Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: GTI Edition 40 / Clubsport Thread

Users Country Flag

thanks ill check it out
    MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | Carbon | Manual | Current

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinty View Post
    Picked mine up from "Definitive Car Detailing" today. I told my dealership to NOT machine polish my car, so no blemishes aside from some glue residue.

I opted for "Brila" on the paintwork and rims/calipers and Opti-coat products for the rest of the interior,door-jams, glass & engine-bay. Also put some PPF on the B-pillars and Headlights to stop swirl marks/scratches. Now it looks ultra clean and shiny, better than when I picked it up from the dealer. GTI Edition 40 / Clubsport Thread

Nice. I took my 40Y there and was very pleased with how it went.

Regarding the discussion with oversteer with power, I've not experienced this yet (to be honest not keen given below)

However in the MK4 GTI I did experience oversteer (in a negative way - wrote car off). When I was feeling naughty, I'd hit it into a corner, would start sliding but keep foot down and those Michelin PPS2s would grip and I'd shoot off as intended.

Except on one fateful day in the dry, I must have hit oil because the loss of all traction was unexpected (shot to red line) and went sliding to the point I was going to cross into opposing traffic. Backed off and reapplied in quick motion and PPS2s in front gripped and rear started to slide. Awesome oversteer.

Except I went from sliding towards 1 o'clock to having traction and facing 9-10 o'clock.

The result is I now have the 40Y.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk
    -DIDZ

Users Country Flag
    What you describe was lift off oversteer. Can be disturbing in the dry when speeds typically higher.

Saw my first 40th on the road today. Dark grey. Looked amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratz View Post
    Picked up my gti40 yesterday - I was not prepared for how light the clutch is! Also oil temp runs over 100c - which seems hotter than my previous mk6 when it was stock - I assume it's normal and prevents the oil bunking up with unburnt fuel and other such deposits?
    The 2nd-gen EA888 (Mk7 GTI/R/etc) runs quite a bit hotter oil temps than the 1st gen, and other older VAG engines. It's a bi-product of the new exhaust manifold and turbo housing incorporated into the head (with cooling channels built in). Anything from 105-110 is typical for normal driving, and it tends not to move too much higher even when pushing on; I've not seen higher than 115 in any of the cars I've driven with this engine, even on track.
    Last edited by AdamD; 01-10-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by LibraR View Post
    In the case of the Trophy R, the weighting of the vehicle front to rear (approximately two thirds to the front), and the combination of the PSC2 tyres and the Perfohub/LSD combination and font end geometry is such that it will indeed step the tail out on wet roads, even under power, on corners. This includes in some uphill situations, subject to road geometry etc.. I'm guessing the weight transfer to the rear under power is still small compared to the huge grip afforded by the front end, resulting in the rear moving out on wet roads.
    It's certainly possible (it's not power oversteer, mind you, because it's not oversteer by power), although it's very rare for a road car of any configuration to be set up that way, because a car with substantially less grip at the rear axle than the front - even when there's some weight transfer loading up the rear on acceleration - is inherently unbalanced and can be extremely tricky to drive (at best; very dangerous at worst). If the suspension is adjustable, that doesn't sound like a road-safe configuration to me. If you could coax the rear around under braking and then maintain the angle (once traction was lost at the rear) with a modicum of power applied that'd be fine however.

Some older FWDs used simple trailing arm/single beam suspension designs (the French were famous for it) that would dramatically alter the camber of the rear wheels when unloaded, leading to lift-off hilarity and frequent visits to the closest hedge. But even these were reasonably well balanced under normal weight distribution scenarios. I used to drive an old Peugeot 405 and it was a proper handful - wet or dry - if you got off the power too quickly mid-corner, but as long as you maintained progressive weight transfer and did your heavy braking in a straight line it was fine.

You'll never see any modern Golf handle like that (short of fitting staggered tyres, running crazy pressure variations, or making major hardware mods). A Mk7 can move around a little at the rear on turn-in if you're off the throttle or braking, which is typically all the adjustability you need to be fast (if not hugely entertained), but the rear will always be properly planted at anything above 0% throttle, and you'll almost never need much if anything in the way of correction. The Mk5 GTI could come around fast if you were hopelessly overcommitted in the wet under hard braking with ESP off, but that was as lairy as it got, and the current kit won't do that no matter how hard you provoke it.
    Last edited by AdamD; 01-10-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by urxtream View Post
    I'm running Hankook S1 Evo2s on my car now. I've got aftermarket rims - Advan Racing RS-DF 19x8.5 ET45. I think I'll be replacing these tyres with Michellin PSS when the time comes. It was definitely under-steering coz when I took a right hand corner this morning, the front just kept pushing to the left and wouldn't really turn in.

My commute to work involves a bit of highway driving and twisty roads. I was prolly doing 30km/hr in the twisties this morning? In dry I think I can tackle those corners with much higher speed.

A wheel alignment sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should get that done and see if that makes any difference.

And by the way, a white Golf R with european plates NOO-000 (from memory) was toying with me on the M2 this morning. I overtook him and then he shot past me on the Lane Cove Road exit. Not sure if his car was stock but it was definitely very quick.

