Support VWWC

Thread: Hatch pop kits MK7.5

Users Country Flag

Question Hatch pop kits MK7.5

So just discovered my MK7.5 GTI came pre programmed to open the hatch via the remote, so thought I might as well look into a hatch pop kit. I'm thinking the USP kit would be the better option with a softer open and less force to close. No need to worry about cold weather here.

Has anyone installed the USP kit? Any thoughts on pop kits in general?

I'm yet to email USP to see if the kit is MK7.5 compatible (I assume it would be), but will update once I find out.

Users Country Flag
    I think ecs also has a kit was just watching the installation vid on you tube

I think the kit will work the 7 and 7.5 are virtually identical apart from a bumper and front guard reskin(option packages aside that is)
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    ^^^^ hmm......."the better option with a softer open and less force to close".

Are you sure? I was just responding to a colleague on the OBD11 forum who had installed a set of UPS hatch lifters. My understanding is that these lifters work by adding more upward pressure to the hatch lid when the latch is opened - thereby causing the hatch to lift. As a consequence, more downward pressure is needed to close the lid. Happy to be told otherwise.

Don

Note: the message regarding closing force at about 0:57 sec into the video
    Also note the comment below from the UPS website about this product"
    "I knew that closing the hatch would be more"challenging "...but the pop benefits far outweigh that. My wifey will never use the car, so there!
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sorry. I meant the USP kit vs the ECS kit. Neither are a soft and smooth as the factory. The ECS kit has stronger springs and lifters, which makes it more energetic to open and harder to close, but works better in near freezing temps where the UPS kit struggles to open on it's own. I live in a sub tropical climate so don't need to worry about temps. Just that it's not too hard to close when the gf has the car.

USP has a sale on so I might as well order and see how I go.

I rather like the idea of an auotmagically opening rear hatch.
    Also wish there was a button inside the cabin that can pop open the hatch.
    But wait, there is such a button. Its right there on the key fob. D'oh.

I'll consider adding this nice mod to my wish list.
    Current : 2017 Mk7 Golf R (most options) || 2012 Golf Mk6 TDi (few options)
    Gone : 2004 Bora V6 4Motion (few klms, all options)

><(((°> ><(((°>

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just an update, I did get the USP kit. I suspect it's geared to cooler weather as currently it opens strong enough to shake the car and bounce the hatch once it opens all the way. Also much harder to close than the youtube vids made out. I opened and closed it 20 times to see if it eased up, but no luck.

Haven't had a chance to contact USP yet, but I think I'll keep it stock for now as I'm sure the kit is operating as it should.

The kit itself is superb quality and fits extremely easily. Would work well with a rear wiper delete mod to give you something to push down on.

Users Country Flag

The Mark 6 I had was easy. You just turned the mounting plate around that the two arms rested on which attached to the body of the car. Some forum members added stronger Passat struts, but I found the stock struts worked 90% of the time, and fully opened the hatch, unless it was winter.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP