Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should I list my MY18 Golf GTI

How much should I list my MY18 Golf GTI

Hello

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm wanting to get rid of my MY18, manual golf GTI with full options. Just because I dont need the car. This year i've only put on 1.5k km's on it; its currently sitting at 25k km.

My issue is I don't know how much to list it on carsales for? The autos in a similar spec are going 33-36k. But manuals appears to be listed slightly higher?

I'm not sure if this is because they stopped the manuals?

The i've looked after this heaps, i.e 98 ron only, washed every weekend, its mainly highway driving etc.

I was going to list for 39990 but willing to take 38k?

Thoughts? Am I asking too much, not enough?

Users Country Flag
    I have sold 5 cars on Carsales , the last listed a bit high , like you low 42km , i was prepared to wait .
    When i found the right car to buy i then dropped it by $2k , instant two phone calls , sold in two days , the watchers wait for you to cave in , but you must be patient .
    There is a shortage of used cars , in SA carsales always had about 200 to 250 cars on the private site , now down to low 80's , so its in your favour , dont know about the manual factor , mine was , and the dude was very keen on manual .
    Maybe list it around $38k .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Does yours have 5 year warranty or only balance of 3 years?

Manuals are often going to take longer to sell just because of a smaller market.

You won’t get as much when selling privately so undercut the dealer cars by $1k to get the calls/enquiries.

I’d price it at $37,990 as the dealer cars are at $38,888.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Unfortunately, Its only the balance of 3 years... so till Feb 2021 is left. In saying that though, im sure VW would do good will if something went wrong < 5 years given that its been serviced at the dealer and theyre known to do this sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Does yours have 5 year warranty or only balance of 3 years?

Manuals are often going to take longer to sell just because of a smaller market.

You won’t get as much when selling privately so undercut the dealer cars by $1k to get the calls/enquiries.

I’d price it at $37,990 as the dealer cars are at $38,888.

That dealers car has 12k more kms. No lux pack (sunroof and leather), no infortainment pack(sub, Discover Pro and infotainment) hmm edit: Sorry! you're looking at the white one. I was looking at the black one. The white one doesnt have the DAP system (Self park, adaptive cruise (i think thats what it came with), you can tell by the missing button in the centre console)
    Last edited by liljohnny19; 16-11-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Yeah but as a private seller you have to have a lot of things better than a dealers car for someone to take the “risk” of buying privately.

There are zero protections for the private sale buyer. As soon as they hand over the cash and drive your car away it’s 100% their problem.

So it needs to be priced accordingly so that people will take the risk.

Like I said you need to be priced under the dealer cars and have better options/km to sell.

What you need to do is get a better price than wholesale.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

The DSG GTIs are priced lower as there are more of them and this keeps the asking price down. You would be selling in the manual GTi market where potential buyers will be specifically looking for a manual GTI rather than a GTi. I would therefore benchmark yours in terms of the asking price with other manuals with similar specs and ignore the DSG GTi market.
    I have sold a few niche cars through carsales and in my experience you price it at what you think it is worth and wait for the right buyer to come along. You will be dealing with a well informed and likely enthusiast buyer who will know your model and the market really well. You just need to be patient and not be tempted to drop the price every few days as this will only signal to the low ballers and wheeler dealers that you are desperate to sell. It sounds like as your car is surplus to your needs you can afford to be patient. Good luck.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCD View Post
    The DSG GTIs are priced lower as there are more of them and this keeps the asking price down. You would be selling in the manual GTi market where potential buyers will be specifically looking for a manual GTI rather than a GTi. I would therefore benchmark yours in terms of the asking price with other manuals with similar specs and ignore the DSG GTi market.
    I have sold a few niche cars through carsales and in my experience you price it at what you think it is worth and wait for the right buyer to come along. You will be dealing with a well informed and likely enthusiast buyer who will know your model and the market really well. You just need to be patient and not be tempted to drop the price every few days as this will only signal to the low ballers and wheeler dealers that you are desperate to sell. It sounds like as your car is surplus to your needs you can afford to be patient. Good luck.
    Totally agree with your comment ABCD patience is the key .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Yeah, definitively not in a rush. Better get it detailed and take some photos Let me know if anyone is interested in it

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The biggest issue right now is that everyone is pricing against everyone else across the market.. and most of the cars are not selling - so just be aware of that fact (courtesy of Covid supply and the extra time everyone got to search cars ).

I'm not suggesting the above prices are incorrect, but I have noticed in some of the random markets I have been looking in some stupidly optimistic pricing. I reckon current RS3s would just about win that award.

Quote Originally Posted by liljohnny19 View Post
    Yeah, definitively not in a rush. Better get it detailed and take some photos Let me know if anyone is interested in it
    Just do better than one of the current adverts I saw that literally has the car cleaning van parked behind the car for sale still with water marks on the ground - that dude was clearly not wasting any time.

But yes, patience is key. And above all else - tolerance. I'm still amazed by the volume of ****heads on carsales.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast