Thread: Infotainment Unit Failure

Users Country Flag

Infotainment Unit Failure

My 3.5-year old Volkswagen Golf's infotainment unit has carked it. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. Took it to a VW authorised service centre and the problem was diagnosed to be an "internal failure of infotainment system" that will require the infotainment system unit to be replaced.

Here's my problem: My Golf is just out of warranty and Volkswagen Australia wants me to bear a cost of just under $500 for the replacement unit, despite my request for a free repair.

I am very annoyed at them about this because surely this constitutes a failure under Australian Consumer Law to meet the guarantee of acceptable quality of the vehicle. Because of the infotainment unit failure, I cannot use my reverse camera, bluetooth for calls and music, screen for GPS navigation, radio, and all the car settings that can only be accessed through the infotainment system. A car buyer would expect this key component of the Golf's driving experience to last longer than 3.5 years before going into "internal failure", right?

So I need your collective wisdom and advice. Am I being reasonable? Should I just bite the bullet and give up the cash to get this fixed? Should I take this further with Fair Trading, NCAT etc? Anyone else who has had the same problem, and how did you sort it out?

Extra info:
    - The Golf was brought brand new in 2017, I'm the first owner
    - The 3-year warranty period has passed
    - I have always serviced at a VW authorised service centre and earlier than the time and kilometres stipulated in service schedule
    - This is the second problem my (young) Golf has had – the first was a water pump leakage that was repaired under warranty
    Last edited by Lanceteer; 13-03-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Ask nicely and push the point of time Have a read though the GOLF MK7 threads
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I reckon the $500 parts and labour price for installing new head unit that VW is quoting is already a “goodwill” gesture on their part. Out of warranty goodwill claims tend to require the customer to pay cost for the replacement part. I reckon if you are 6+ months out of warranty you will struggle to get the job done for nothing.