Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a GTI PP good enough?

Is a GTI PP good enough?

Currently considering upgrade options for my daily. Looking at something more mod friendly and better on fuel compared to my R36.

Is a GTI PP good enough for a fun, fast daily or should I pony up a bit more for an R/S3?

I assume that the MK7 platform cars are a huge step up in feel compared to the MK5/6? The MK5/6s that I had did feel very similar to each other.

Also, when did the GTI/Rs get Carplay/MIB2, was it MY16?
    '18 MY18.5 MK3.5 Octavia vRS245
    Previous - 2015 MY16 MK7 R, 2010 MY10 R36 DSG, 2010 MK6 Golf GTI DSG // APR Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Jetta TFSI DSG // Revo Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Golf GTI Manual

Users Country Flag
    Having driven both the PP is totally acceptable until you drive an R. Is a GTI PP good enough?
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Get an Ed40. It’s a more engaging drive than the R. You do gain traction with AWD but it does come at the cost of weight. So you then have to add power to overcome the added weight penalty. Really the R only starts to come properly alive at stage 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Depending on your budget, the Mk7 GTI PP is a fun car and very modify-able - I just bought myself one a few months ago.

Wasn't really all that interested in the regular GTI, as the PP has the electronic diff, bigger brakes and other goodies like the xenon headlights and LED taillights as standard.

Yes the R or S3 is faster, but its heavier and feels more dull (I used to own a Mk6 R and have driven several Mk7 R's). For daily street driving there is zero advantage of the R or S3 over a GTI in my opinion. The only real advantage of the R or S3 over a GTI is wet weather grip or traction from a standstill (eg traffic light grand prix).

The diff in the GTI PP is very good and gives the car very high levels of grip both in a straight line and out of corners. The GTI also feels more nimble and is more fun to drive.

If your budget allows for an GTI Edition 40 then that would be the ultimate.

Real world fuel consumption is about 8.5L per 100km for me in my GTI PP.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    What tigger and Lucas have said.

My ED40 is vastly more interesting than some of the other VAG I have owned.

There's a good 'un for sale right now.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    I have an R36 and a GTI PP and love them both. The Golf is significantly more economical than the R36, averaging 7-8 litres/100km compared to the R36 at 11 litres/100km, which is still impressive for such a big powerful car. The Golf is my wife’s runabout and is unmodified and very easy to live with. The ride is a bit brittle on the 19s and they are very expensive to replace with quality rubber.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    What tigger and Lucas have said.

My ED40 is vastly more interesting than some of the other VAG I have owned.

There's a good 'un for sale right now.
    I wasn’t going to mention the low km Ed40 example currently for sale in Adelaide but now that you have...

If you can’t afford the new sticker pack TCR then the Ed40 is the next “ultimate” GTI.

GTI is more fuel efficient than R as you don’t have the 100kg weight penalty and AWD drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I'm going to go the exact opposite to everyone ....

I will never buy myself a 2WD car new EVER again. So its an R (or similar/better) for me personally every time in the future. The traction advantages of the R extend well beyond what any GTI (even modded) is capable of ....

I will keep on buying anything that attracts me in 2WD to play with as a project (for a variety of purposes), but in order to go really really fast in a straight line and around and out of corners, only AWD will do.

I'm getting tired of throwing lots of money at suspension work to try and make a 2WD (FWD and RWD) put power effectively to the ground .... the physics just don't stack up. All of the Euros have now gone AWD for their top performance models for good reason.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    What Sharkie says is correct about the GTI Performance. You do get axle tramp on hard standing starts in the wet, something my Integra Type R, which had a Torsen LSD never did. In that respect the AWD of the R36 and Golf R does spoil you…

Btw, the MIB2 was introduced on the MY16 range of Golfs.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Quote Originally Posted by hardy_bm View Post
    Having driven both the PP is totally acceptable until you drive an R. Is a GTI PP good enough?
    Driven both very hard and the PP is good enough and the R only shines when it is very slippery. Anyone who can drive a PP beyond its limits on a public road and get it back without hitting anything is either extremely lucky or very talented. In a straight line the R is quicker but who cares about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast