Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Maps and POIs for Discover Media

I've now tried it on a first series card — didn't work.

The map started to come up, then went back to the initialisation screen with a message to the effect of "Map data is not right -- check data" after which the satnav wouldn't respond at all, just went to the error message.

The backup restored OK, so no harm done.

Evidently there are different maps for early and late cards — mine is the early (2012/13) issue.

I did notice that the new map data was much larger — almost filled the 8GB card.

@GolfVII:- You can copy your card in any card reader without damaging it.
    Last edited by Idle; 10-12-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: later thought.

@Idle: Bummer. Thanks for trying!

Users Country Flag
    Thank you for testing for us Idle...bummer, I'm V1 as well

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post

@GolfVII:- You can copy your card in any card reader without damaging it.
    Yeah I know, I just been to lazy to purchase a SD card reader for my PC, I don't want to infect the card with Mac files you get after plugging SD cards in OSX system. I had that fun of double ups of music and other files on a SD card after copying them on my Macbook. I finally remembered you could use iTunes to copy the music over with out my Macbook making the ghost/system files in the musics folders.

Guess I'm stopping at MSY on the way home, USB 3.0 card reader $10

Sensis supplied the AU and NZ maps for previous RNS models, not for the Discover Media and Pro.

The current map series appear to originate in Central Europe and those in use here cover most of the world outside the UK, EU and North America — which probably accounts for the weird pronunciation of street names here, and also the huge download (it took me two attempts to get a clean copy.)

My 2013 model has an earlier map series than the one here (1st series issued in 2012, which got updated at the car's first service in October to a June 2014 issue which operates rather differently and I'm finding I have to re-learn it.)

If I set up a destination in the garage (offroad,) it wants to take me on a 2KM round-the-block detour to the main road (which is less than 150M away) — the original didn't do that, nor did the Sensis maps on the RNS510.

I'll be interested to see if the new one works on my card (it may be for the second series card, which I'm told won't work in my unit.)
    The Discover gps and maps are from Navteq (Nokia) I believe.

Users Country Flag
    ----ok everyone hold on----
    I have the VW v6 sd card in slot 1 as instructed on the packet.
    I took it out and I copied off the data, switched the card to write. deleted the data not formatted.
    copied data from an unzipped folder.
    loaded into slot 1 and 2, no good.
    went back to laptop formatted card this time (same as it was fat32 8gig)
    from 7zip i extracted the data straight to the card (slower way of doing it).
    loaded into slot 1 and 2, no good.
    went back to laptop formatted card again (same as it was fat32 8gig)
    copied the original data back to the card
    loaded into slot 1 and 2, now it works again.

I have a 2013 November/December built VW GTI mk7. bought in January 2014 with a SD card which was brand new from VW and has copywrite 2011 on the back of the packet. I definitely don't have the pro version entertainment system.

Any thoughts or ideas in what i did wrong?

My next idea, was to just delete the AUS folder and copy the new AUS folder across and see what that does????

Users Country Flag
    @idle - what does the date on the SD card packet say on the back? mine says 2011.

I have the early version card, loaded the new software yesterday. It doesn't work (same result as Idle)
    Reloaded the backup. Old software works fine.
    Sucnip is a genius, he will 'sus' it

My card details.......

PartNumber2="5G0919866A "
    PartNumber3="5E0919866A "
    PartNumber4="5F0919866A "
    ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0022"
    SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

Quote Originally Posted by vyaw2003 View Post
    @idle - what does the date on the SD card packet say on the back? mine says 2011.
    My card was already in the slot, so never had the packet — it's a V1 card, though (marked on the front) so quite likely also 2011.

All I had to do to restore the backup was delete the non-working data and copy/paste the original back via Windows 7.

Don't think you did anything wrong — the new data just isn't for that card.

You'd need a way to replace the card's hidden coding — after which the original software wouldn't function, and there's no guarantee the new one would either.

Merely replacing the AUS folder is unlikely to work — there's bound to be unrecognised links to common operations.

Also found that when the dealer updated my maps at the annual service they didn't reset the write protect switch (worth checking after a service.)

Incidentally, all users of this system should back up the data in case of corruption. Replacing it is easier than a trip to the dealer.

Users Country Flag

Also found that when the dealer updated my maps at the annual service they didn't reset the write protect switch (worth checking after a service.)
    I am due for a service next month, are you saying just my regular 15,000km oil service would include a sd card update complimentary?

I might just wait..

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast