of the same model (eg IS20 removed and replaced with another IS20) there is no need to change anything else on the car. But if you replace the IS20 with the larger Golf R turbo (IS3 then yes you would need the tune to be altered (presumably a tune for a Golf R).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Waste of time/money putting on another turbo unless your original turbo has issues. I highly doubt you will have an issue with your turbo, but if its playing on your mind, keep some $$ aside just in case....although as mentioned I very highly doubt you will have an issue.

To answer the 2nd part of your question, as long as you are replacing the turbo for another of the same model (eg IS20 removed and replaced with another IS20) there is no need to change anything else on the car. But if you replace the IS20 with the larger Golf R turbo (IS3 then yes you would need the tune to be altered (presumably a tune for a Golf R).
    Thanks mate, you've put my mind at ease a little. My main concern after reading a couple of forum posts online where people with failed turbos had to replace their whole engine. I'm guessing this would be very rare occurrence and in most cases a failed/blown turbo will just need a replacement turbo?

Users Country Flag
    Thanks mate, you've put my mind at ease a little. My main concern after reading a couple of forum posts online where people with failed turbos had to replace their whole engine. I'm guessing this would be very rare occurrence and in most cases a failed/blown turbo will just need a replacement turbo?
    Very rare indeed. And even if you had what would be considered catastrophic failure of the turbo where the shaft breaks and the compressor wheels breaks into pieces, the pieces would get stuck in the intercooler and highly unlikely to cause damage to the engine. In most cases, even blind (or deaf) freddie would know something was wrong before it got to this stage (eg weird shreiking turbo noise, blue smoke out the exhaust indicating oil being burnt).

Go and enjoy your new car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Have not seen is20's fail anywhere except the US for some reason. My gti over in NZ has 115km now and still boosts fluently . Early is38's were problematic. If it does blow go is38, they are something else in a gti haha

Quote Originally Posted by LouieP View Post
    Have not seen is20's fail anywhere except the US for some reason. My gti over in NZ has 115km now and still boosts fluently . Early is38's were problematic. If it does blow go is38, they are something else in a gti haha
    Thanks mate! I'm thoroughly enjoying the car and yeah the forums where I read about the early turbo failures seem to be from the US...

I've got a stage 1 racingline tune on the car (along with the r600 intake/silicon tube, 90o high flow inlet and turbo muffler delete + npc heavy duty clutch) - the car feels ridiculously quick (I think this stage 1 ups the power to the 220-230kw vicinity) and traction kicks in if I press it in 1st or 2nd, is this considered a reliable setup or do stage 1 tunes affect the reliability of the car considerably?

I've come from years of driving NA and the whole notion of being able to up the power from 162kw to 220-230kw with a simple tune is beyond belief for me haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast