Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER

Users Country Flag

[EDIT by Manaz: Enough.]
    Last edited by Manaz; 28-06-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_111954-jpgas you guys can see here... the radiator (right) and inlet tank which the sillicone attaches to (left) are right on each other... you may barely have 1mm gap there from close in spection.. and u have about 5- 10mm to fiddle around with the tube and clamp.. so 73MM inlet is about as big as you can fit on the OEM radiator.

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_112004-jpgOutlet / Sillicone
    Last edited by amunra; 28-06-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_111752-jpgtotal depth of the cooling package - Approx 155mm from the top of the cover.

there is still the fans that protrude behind that but i didnt include that just the top plastic tray with contents inside.

should be about OEM + 4 / 5mm of condensor ahead of that slightly.
    Last edited by amunra; 28-06-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    There is no need to trim any plastic trays if you buy a properly engineered product that fits the car correctly. I'll just leave this here for you so you can see for yourself. https://do88.com.au/wp-content/uploa.../ICM-300-B.pdf

There is quite literally only 1x way it goes together. It is impossible to have it setup the wrong way. If yours does not look like mine then I can assure you that you have made the mistake, not me.

And the reason why I took additional parts off my car during the install (including the plastic tray) is because I was taking the opportunity to clean everything thoroughly while I could access it to get rid of leaves/rocks/feathers etc. The reason why I swung my plastic tray aside and separated it from the a/c condenser is because of the acc radar in the lower grill. I didnt want to disconnect it and have to get it recalibrated, so the only way around that was to leave it connected which meant swinging the plastic support off to the passenger side.
    from ur DO88 install link.. STEP 28 (LAST STEP)

- Re-install all other parts in reverse order. Note! If thesupport center bracket behind the grille emblem isclose to the AC-condenser make sure the screw doesnot interfere with the AC-condenser when tighteningit. If the screw is to long, please cut it shorter.-

this would be because your condensor is pushed further forward same case as mine.

no where in that instruction does it tell you push the radiator forward or anything like that.. it does not even tell you how to properly fit it in.. they just assume it will go in nicely with the OEM radiator tabs.

I guarantee you didnt clip it in the bottom properly and because you didnt make any trimming... your IC brackets are getting blocked by the Radiator Tabs.. .. now ur intercooler is angled and pushing the radiator forward to fit it all in and get the hoses clamped up.

Users Country Flag

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    - Re-install all other parts in reverse order. Note! If thesupport center bracket behind the grille emblem isclose to the AC-condenser make sure the screw doesnot interfere with the AC-condenser when tighteningit. If the screw is to long, please cut it shorter.-

this would be because your condensor is pushed further forward same case as mine.
    Have I not already said this about 3 times already?

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    I guarantee you didnt clip it in the bottom properly and because you didnt make any trimming... your IC brackets are getting blocked by the Radiator Tabs.. .. now ur intercooler is angled and pushing the radiator forward to fit it all in and get the hoses clamped up.
    Wow holy moly you are right!!!! Look how badly aligned my radiator is!! That got to be at least a 0.1% angle its on. Do you honestly think im that much of a noob that I wouldn't realise if my radiator was installed correctly? Rest assured its correctly mounted into the slots at the base of the intercooler and then clicked in at the top. Its nicely secured and isn't going anywhere. Nothing is rubbing anywhere - I was actually under the car on Sunday installing a new front lip and gave everything a good looking over.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-06-2022 at 01:58 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    While im not going to try and deny the zoom level is different on these two pics, even Stevie Wonder could see that in the 2nd photo the radiator is pushed several centimetres back towards the engine when compared to the 1st photo.

As I mentioned earlier, the intercooler is the only part in that radiator/intercooler/ac conderser package that is actually mounted to the car, the radiator and ac condenser simply bolt onto the intercooler. So if the intercooler is thicker, both the radiator and ac condenser are going to be pushed away, with the radiator closer to the engine and the ac condenser closer to the front of the car.

I can see your car is still in pieces, so once you get it back together hopefully you will see the light.

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-stock-intercooler-jpg

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-aftermarket-intercooler-jpg

Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-06-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

if the radiator stays in the same place and you bolt the intercooler to the front.. technically it should be taking up more room at the front / condensor side without taking up the radiators old space.. therefore not pushing anything extra into the engine bay.. it should be where it was.

why are you taking up the radiators space?.. its meant to be kept in the same space with the new ic bolted onto the front not in place.

[EDIT by Manaz: I had to cut some of this out.]
    Last edited by Manaz; 28-06-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220702_124547-jpgheres a photo of the gap between the recently pushed forward condensor and the 'extended' screw that do888 warn of touching ur condensor.. as you can see there is daylight between the 2 and the camera actualyl couldnt capture the screw.. maybe 1 1/2 - 2 inches gap.

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220702_124602-jpg1 small screw (need to find something very small) to secure the condensor as it 'may' move when u try to move it by force.. better to be sure... the other side is very secure and does not move so worked out.

i also found after installing my sillicone hoses that the area were the radiator tab formerly was and the ic were slightly misalligned by approx .5 - 1cm... i slid under the car and literally pushed the radiator / fans towards the bumper with 2 fingers and heard it click back into place ..... had a look from the top and it was perfect allignment.. re-did the sillicone again with the electric ratchet and then 10inch hand too (another 10 - 15 turn) to really secure it and it was perfect..

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220702_124621-jpgmenacing big black wanger in the background.
    Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220702_124636-jpg

update - (relevant to anyone installing any IC really and / or re-assembling the front end)

when trying to put my headlights back in i noticed the screw hole thread for the headlight bolt which is in the cooling pack plastic tray was actually shifted forward by about 5mm and didnt allow for the screw to enter.. more on the left side and about 2mm on the right side.

my error was the screw hole thread next to the crash bar bolts cannot be pushed towards the engine ( i didnt notice when i was reassmbling the crashbar and fastening the plastic tray..) to fix this i needed to undo the screw (t30) and the tray needs to be pulled back towards the bumper a little bit (you will see the screw hole more in the middle or closer to the bumper rather than at the engine side... so the hole lines up with where the headlight screw hole goes when you put the headlight back in ... this will allow reassembly and to be all flush and fasten all the bolts.

hello all just a quick update as i know you guys love my posts especailly me talking about my BIG BLACK WANGER.

I used some black RTV sillicone to secure the condensor tabs onto the intercooler instead of a self tapping screw.

All pretty solid and doesnt move at all.

Job done.

Thanks for reading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123