Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maps updates removed from VW website

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SDST View Post
    One difference is that the 6 month out of date map has also disappeared from the software. Was there a week ago if you selected MultiRegion as the region even when it wasn't on the website.

The direct link (thanks chalnorth and hillbilly!) is still there, but I wonder if it is a change in mind on providing non-euro maps for free. Either that, or there's some issue with ID3 headunit compatibility and theyve pulled them until that's sorted.
    I saw somewhere that the website has problems so wait a week or so and see what happens No good getting panties in a knot as next map wont be till June anyway

Why worry about a 6 month old map

Thats the equiv of reading last weeks newspaper LOL

I have the files if anyone really needs them

We dont have CARNET here and probably never will
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

It appears that the Nov 2019 ROW map for the Discover Pro system has an issue with one of the regions that is being addressed, hence why it was not posted on the VW map update page and the earlier map pulled as it is out of date. The same map (Nov 2019) is available on the Skoda link refereed through the various posts on this site and the Audi map is available on their site. The VW, Skoda and Audi maps are identical however the Audi map is region specific, as in the Australian/New Zealand region only contains data for that region so you are not downloading 20 plus gb.

Fake news that Australia is loosing free updates is just that, fake. Why is the Discover media still showing Australian/New Zealand maps that are current (Nov 2019).
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Only the panic merchants are getting upset and If they are identical how come the Skoda one works but the VW doesnt.

I am using the Skoda one at present.

I wouldnt be surprised to find out in the future that after 3 years they are no longer free, as has happened with some of the older models

Discover Media maps are different and wont work in a Discover Pro it seems.

Also dont the Audi's use a different brand head unit to the VW as they have enhancements the VW dont.

Skoda are not sold in the same markets as VW, so ROW maps don't affect Skoda in the same way as VW.
    The VW map site is currently down to allow updates of Discover Pro maps for ROW.
    The link to the Skoda portal works for ROW Discover Pro maps.
    If you have access to Audi maps than they will also work in your VW. Audi Navigation Plus = Discover Pro.
    If you have access to a SEAT VIN than you can also use ROW maps in your VW.
    The Discover Media (SD card based system) is not forward or backward compatible with Discover Pro, but there is no issue with those maps on the VW maps site.
    Will you lose access to new maps, not while the system is still current.
    Some facts
    FACT: the SD card set up in the Discover Media will continue to allow map updates pass the 3 year limit. No need for a new SD card or licence for the Australian market. But we are not talking about that system here only the Discover Pro.

FACT: The Discover Pro maps share the same map information with Skoda, SEAT, AUDI and VW. You are able to load any of these maps into a supportive system and drive along. My Golf is currently using the 2020 Skoda maps which replaced the VW 2019/2020 maps. My Q5 had the 2020 Skoda maps for a few weeks until the release of Audi maps. No difference, all work, even showing brand specific POIs like dealerships.
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 22-02-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Flipper Dog
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Skoda are not sold in the same markets as VW, so ROW maps don't affect Skoda in the same way as VW.
    The VW map site is currently down to allow updates of Discover Pro maps for ROW.
    The link to the Skoda portal works for ROW Discover Pro maps.
    If you have access to Audi maps than they will also work in your VW. Audi Navigation Plus = Discover Pro.
    If you have access to a SEAT VIN than you can also use ROW maps in your VW.
    The Discover Media (SD card based system) is not forward or backward compatible with Discover Pro, but there is no issue with those maps on the VW maps site.
    Will you loose access to new maps, not while the system is still current.
    Some facts
    FACT: the SD card set up in the Discover Media will continue to allow map updates pass the 3 year limit. No need for a new SD card or licence for the Australian market. But we are not talking about that system here only the Discover Pro.

FACT: The Discover Pro maps share the same map information with Skoda, SEAT, AUDI and VW. You are able to load any of these maps into a supportive system and drive along. My Golf is currently using the 2020 Skoda maps which replaced the VW 2019/2020 maps. My Q5 had the 2020 Skoda maps for a few weeks until the release of Audi maps. No difference, all work, even showing brand specific POIs like dealerships.
    Im agreeing with you but just asking a question about someone saying that an area in the map has problems.

Also is a thread on here from a poster with the Discover Media who couldnt update his maps and had to buy a new SD card from VW

This Thread Golf 7 Navigation help "the Navigation Data in the infotainment System are not valid"

Seems Skoda and VW are both for sale in AUS so dont know where that comes from

One fact Its "lose" access

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

Also is a thread on here from a poster with the Discover Media who couldnt update his maps and had to buy a new SD card from VW

This Thread Golf 7 Navigation help "the Navigation Data in the infotainment System are not valid"

One fact Its "lose" access
    Thanks for the pick up in grammar, damn spell check.
    The post above was refereeing to the MIB1 maps, they required software modifications from dealers before allowing downloadable map updates. No requirement to purchase an additional SD card.
    Flipper Dog

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Thanks for the pick up in grammar, damn spell check.
    The post above was refereeing to the MIB1 maps, they required software modifications from dealers before allowing downloadable map updates. No requirement to purchase an additional SD card.
    Was referring to Kamolds post in that thread and saw yours as well so wonder if the guys new SD card fixed it or not. LOL

Any way site will get fixed before June update I guess.

Is the Audi map only small and does it work on our Pro units I just need a Vin LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Ok, I've read, re-read all the threads mentioned. I've got the original MIB1 (Discover Media) and have previously gotten map updates from the website mentioned on this thread. Of course, I only see Europe now available. Have they dropped support for the MIB1s? (pre-2015) Golfs?

Users Country Flag
    I'd like to prune the unzipped download to just have it work for Australia & NZ. Can anyone advise which essential folders I MUST keep, apart from any mentioning Australia, aus and NewZealand_aus. Just general guidance will do & I hope to learn from the exercise.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by notaGolfR View Post
    I'd like to prune the unzipped download to just have it work for Australia & NZ. Can anyone advise which essential folders I MUST keep, apart from any mentioning Australia, aus and NewZealand_aus. Just general guidance will do & I hope to learn from the exercise.
    You cant alter it and it will only find the areas applicable to your location.

Has been tried unsuccessfully previously Why worry its in a separate part of the memory and you wont gain anything by doing that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast