Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: GTI Edition 40 / Clubsport Thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Must have a heavy right foot
    Generally speaking, yes! but as I said, I was only doing 30km/hr around the corners this morning, it wasn't "that" aggressive.
    VW MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | White | DSG | JB1 | Advan Racing RS-DF | Michelin PSS | Current
    PORSCHE 987.2 Boxster | Silver | PDK | Capristo Exhaust | BMC Filter | OZ Racing Alleggerita | Hankook R-S3 | Current
    VW MK6 Golf R | Blue | DSG | GIAC Stage 1 | Sold
    VW MK4 Golf GTI | Red | 5 Spd | MTM Stage 5 | Sold

Users Country Flag
    Btw, the aftermarket wheels I'm running are about 4-5kgs lighter each corner. Not sure if that will have an effect on the cornering capabilities or the issue with losing traction. I've been told that lighter wheels on FWD cars might extentuate the under-steer more. More weight is actually better.
    Last edited by urxtream; 29-09-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    VW MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | White | DSG | JB1 | Advan Racing RS-DF | Michelin PSS | Current
    PORSCHE 987.2 Boxster | Silver | PDK | Capristo Exhaust | BMC Filter | OZ Racing Alleggerita | Hankook R-S3 | Current

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by urxtream View Post
    More weight is actually better.
    You might be on to something there, years ago I did a one day rally course with the guys at sideways action and remember them telling us to stand the car on its nose when braking to shift all the weight forward so the front wheels would grip through the corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I'm running Hankook S1 Evo2s on my car now. I've got aftermarket rims - Advan Racing RS-DF 19x8.5 ET45. I think I'll be replacing these tyres with Michellin PSS when the time comes. It was definitely under-steering coz when I took a right hand corner this morning, the front just kept pushing to the left and wouldn't really turn in.

My commute to work involves a bit of highway driving and twisty roads. I was prolly doing 30km/hr in the twisties this morning? In dry I think I can tackle those corners with much higher speed.

A wheel alignment sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should get that done and see if that makes any difference.

And by the way, a white Golf R with european plates NOO-000 (from memory) was toying with me on the M2 this morning. I overtook him and then he shot past me on the Lane Cove Road exit. Not sure if his car was stock but it was definitely very quick.

Having owned the MK6 R previously, the only thing I missed about the R was the AWD system in the wet. If it was in the dry, I don't think the R would stand a chance against the 40 Years on twisty roads.
    Re the wheel-spin on the wet, this is to be expected at a degree even as stock but to be fair, you are running a JB1 that means nearly 500Nm on the front axle , what did you expect?

Re the wet under-steer this is contrary to my experience so far, the car usually grips nearly just as good although I am not pushing hard in these occasions but considering how good the chassis is, I'd say it's all down to the tyres.

Which in fact is the most important thing on powerful FWD cars like this. While lesser tyres like the Potenza's can be flattered on AWD cars, on such cars they will reveal all their weaknesses. MPSS, SportContact 6, Eagle F1 Asymmetric are all big improvements over the stock Bridgestones and I would imagine also over the Hankooks you run which are are merely an acceptable budget tyre based on the reviews. Already looking forward in changing mine as it really doesn't allow the car's potential to be exploited.

Users Country Flag
    Do you guys still experience axle tramp / wheel hop in the wet?
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Quote Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
    Do you guys still experience axle tramp / wheel hop in the wet?
    I did in the wet and dry but have since installed an 034 Motorsport dogbone insert and it has been great and no longer an issue.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks. I also had the dog bone fitted but didn't like the vibration so I had it removed. A bit lighter on the right foot resolved it.
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo View Post
    Re the wheel-spin on the wet, this is to be expected at a degree even as stock but to be fair, you are running a JB1 that means nearly 500Nm on the front axle , what did you expect?

Re the wet under-steer this is contrary to my experience so far, the car usually grips nearly just as good although I am not pushing hard in these occasions but considering how good the chassis is, I'd say it's all down to the tyres.

Which in fact is the most important thing on powerful FWD cars like this. While lesser tyres like the Potenza's can be flattered on AWD cars, on such cars they will reveal all their weaknesses. MPSS, SportContact 6, Eagle F1 Asymmetric are all big improvements over the stock Bridgestones and I would imagine also over the Hankooks you run which are are merely an acceptable budget tyre based on the reviews. Already looking forward in changing mine as it really doesn't allow the car's potential to be exploited.
    Just ordered a set of Michelin PSS, hopefully that will make a difference.

Will report back after I've put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
    Thanks. I also had the dog bone fitted but didn't like the vibration so I had it removed. A bit lighter on the right foot resolved it.
    Was it fitted correctly and version 2? No vibrations and I'm running JB1 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Users Country Flag

Just ordered a set of Michelin PSS, hopefully that will make a difference.

Will report back after I've put them on.
    would love to hear impressions.

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast