Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Assist with Halogen Lights

Yes I know all that but what does the OP expect? VW over the years have used many acronyms for many features of headlight control and many of them were still used when those features changed.

Users Country Flag
    DV52 will know for sure but I reckon the most he can expect would be HBA where the lights dip at oncoming cars and only if the car has the camera in the front of the mirror that detects them. HE should look and see if it has that first
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Hillbilly,

Thanks for the settings, will try it out, though am pretty sure will need to do some tweaking as the mentioned settings require AFS.

1. High Beam Assistant - Menu Control High Beam Assistant - Change to 'Present'
    2. Highbeam_assistant - Extended_airbeam control - Change to 'AFS, FLA, Highbeam via AFS'

I tried to code the car today. The coding I have is:

Enable Auto High Beam (Light Assist)
    Enables the Auto High Beam for Highline Models Only.

Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
    Security access
    Access Code 31347
    Adaptation
    1. Fernlicht_assistent – Menuesteuerung Fernlichtassistent – Change to ‘Present’
    2. Fernlicht_assistent – Erweiterte_Frenlichtsteuerung – Change to ‘AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS’

Enter Coding
    Byte 2 – Tick Bit 0 and Bit 1

Select Control Unit Front Sensor Driver Assist System (A5)
    Enter Coding
    Byte 21 – Tick Bit 5

Reboot Headunit. Option will now appear under ‘Light Settings’ and pushing the high beam stalk forward will reveal the symbol with an ‘A’ within it.

However, I cant seem to code central electronics (09) byte 2 or any byte as the entire coding is displayed as "zeros" . All the other control modules display the coding in numerical or hex. I'm using the latest version of VCDS (bought it two weeks ago - official).

Any thoughts?

Light Assist with Halogen Lights-bcm-jpg-jpg
    Last edited by nibose; 22-09-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Users Country Flag
    nibose: Sounds like you have a mk7 that's post MY16. The good Burghers in Germany that design control modules made some fairly drastic changes to the BCM around this time. The mods started with a change to the "parent" name of many of the adaptation channel groups. After that, further changes were made to the hex09 module in that the software switches in the module's long code were transferred to adaptation channels - making the already huge channel count in the module even larger.

That's why the long code on your BCM is a zero-string (i.e. all of the Byte/Bit functions are found in Adaptations -10 in VCDS).

So - to the instructions in your post. Here is the pre MY16 long coding helper screen for Byte 2 in the BCM:

Notice that the wording for hex05 in my picture above is fairly close to the adaptation channel in your instruction:
    2. Fernlicht_assistent – Erweiterte_Frenlichtsteuerung – Change to ‘AFS, FLA, Fernlicht ueber AFS’.

This suggests that the Byte/Bit instruction further in your instructions has already been accommodated in the adaptation change steps

But as they say at NASA "Houston we have a problem". The superfluous Byte/Bit instruction (i.e.
    Byte 2 – Tick Bit 0 and Bit 1) results in a value of hex03. BUT, the adaptation channel part of the instructions yields a an equivalent value of hex05 (see my picture).

Don

Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

I did manage to get HBA enabled. I now have the option available in the infotainment centre and moving the stalk makes this option available. Please take a look at the pictures. I will have to wait till evening to try this out.

Interestingly, I did get an error code when I did an autoscan - error message posted below. This seemed to disappear when I cleared the errors, took a tiny test drive and performed the autoscan again. Hope it doesnt return. Any thoughts?

09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    FLA_01 datenbus fehlende botschaft ==>Missing Databus error

I'm sorry the save function did not work properly, hence I'm not able to post the correct error codes.

Here are the codings I'd performed:
    Light Assist with Halogen Lights-hba-1-jpg
    "NOT PRESENT" value changed to "PRESENT"
    Light Assist with Halogen Lights-hba-2-jpg
    "Basis" value changed to "Basis: FLA" I chose this option since my car does not have AFS

Light Assist with Halogen Lights-hba-3-jpg
    New Option: 20 - AFS_Coding_Light_Assist_High_Beam_Assist

Please let me know if I'm missing something here.
    Last edited by nibose; 22-09-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    To be honest I found it wasnt all that great On the motorway with side lighting it tended to dip because of the bright lights

Now I have DLA , HBA doesnt seem to be coded in and so wont work which wont upset me as its pretty easy to flick the lever.

Ive had the car for 6 months and only driven at night once and not since i enabled DLA so dont know if its any good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    To be honest I found it wasnt all that great On the motorway with side lighting it tended to dip because of the bright lights
    Well, something's better than nothing.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

Now I have DLA , HBA doesnt seem to be coded in and so wont work which wont upset me as its pretty easy to flick the lever.

Ive had the car for 6 months and only driven at night once and not since i enabled DLA so dont know if its any good or not.
    They are ostensibly different versions of the same thing:

• Dynamic Light Assist (DLA) is an analogue version which integrates dynamic cornering light (AFS) and dynamic main beam control (MDF) functions so that the headlight range is continuously adapted as the car approaches another vehicle/light structure
    • whereas Main Beam Assist (FLA) is a digital (or more accurately described as a "binary") version in that it enforces a sudden switch between high beam and low beam.

I'm quite surprised that you have managed to enable DLA by simple coding. DLA headlight fittings generally include a group of individually moveable screens which can be swiveled into the light cone (i.e. the HID discharge envelope or the LED window) cast by the high beam lamp. The DLA function (i.e. the partial masking of certain areas of illumination as the car travels) is implemented through a combination of the screen switching and the horizontal adjustment of the lamp itself.

VW is renowned for providing only the bare essentials in their cars where physical equipment is concerned (i.e wiring looms are just sufficient - no more). It's lucky that your car was provided with DLA equipment if the function wasn't coded at the factory

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    They are ostensibly different versions of the same thing:

• Dynamic Light Assist (DLA) is an analogue version which integrates dynamic cornering light (AFS) and dynamic main beam control (MDF) functions so that the headlight range is continuously adapted as the car approaches another vehicle/light structure
    • whereas Main Beam Assist (FLA) is a digital (or more accurately described as a "binary") version in that it enforces a sudden switch between high beam and low beam.

I'm quite surprised that you have managed to enable DLA by simple coding. DLA headlight fittings generally include a group of individually moveable screens which can be swiveled into the light cone (i.e. the HID discharge envelope or the LED window) cast by the high beam lamp. The DLA function (i.e. the partial masking of certain areas of illumination as the car travels) is implemented through a combination of the screen switching and the horizontal adjustment of the lamp itself.

VW is renowned for providing only the bare essentials in their cars where physical equipment is concerned (i.e wiring looms are just sufficient - no more). It's lucky that your car was provided with DLA equipment if the function wasn't coded at the factory

Don
    The Tiguan162Rlines (at least) and the Allspace's have the same headlights. The Allspace has the Full DLA standard in the Driver assist package
    The 5 seater doesnt A Poster on here Phonebooth provided the coding instructions for DLA and it works using an OBDEleven.

I did ask about it on the OBDII forum but didnt get a reply It doesnt do what the Audi matrix lights do but it does blank out parts of the area

This shows the light pattern on startup

Light pattern.mp4 - Google Drive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast