Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a GTI PP good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Driven both very hard and the PP is good enough and the R only shines when it is very slippery. In a straight line the R is quicker but who cares about that.
    Me ? You gotta take your fun where and when you can get it ....

Also when turning out at a T intersection on a wet day with traffic around it is nice to know my R will just grip and go, without worrying about carefully modulating the accelerator to avoid FWD wheelspin.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    ... and the R only shines when it is very slippery.
    Actually that is not my experience at all. At anything more than a Stg 1 on a GTI, a vigorous application of the throttle ALWAYS overwhelms the grip available at the front wheels, even on dry roads. If it happened only on the track or strip you could live with it (albeit unhappily) but it happens on the road all the time. The reasons you would need to apply a bit of heavy throttle could be many, including exiting a round-about, starting quickly at the lights (without actually racing), trying to take a gap at low speeds that need quick acceleration .... etc etc etc. With the R you have grip ALL the time and not only is it safer and more comforting but also faster

So to go back to OP, if your budget stretches to a R buy it instead, and if it doesn't, the GTI PP is still a lot better than anything else FWD out there except a Honda Civic Type R.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

The right foot controls the wheel spin or at least mine does.

Users Country Flag
    The right foot controls the wheel spin or at least mine does.
    Yup, and then you go slower .... don't have that problem with AWD.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Yup, and then you go slower .... don't have that problem with AWD.
    Which is why some people say the GTI is a more engaging drive as it’s not just mashing your right foot to the firewall. Also why purists prefer manuals as the joy of getting the gear change right yourself.

I understand both schools of thought. AWD is definitely quicker in the wet. On a roll in the dry it’s line-ball. GTI is lighter and you do notice the extra weight in the R.

Axle tramp is a pain in the ass and any honest GTI owner will agree so you really are into feathering the throttle out of corners especially until your wheels are straight. Tuned this is worse of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Which is why some people say the GTI is a more engaging drive as it’s not just mashing your right foot to the firewall. Also why purists prefer manuals as the joy of getting the gear change right yourself.
    I don't know though, I am a purist as I only drive manuals and thoroughly enjoy that, but I absolutely hate having to feather the throttle searching for elusive grip in a powerful 2WD car. Sure good tires and some "driver aids" can help, but it can't fix the inherent problem.

To be fair I don't necessarily like the extra weight a R carries, but I'd accept that every day for more grip.

Users Country Flag

Until recently i had a TT AWD , and i would drive the B roads once a week alternating with my MK6 GTI .
    Yes the TT out shone it on the corners and at launch , but now with the Mk7 CS its so much lighter on its feet , in the corners i just hammer it with no issues , it does make the TT feel heavy .
    Agree that tramp is an issue on the GTI , but iam not a traffic light racer ,you learn to get out of the lower gears quickly and then press on .
    When is was a damp day the TT was the preference , long live the manual .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12