Having owned the MK6 R previously, the only thing I missed about the R was the AWD system in the wet. If it was in the dry, I don't think the R would stand a chance against the 40 Years on twisty roads.
    Not surprised you're getting wheel spin and understeer running those rubbish tyres. It was raining here today and the
    P Zeros are fantastic in the wet.
    [/COLOR] 2016 VW Golf GTI MK7 40 Years, DSG, Tornado Red, Tinted Windows,
    2016 VW T6 Multivan Generation Six, Cherry Red with Candy White, VanEssa System with Kitchen, Mattress, Storage Bags, Swivel Seat, Roof Racks with Thule Pod, Dometic Anthracite Awning, Blackout Curtains, Bonnet Bra plus more ..

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Billecartz View Post
    Not surprised you're getting wheel spin and understeer running those rubbish tyres. It was raining here today and the
    P Zeros are fantastic in the wet.
    Hankook S1 Evo2 Review: Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 - Tyre Reviews

Pirelli P Zero Review: Pirelli P Zero - Tyre Reviews

Rubbish tyres scored higher??? Anyways, when I have the Michelin PSS on and the 034 dog mount installed, I'll know exactly why my car understeers in the wet. I'm not running the stock rims so that might make a difference too. I hope the R-S3s I'm running on my other car isn't rubbish either coz I'll have to fork out extra money and put the Michelin Cup2 tyres on there (standard tyres on GT3s and the Turbos) and just FYI, the S1 Evo2 are the standard tyres on the Porsche Macans.

By the way, I'm guessing you're not ordering the JB1 coz you never replied to my PMs and the the other thread.
    Last edited by urxtream; 02-10-2016 at 09:29 AM.
    VW MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | White | DSG | JB1 | Advan Racing RS-DF | Michelin PSS | Current
    PORSCHE 987.2 Boxster | Silver | PDK | Capristo Exhaust | BMC Filter | OZ Racing Alleggerita | Hankook R-S3 | Current
    VW MK6 Golf R | Blue | DSG | GIAC Stage 1 | Sold
    VW MK4 Golf GTI | Red | 5 Spd | MTM Stage 5 | Sold

Users Country Flag
    Picked up my GTI 40 manual on Friday and thanks to Sydney LWE traffic didn't get any opportunity to really see what its like.

for context my last golf experience was MK6 GTI DSG with APR stage 2. Prior to that i had a MK6 R manual stock. FWIW i preferred the lighter an looser feel of the GTI. the R just felt too tied down if you know what i mean.

Well yesterday i finally managed to get the 40 and throw it at some corners and straights. Wow even with 100kms on the clock its a seriously quick car. the EA888 really moves the game on and even "only" up to 5K rpms there is serious building of power. It feels like the MK6 APR stage 1 even at this early stage. maybe even a bit gruntier. Love the cam timing sound at lower revs too - has faint elements of a flat plane crank sound about it - but i suspect this is the synthesized sound.

second thing is the steering - the 40 really feels like it is steering more from the middle of the car than the front. feels like the wheelbase is much longer and therefore more stable. If you've had an N series WRX and put on a stiffer rear roll bar you will immediately know what i mean. to say i am pleasantly surprised is a massive understatement.

third thing - the diff - wow you can really feel the diff effect when modulating power in the corners - the car noticeably tightens or loosens its line in a corner with no steering input change just based on whether you are on or off power. feels super planted and pointy.

not trying to be a gushing fanboy here but felt motivated to share first impressions with you. i was worried that after all the hype it would be an inevitable let down - it isn't
    MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | Carbon | Manual | Current

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratz View Post
    Picked up my GTI 40 manual on Friday and thanks to Sydney LWE traffic didn't get any opportunity to really see what its like.

for context my last golf experience was MK6 GTI DSG with APR stage 2. Prior to that i had a MK6 R manual stock. FWIW i preferred the lighter an looser feel of the GTI. the R just felt too tied down if you know what i mean.

Well yesterday i finally managed to get the 40 and throw it at some corners and straights. Wow even with 100kms on the clock its a seriously quick car. the EA888 really moves the game on and even "only" up to 5K rpms there is serious building of power. It feels like the MK6 APR stage 1 even at this early stage. maybe even a bit gruntier. Love the cam timing sound at lower revs too - has faint elements of a flat plane crank sound about it - but i suspect this is the synthesized sound.

second thing is the steering - the 40 really feels like it is steering more from the middle of the car than the front. feels like the wheelbase is much longer and therefore more stable. If you've had an N series WRX and put on a stiffer rear roll bar you will immediately know what i mean. to say i am pleasantly surprised is a massive understatement.

third thing - the diff - wow you can really feel the diff effect when modulating power in the corners - the car noticeably tightens or loosens its line in a corner with no steering input change just based on whether you are on or off power. feels super planted and pointy.

not trying to be a gushing fanboy here but felt motivated to share first impressions with you. i was worried that after all the hype it would be an inevitable let down - it isn't
    Nice write up! The combination of a well sorted chassis, light weight and mechanical LSD add up to an engaging drive. Glad you are enjoying the car.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Urgh don't know what to do re: tinting!

I just realised (not sure how I didnt notice) that back and rear passenger windows are already done at 35% tint??

Has anyone had tinting done already?

I ideally wanted 25% all around but not sure how its achievable now. I guess could I apply 70% on the back (*35% = 25%) and 25% directly on the front? Maybe easier to just apply 35% and have it matching

Hopefully Dave will know what he's doing!

:S
    Last edited by Vagabond; 03-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast