Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    Good to see the photos, thanks!

The joys of car ownership...

There's lots of data out there, but none for your particular car. What always interests me is not absolute values (those are often so easily gamed) but rather delta values. And those are never relevant unless they're done on the same car, but the same operator, in conditions as close as possible to each other (with variations noted).

Turbo lag is generally due to the size of the turbo and how much exhaust gas flow it takes to spool it up. I've seen lots of comments about longer intake paths and larger intercooler volumes meaning that boost takes longer to build because there's more volume, but honestly, at the pressures and airflow rates we're talking, the difference is absolutely minimal.

You should see better performance though, as there should, all other things being equal, be less flow resistance through the core and pipework, and so less pressure drop between the turbo and the intake manifold. More pressure equals more air equals the ability to burn more fuel equals more power.

As before, thanks for photos. If you include the "rubber flap" (designed to help keep airflow going through the core and the radiator), what's the thickness of the OEM setup? Looks pretty similar to the Wanger - meaning that the Wanger's about as big as you can get before having to compromise fitting. Nice.

No worries about photos.. theyre the ones i took during install. will take some more close ups today or tomorrow.. Just needed a break from that space.

- I wanted to take some readings of the OEM intercooler but the whole car de-rego safety check made it too much work to do .. really threw that idea out of the window.. going to definately take some readings of the new IC so we'll know how its going (plenty of nice quiet / empty 100kmph roads for testing and pulls), we could atleast compare that to official WAGNER TUNING readings and see how it goes.. I guess the closest we can get to comparing to OEM unit is if someone else with a GOLF R MK7 or maybe 206 PASSAT / SKODA / ARTEON ( jb4 tune atleast ) volunteers to take some readings of their OEM IC , 3rd gear pulls and temps while driving and standing still / mixed conditions... it should be atleast Similar (but obviously wont be like for like)

I had concerns for turbo lag before i bought this size unit (there are thinner core ones on ebay with smaller inlet / outlets)... so i did my research ..but i think thats more an issue with the GTI turbos (is20 and less) as they dont put out enough pressure to fill the larger tank fast enough. the large tank still does a good job cooling and performing for them still but takes a bit longer to fill as u said creating lag... is38 and up shouldnt have a problem.. should allow me to crank out consistant HP figures and hopefully less stress on the turbo (as its getting a bit older) by reducing the pressure drop.

also Yes, thought about the front end /crash bar restricting air flow... but what are u going to do

- As for my little feathered friend.. he wanted to get connected with god .. felt pretty bad too was giving it the boot on some B-roads (very , very B road) and 2 rainbow birds decided to literally fly out low and right infront of me ? (WITH NOONE ELSE AROUND) and 1 of them got caught... had to pull him out of my front end and say a prayer for him. Don't Forget kids.. Speed Kills.

- As for the thickness of it packed together... With the plastic trims / side air deflectors .. i pieced everything back together on the car as i found it... the OEM air deflectors on the sides (need a little slit / slice at 1 or 2 points to open / bend and slide them back on properly into their clip sockets ( 3 on each side running top to bottom) otherwise they were a little bit pushed forward by a few MM and didnt want to sit back in properly... They did after small adjustments no problem.

With the WANGER unit being approx 20mm thicker than the OEM unit... i found it all bolted back up pretty tightly and nicely (looked about OEM .. But only after the slits / adjustments on the plastics (deflectors and tray) to get the condensor to fit back in nicely like it was OEM.. again this was due to it getting caught on the top edge of the tray which needed trimming.

- I would say this is about as big a unit as you would want to install without starting to compromise / removing the OEM plastics.. if you go for a THICKER unit such as DO888 , IE or EBAY BAR PLATE (clone of 1 of the previous 2)..... with an even thicker core (not sure why you want any thicker to be honest when it isnt going to be 'doing' much more) .... then you might have some trouble with fitments and repackaging / plastics back to OEM... they might need removing all together.

I will have to get back to you on the exact thickness measured of the core package after bolted up.. but it is basically OEM thickness if you want to use the plastic package tray as a guide.. it is packed tight but everything sitting properly and flush and honestly pretty glad it didnt give me any real headaches apart from having to trim a bit of plastics which ended up fine.

Sorry for repeating things like trimming the plastics.. it was pretty crucial detail to making all this fit flush and back together like OEM

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    I would say this is about as big a unit as you would want to install without starting to compromise / removing the OEM plastics.. if you go for a THICKER unit such as DO888, IE or EBAY BAR PLATE (clone of 1 of the previous 2)..... with an even thicker core (not sure why you want any thicker to be honest when it isnt going to be 'doing' much more) .... then you might have some trouble with fitments and repackaging / plastics back to OEM... they might need removing all together.
    Its do88, not DO888 - so lets get the basics correct. The core is approx 58mm thick on the do88 and it fits just fine - no need to trim any plastics.

