Support VWWC

Thread: Light Bar for MK7 Golf R (MY17)

Users Country Flag

Light Bar for MK7 Golf R (MY17)

Had my MY17 Golf R for nearly 2 years now and still loving it.

I recent change of home has got me doing some country driving and I am in search of improving the cars headlights.

Mine from the factory has the adaptive LED headlights which work great around town etc but in dark evening country driving are not the best..

I dont want to touch the factory lights and thinking about trying to add some sort of LED light bar to the front, perhaps behind the grill as i dont want it to look too obvious..

Anyone had any experience with doing something similar?

Cheers

Frosty

A bar like this ?
    Light Bar for MK7 Golf R (MY17)-1-oettinger-vw-golf-400r-nightmare-police-car-122550_1-jpg
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

You can't just wire the light bar to dip with the switch using a relay and feed from the switch because of CANBUS, been there and done that. It has to be able to be dipped with the dip switch to be legal and also convenient in use. You need to hijack the CANBUS signal between the switch and the headlight. I used one of these CANM8 Cannect Highbeam There may be others that do the same thing. There are some brackets that fit behind the number plate for a quick simple answer that will be adequate for a light bar but that might interfere with the forward facing sensor depending on where that is installed, our Golf has it under the front bar from memory.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok thanks for that Ozsko, would you happen to have a pic of yours installed?

Also mine has the (forgot the correct name for it) "adaptive high beam" - so in that mode it blanks out portions of the high beam so a car coming towards you doesn't get blinded which works great - wonder if it was in that mode if it would effect the light bar?

Cheers Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by frostywinter View Post
    Ok thanks for that Ozsko, would you happen to have a pic of yours installed?

Also mine has the (forgot the correct name for it) "adaptive high beam" - so in that mode it blanks out portions of the high beam so a car coming towards you doesn't get blinded which works great - wonder if it was in that mode if it would effect the light bar?

Cheers Frosty
    If you change the dip to manual control via the car setting then no problems. I was going to have that coded into my car but since fitting the driving lights it may not be advisable and I suspect it would not work with auxiliary lights unless the manual option is there. I fitted two Cibie Super Oscars to my Tiguan but no photos as they don't live on the car unless I am driving long distance. The Cibies are a damned good light but they would want to be for the eye watering price. Light bars are good for roads that have not got long straights as they have a short throw but have a lot of light immediately in front of the car. I reckon a few of them would be awesome in a forest rally for instance.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    If you change the dip to manual control via the car setting then no problems. I was going to have that coded into my car but since fitting the driving lights it may not be advisable and I suspect it would not work with auxiliary lights unless the manual option is there. I fitted two Cibie Super Oscars to my Tiguan but no photos as they don't live on the car unless I am driving long distance. The Cibies are a damned good light but they would want to be for the eye watering price. Light bars are good for roads that have not got long straights as they have a short throw but have a lot of light immediately in front of the car. I reckon a few of them would be awesome in a forest rally for instance.
    Ok cheers for that info, most of my night driving is on winding country roads so a light bar should be enough for me, I just have to find a suitable nice one, not overly large as I dont was the mess with the nice front end look of the Golf R or block any sensors etc.

Frosty