Support VWWC

Thread: how to install accessory power to rear vision mirror area for dash cam

Users Country Flag

how to install accessory power to rear vision mirror area for dash cam

Hi all,

I'm about to take delivery of our Mk7 GTI Performance, and will be moving our dash cams across from the Mk6.

Does anyone:
    • have any experience removing the Mk7 A pillar, or
    • have access to the technical drawings / eRWin instructions or similar?

I'm keen to avoid the complexity of the Mk6 debacle (anyone familiar will know what I'm talking about), however I'd also prefer to have that clean look without wires hanging everywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Jamie
    Mk7 GTI Performance DSG Carbon Steel Grey

how to install accessory power to rear vision mirror area for dash cam

I did something similar to this: Installing a 2 channel Dash Cam - Blackvue DR650GW-2CH - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VW R Owners Club

Depends on your dash cam, I suppose

Users Country Flag
    I used a fuse-based USB socket from Jaycar to install a USB port behind the fuse box. I then ran a USB cable behind the trim on the end of the dashboard and the outside of the A Pillar trim (nearest the door). I did it by using my car upholstery thingy to pull back the trim just enough to tuck the cable in.

At the top of the A Pillar I ran the cable along the edge against the headlining and continued along the edge of the headlining and windscreen to the rear view mirror.

At the rear view mirror, the cable is tucked against the passenger side so you can't easily see it.

I use a 2m cable and this was the perfect length to keep the cable in place under its own strength and tension.

The USB port is on fuse position 47 (or it might be 4 and uses a 10A fuse which is then backed up by a 5A fuse in the USB port itself. It turns on and off with the car so I don't have to remember to turn it on when I get in.

All I had to do was take the end trim off the dash and drop the glovebox down to get to the fuse panel. I deliberately left the A Pillar trim alone because of the airbag behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look
    Mk7 GTI Performance DSG Carbon Steel Grey

Users Country Flag
    OK - I've not installed a dash-cam in my mk7, but if doing so just requires a connection to a Terminal 15 Voltage (i.e. volts-on when ignition-on) and earth, then the VW wiring diagram says that it's possible by thieving these points from PIN #1 (+12V - T15) and PIN #2 (Earth) on the antidazzle mirror. See below - what have I missed?
    Don

Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Has anyone installed one of those "Black Magic" power units with their dash cam? Would love to see an install walkthrough...

Users Country Flag

Ignore ^ Just saw TheBoyRiley's thread. Thanks