And no doubt this core was a standard thickness they had access to that just happened to fit on the Mk7. The thicker core compared to the factory intercooler has certainly pushed the radiator pack back onto the engine so its reduced the amount of space between the front of the engine and the radiator pack. Once you get your car back together you will notice the same.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Its do88, not DO888 - so lets get the basics correct. The core is approx 58mm thick on the do88 and it fits just fine - no need to trim any plastics.

And no doubt this core was a standard thickness they had access to that just happened to fit on the Mk7. The thicker core compared to the factory intercooler has certainly pushed the radiator pack back onto the engine so its reduced the amount of space between the front of the engine and the radiator pack. Once you get your car back together you will notice the same.
    car is already packed together (clearly you seem to have missed that throughout the discussion in the thread) did not notice my radiator getting pushed towards the engine to be honest i noticed that was all the same as OEM placement.. dont see why having a thicker core intercooler would cause you to push the radiator towards the engine unless you have forcefully pushed it on yourself ( user error)... however in my case.. the condensor was sitting closer towards the front of the car/ crash bar (probably how it should be if uve fit your IC correctly) , thus needed to trim the plastic to fit the condensor back under the tray when thats in its OEM position too.

Clearly.. ur DO888 does not fit just fine as you have just stated it pushes the radiator closer towards the engine or you have had to push your radiator closer to the engine to make it fit in your case.. this is where the installation problems lay within alot of user reviews..they are pushing the radiator too far foward and some people have even cut hoses or damaged things over time by not leaving enough room between the radiator and engine (like there is with OEM)... things touching the radiator fans e.t.c e.t.c.

I have already stated all this in a previous post / reply to Manaz and just out of my own observations too..

So thanks for confirming said fitment issues with units like DO888 and IE, THICKER BAR PLATE MODELS

Users Country Flag
    LOL its just basic physics mate. The intercooler slots into a dedicated spot in the front clip, so if its thicker - the radiator will move closer to the engine, and the a/c condenser moves closer to the front bumper.

All you have done is made life harder for yourself to replace your Aliexpress spec waterpump as you have less room now. You should have done it while you had the front end off and made life easier for yourself - strange you didn't know this seeing you are so knowledable??

Why dont you come over one day so we can meet (gee id love that) and you can show me all the parts on my car that i've installed incorrectly as you seem to know everything.

Honestly I cant keep up with your dribble and your lack of punctuation or literacy skills if painful to read. My 7 year old kid can write better than this.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

already did my waterpump champ. you remove the radiator fan for that and leave the radiator in place..

I wont have any issues changing my waterpump again with how ive reinstalled because it is all in the OEM placement

by the sounds of it your installation of the DO888 will cause you or your mechanic troubles when they have to do that.

the intercooler goes INFRONT of the radiator towards the bumpers.. not In place or partially in place of the radiator ??

it definately should not be pushing the radiator towards the engine.. that is user error and you may pay for that in time.. like others have

Maybe if you payed attention to installing your intercooler correctly instead of fiddling with pretty pictures maybe you would have done it properly.. and then coming on here and arguing with people who actually know what they are talking about

Users Country Flag
    by the sounds of it your installation of the DO888 will cause you or your mechanic troubles when they have to do that.
    Nope it was done a month or so after intercooler install. All sweet - thanks for your concern.

the intercooler goes INFRONT of the radiator towards the bumpers.. not In place or partially in place of the radiator ?? it definately should not be pushing the radiator towards the engine..
    No $h17 Sherlock. The intercooler has mounting tabs on the bottom which slot into specific spots on the plastic support clip which means the intercooler remains in the same place, then the radiator and a/c condenser attach to either sides of the intercooler. Now - and ill keep this simple for you - because the intercooler is thicker, its means that the radiator is pushed back towards the engine and the a/c condenser is further forward than it was with the original intercooler. Its basic physics!!

Here is one of my pretty pictures for you showing the tabs on the bottom of both the factory intercooler and the do88.

Feel free to refer to my pretty pictures to help you understand what you are doing wrong, as this is why I take said pretty pictures and upload them to this forum - to help others. xoxo

arguing with people who actually know what they are talking about
    And who is this other person because it isn't you. You have no idea what you are talking about, and the more you talk the more you prove this.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-06-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Nope it was done a month or so after intercooler install. All sweet - thanks for your concern.

No $h17 Sherlock. The intercooler has mounting tabs on the bottom which slot into specific spots on the plastic support clip which means the intercooler remains in the same place, then the radiator and a/c condenser attach to either sides of the intercooler. Now - and ill keep this simple for you - because the intercooler is thicker, its means that the radiator is pushed back towards the engine and the a/c condenser is further forward than it was with the original intercooler. Its basic physics!!

