Support VWWC

Thread: GTI muffler on Golf TSI

Users Country Flag

GTI muffler on Golf TSI

Hi guys,
    I have a 2019 Golf Comfortline and I'm looking to increase the sound that it makes. I have seen threads where the TSI catback system has been replaced with one from a GTI, but I wanted to know if just replacing the TSI muffler with a GTI muffler will make it louder. I'm not really looking to do any res or muffler deletes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
    Gibbo

Users Country Flag
    In short, yes, a stock GTI exhaust is louder than a stock TSI exhaust. It is bigger, 2.5" compared to 2", in diameter. Not massively louder, but noticeably louder.

It is not a perfectly straightforward job though. You will need to buy a GTI real valance (the black bit at the bottom of the rear bumper). In your case this will have to be for a MK7.5 GTI. MK7 GTI valance does NOT fit! Then you will need an adaptor from an exhaust shop to join the 2.5" GTI exhaust to the 2" TSI front pipe.

NOTE you will also need a MK7.5 GTI exhaust, a MK7's exhaust won't fit properly. It will bolt up, but the exhaust tips are wrong.

It's all easy enough to do, just need to remember the above. Photos and details in this thread Project 145TSI
    Last edited by Sharkie; 23-07-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo12 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a 2019 Golf Comfortline and I'm looking to increase the sound that it makes. I have seen threads where the TSI catback system has been replaced with one from a GTI, but I wanted to know if just replacing the TSI muffler with a GTI muffler will make it louder. I'm not really looking to do any res or muffler deletes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
    Gibbo
    Hey Gibbo12 GTI muffler on Golf TSI
    So, did it end well? muffler fits? Which one did you buy, from tcr?

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    In short, yes, a stock GTI exhaust is louder than a stock TSI exhaust. It is bigger, 2.5" compared to 2", in diameter. Not massively louder, but noticeably louder.

It is not a perfectly straightforward job though. You will need to buy a GTI real valance (the black bit at the bottom of the rear bumper). In your case this will have to be for a MK7.5 GTI. MK7 GTI valance does NOT fit! Then you will need an adaptor from an exhaust shop to join the 2.5" GTI exhaust to the 2" TSI front pipe.

NOTE you will also need a MK7.5 GTI exhaust, a MK7's exhaust won't fit properly. It will bolt up, but the exhaust tips are wrong.

It's all easy enough to do, just need to remember the above. Photos and details in this thread Project 145TSI
    Thanks for the reply Sharkie, I had a look at the thread and took what you said into account. I ordered the muffler and valance last week and am now waiting on the muffler's arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by alxhtch View Post
    Hey Gibbo12 GTI muffler on Golf TSI
    So, did it end well? muffler fits? Which one did you buy, from tcr?

Hi there,
    I ended up ordering a TCR muffler and it should arrive sometime this week. I will keep you updated once I receive and fit it.

Registering interest…

I do want to do this mod as well but I don’t know if the valance will fit on the wagon bumper and if not what other options I would have.

Alrighty, back with an update.

I had the TCR muffler installed the other day and I have had some time to drive with it on. My Golf now has DSG farts and slight pops when I drive but still retains comfortable sound levels at slow and cruising speeds. For me at least, this is perfect as it is the right balance between comfort and fun.

Overall, I would say it was worth spending the money.

GTI muffler on Golf TSI-tcr-muffler-jpg
    Last edited by Gibbo12; 07-08-2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added a picture

Users Country Flag

I had the TCR muffler installed the other day and I have had some time to drive with it on. My Golf now has DSG farts and slight pops when I drive but still retains comfortable sound levels at slow and cruising speeds. For me at least, this is perfect as it is the right balance between comfort and fun.

Sounds great so, which part number you bought? 611ED?

Users Country Flag

Hello there, I have couple more questions for you, may you help me? - how did you screw the edges of the diffuser to the bumper? I know there’re special fasteners, but I don't know their part numbers ... also special bolts. did you use any of this?