Thread: GTi Original Mk 7.5 - lowering suggestions?

Users Country Flag

GTi Original Mk 7.5 - lowering suggestions?

Hi all,

Newbie here. Tried to register at vwgolf.net.au, but can't get validation email (others seem to have the same problem) - Justin Fox (founder there) seems to be dead or indifferent as he is impossible to reach. I hear you guys are a friendly bunch

I am the proud owner of one of the very rare GTI Originals (Mk 7.5 201. I am looking for advice about lowering in a way that doesn't overlay worsen the ride harshness. One suggestion so far is "Bilstein B8 & H&R Springs" but he estimates 25 mm drop - sounds a bit much to me.

To my way of thinking, 15-20 mm would be enough (visually) without being too stiff. I actually saw a red one on the road the other day, lowered nicely (DWA ***), and I should have stopped him for info - alas here I am.

Any recommendations for lowering? Amount, spring types or installer

Also, I highly recommend you guys participate in the GolfGTi reddit.

Thanks all!

Users Country Flag
    Eibach usually get good wraps for retaining some ride comfort.

Otherwise it will be the usual suspects and all would usually have a kit that aims around that 20-25mm mark.

You'll find that 20-25mm is the sweet spot for the right look, without being too low for practical use.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate - you aren't missing anything on VWGolf.net - that forum has been dead for probably 2-3 years now. I am still on the moderator team but Justin has completely abandoned it and isn't even approving new member registrations so you sign up and you sit in limbo waiting forever (literally) to be approved). He doesn't even answer queries from the moderator team - weird.

This forum is still very much alive and is where you want to be for info and advice on your GTI.

Below are a couple of suspension options for you to consider, but basically Eibach, H&R, VWRacingline (which i believe is Eibach rebranded) and Emmanuele Designs are the main go-to's for lowering springs. All the spring options are very close price wise. I believe the Emmanuele Design offer the smallest drop in height (around 15mm), all the other brands go another 10mm (25mm in total) or so lower.

H&R MK7 GTI Lowering Sport Performance Spring Kit – V-tech Australia | Engineered Performance

Emmanuele Design “eMMOTION” Lowering Spring Kit (MK7 / 8V) – AutoInstruct

Racingline Sport Springs (ACC Compatible) - MK7 GTI - Harding Performance

Racingline Sport Spring & Damper Kit - Golf MK7 GTI - Harding Performance

034Motorsport Dynamic+ Lowering Springs MK7 VW Golf/GTI – AutoInstruct

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/prod...-mk7-golf-gti/

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/prod...olf-mk7-non-r/
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-05-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I also found the Emmanuele Design springs cheaper on the Tarmac website. Emmanuele Design Lowering Spring - Tarmac Engineering but Tarmac have gone awfully quiet the past few years........not sure if they are still around?? Might be worth a call first before placing an order to ensure they are still alive.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    If you are on facebook there is a page for the Original:

Now: 2018 Mk 7.5 Golf R Grid Ed | Man | White Silver Metallic
    Past: 1994 Subaru Liberty RS | Man | White
    ........2000 Nissan 200SX S15 Spec S | Man | Red
    ........2011 Mk VI Golf 118 TSI | Man | Candy White

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Amazing information - thank you so much!

As for Justin (vwgolf.net.au), I managed to reach out on Messenger. After a complete misinterpretation (by him) of my comments about his lack of attention to his projects, he promptly blocked me after telling me to "f off" - I had begun to explain that he completely misunderstood the tone of my message (in which I was suggesting he hand it off to someone else with more energy and time), but since he blocked, he basically never received my reply and went of in a huff. Justin if you're out there lurking (doubt it) - what I was trying to say was that "you kick started a great community but your lack of time is stiffling it - how about you hand over the reigns to someone else and in so doing see your original vision come back to life?"

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks very much for that. So far, I have narrowed it down to the [RacingLine VWR30-G7 VWR SPORT SUSPENSION KIT] (https://www.racingline.com/sport-sus-kit-mqb). One installer has quoted $AUD1000 to supply fit and align. Does the kit and cost sound about right?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzle View Post
    Thanks very much for that. So far, I have narrowed it down to the [RacingLine VWR30-G7 VWR SPORT SUSPENSION KIT] (https://www.racingline.com/sport-sus-kit-mqb). One installer has quoted $AUD1000 to supply fit and align. Does the kit and cost sound about right?
    If you are even remotely handy the rear springs are super easy and will take you no longer than 20-30 mins to install. You could install the rears yourself and then get the mechanic to install the fronts and pay a bit less.

The front springs are more complicated as you need spring compressors and a special tool to remove the front struts.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by juzzle View Post
    ...I am looking for advice about lowering in a way that doesn't overlay worsen the ride harshness...
    When I lowered my S3 I had the same criteria as you and I only wanted a drop of 15mm or so.

Having previously used springs only (albeit on a Cooper S) and loving the look but not the harshness I went for coilovers on my S3.

I've been running PSS10s for close to six years now and they've been superb.

Yes, they're overkill for my needs. Yes, they were expensive.

No, I absolutely don't regret it.

They are excellent.

MY10 S3 3dr