Here is one of my pretty pictures for you showing the tabs on the bottom of both the factory intercooler and the do88.

Feel free to refer to my pretty pictures to help you understand what you are doing wrong, as this is why I take said pretty pictures and upload them to this forum - to help others. xoxo

And who is this other person because it isn't you. You have no idea what you are talking about, and the more you talk the more you prove this.
    cool story. id suggest u go dismantle your front end and show your kid how to properly install an intercooler.... your cooling pack is set up the wrong way and you are going to **** something up.. you really are a

the fact you havent trimmed your plastic tray to make the adjustments and have pushed your radiator further towards your engine is major user error .. im sure theres plenty of people laughing at you right now

trimming the plastic tray is a REQUIREMENT to make proper fitment ... i also noticed from your guide that you took the plastic supporting tray off completely which is another user error... i swung mine off together with the condensor like a door ... that way it was in the exact same spot it was before it came off and all adjustments / trimming were made from there for the required fitment.

--- lucas_GTI stupidity aside.

you guys may also see from my before and after photos that the condensor is actually pushed a little more forward than before (you can see the white peel at the top of the condensor) whereas it was sitting further back underneath the tray in the pre installation pics

Users Country Flag
    There is no need to trim any plastic trays if you buy a properly engineered product that fits the car correctly. I'll just leave this here for you so you can see for yourself. https://do88.com.au/wp-content/uploa.../ICM-300-B.pdf

your cooling pack is set up the wrong way and you are going to **** something up..
    There is quite literally only 1x way it goes together. It is impossible to have it setup the wrong way. If yours does not look like mine then I can assure you that you have made the mistake, not me.

And the reason why I took additional parts off my car during the install (including the plastic tray) is because I was taking the opportunity to clean everything thoroughly while I could access it to get rid of leaves/rocks/feathers etc. The reason why I swung my plastic tray aside and separated it from the a/c condenser is because of the acc radar in the lower grill. I didnt want to disconnect it and have to get it recalibrated, so the only way around that was to leave it connected which meant swinging the plastic support off to the passenger side.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-06-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

There is no need to trim any plastic trays if you buy a properly engineered product that fits the car correctly. I'll just leave this here for you so you can see for yourself. https://do88.com.au/wp-content/uploa.../ICM-300-B.pdf

There is quite literally only 1x way it goes together. It is impossible to have it setup the wrong way. If yours does not look like mine then I can assure you that you have made the mistake, not me.

And the reason why I took additional parts off my car during the install (including the plastic tray) is because I was taking the opportunity to clean everything thoroughly while I could access it to get rid of leaves/rocks/feathers etc. The reason why I swung my plastic tray aside and separated it from the a/c condenser is because of the acc radar in the lower grill. I didnt want to disconnect it and have to get it recalibrated, so the only way around that was to leave it connected which meant swinging the plastic support off to the passenger side.
    good luck then if your IC is 'designed' to push your radiator closer to the engine.. WT clearly have done it differently (as this is a wagner clone). im still thinking its your user error and were too busy making sure everything was Clean and Pretty for a picture.

I literally had 2 options... Take photos of everything at risk being distracted & ****ing something up.... or Get the job done properly

you clearly had other things going on while installing and skipped a couple of common sense things

Just inspected and took some more photos of the install for you guys to have an even clearer idea what how it came together and what im saying...

to clarify.. my radiator is not pushed towards the engine .. my intercooler is straight and parallel to the radiator with sillicone hoses attached as well and flush as possible (i just did the inlet hose again with an electric wratchet to tighten... that way i could push the hose towards the inlet properly and tighten at the same time.... and the intercooler looks flush and nice while looking from the top.. it cannot possibly get any better than that with the top clips in proper place and everything packed together.

from the front of the car........ the condensor protrudes forward from the plastic package tray by about 4 - 5mm (where as OEM it stops before the end of the plastic tray...) .. so there is approx 15MM extra room inside the tray (which some intercoolers meet perfectly for a perfect oem fitment) and then these larger ones which need trimming and modifiying to have it fit in properly and flush. ... in my case.. +19-20mm extra core means 15mm gets eaten by the tray and 4-5mm pokes ahead.. ..

Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_111538-jpg 5mm forward / past the end of the plastic package tray lip (used to stop behind the lip)
    Its Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_111416-jpgIts Official... I Inserted MY 73MM BIG BLACK WANGER-20220628_111410-jpg

unfortunately going from other peoples installs if the intercooler is not sitting flush or pushing the radiator forward.. things going wrong.. but its mainly to do with the core thicknesses.

this is why its important to know what you're actually buying / specs of what you are buying/ why you are buying it / what you are going to get out of it and be prepared to install it properly and do some extra things to make it fit..

there is NO such thing as not modifying the oem trims or tray to install these size intercoolers, end of story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast