Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Maps and POIs for Discover Media

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LAnMarc View Post
    No problems with my Discover Pro, but it hasn't been back to the dealer since delivery (Dec 2017).
    Download took 16 hours, no errors this time.
    Update took about 30 minutes.
    Seems a bit absurd to download a 23GB file when the data for Australia is only 2GB.
    If only VW offered CarNet in Australia. Updates would happen via your home WiFi and only downloads the region you select.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    If only VW offered CarNet in Australia. Updates would happen via your home WiFi and only downloads the region you select.
    It’s always baffled me that they don’t offer it. Is there some kind of hidden support cost or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Further to my previous post, this links will create convert your POI's for installation from a SD card or USB:
    Collection of POIs

I found that when using the KML file format as recommended here > MIB II - Custom POI's / Speed Cameras etc caused an error message to be created "unhandled exception" in my browser ( I tried both Chrome and Firefox).

Instead I used the CSV format for Garman and had no problems getting the web plugin to convert the POI's and install them via USB (using only the generated files in the "MIB2HIGH" directory in my case).

All my speedcam related POI's (Fixed, point to point, mobile etc ) are all viable on my screen.

The problem I have is there is NO audible warning. And yes I did select the tick box to create audible warnings for my POI's when using the converter.

If any one has any ideas why, let me know.

Perhaps it is a moot point as others who do get the warning have reported that
    1) the warning is fairly faint, and
    2) the warning comes at the last moment, too late to slow down or whatever (and apparently there is no way to adjust the parameters for the warning to sound sooner).
    Last edited by LimestoneR7; 24-06-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: additions

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    It’s always baffled me that they don’t offer it. Is there some kind of hidden support cost or something?
    Yes, it's an annual subscription. The amount depends on which packages you want. There are many iphone and android Apps in conjunction with CarNet. With one App for example you can remote start the car from anywhere in the world, lock/unlock the car etc.
    There is an emergency services subscription which automatically dials police/fire etc if you have an accident.

I believe auto maps update is part of the basic package.

Problem with Oz Cars, we don't have the SIM card slot between the two SD card slots. All European cars have a SIM card slot. You can however, use a WiFi link to your phone to gain internet access which is what we're able to do here in Oz.

I used VCDS to enable all CarNet functions on my new DiscoverPro on my Golf 7.5 but unfortunately all online functions go through VW CarNet. Without it, nothing works.

Search CarNet on Google.
    Last edited by mickofoz; 24-06-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Updates by CarNet in theory is a good idea, but not everyone has a 5gb data allowance on their SIM. Now if the car can be be linked to you home wifi (provided you can move it close enough) that would be OK.

I'd still rather download from my PC and install from a SD memory or USB.

Download took about 3 hours for me.
    I must try the POI trick

Users Country Flag
    Hi All

I have a MY2018 Golf R Mk7.5 built December 2017 and was using this thread to see if I could create some Personal POIs containing Fixed speed, Red light and Safety camera locations for Australia.
    As noted nothing worked for the MK7.5 Discover Pro in my vehicle.
    I tried the following...
    1 Downloaded files from poidb.com as at 24 June 2018
    2 Used the Skoda site Collection of POIs to build the package of POIs (I tried .kml files but they caused errors so settled for .csv)
    3 Frustratingly this package wouldn't load. Grrrr. Tried a few of the suggestions about flattening the file structure and only using files for my Discover Pro etc but none worked.
    4 I then looked into the files generated and noted errors in the files describing file sizes. Edited them and Bingo!

I copied the contents of the MIB2HIGH folder to the root of the SD card (MSDOS-FAT32)
    So if you have a late model Discover Pro hope this helps.

Includes warning warble.

No idea if this works for other types of Discover nav systems but I've included everything generated by the Skoda site.

<https://app.box.com/s/qf22zda1kon4vdpopghl1yj58pl6xmvn>

Please reply if you have success or not.

Enjoy
    Golf R Mk7.5 MY18 7sp DSG
    replaces Golf R Mk7 MY15 7sp Man that was totalled while parked😢

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gtienvy View Post
    Hi All

4 I then looked into the files generated and noted errors in the files describing file sizes. Edited them and Bingo!
    What did you do to the files to edit them?
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
    What did you do to the files to edit them?

In MIB2HIGH/PersonalPOI/Package/0/Default/Hashes.txt the file size for each file is listed. These were incorrect.
    In the metainfo2.txt file in MIB2HIGH directory there is an entry describing the directory
    [PersonalPOI\Package\0\default\Dir]
    The FileSize here was also incorrect. It appears it is the sum of the file sizes in that directory EXCLUDING the hashes.txt file
    Also in the metainfo2.txt file I added the line
    UserSWDL = "true"
    to the [common] section.

I worked this out by comparing a working Personal POI package with the one I generated noting the differences.

When I get time I'll play a bit more and try changing the date that shows when loading the POI but its not that important.

Hope this helps and share your creation.

Cheers
    Golf R Mk7.5 MY18 7sp DSG
    replaces Golf R Mk7 MY15 7sp Man that was totalled while parked😢

Users Country Flag

Thanks gtienvy
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast