Thread: GTI - Buzzing sound from B pillar on driver's side during low RPMs

Users Country Flag

GTI - Buzzing sound from B pillar on driver's side during low RPMs

Hi All,

Starting to hear a buzzing/vibration sound coming from the B pillar or some where to the lower right portion of my driver's side seat.

Happens at low gear, low RPM (800-1000 RPM) especially when the car has warmed up a bit.

I took the car back to VW but they claim that they do not hear it. Would need to literally get a technician to sit with me when I drive the car since both my wife and daughter has confirmed hearing it (so it's not me hearing things.)

Has anyone experienced something like this and has results trouble shooting this? It is kinda hard for me to diagnose properly since I am driving and trying to pinpoint the source.
    MY20 MK7.5 GTI - Solid White
    MY23 T-ROC STYLE - Silver Metallic

Users Country Flag
    Lower right side of the drivers seat could well be vibrating fuel lines as they run up that side of the car. It was a very common issue on the Mk6. In fact I also believe I have started to hear it on my Mk7 over the past few weeks (although mine is around 2000-2300rpm). When I get some free time I will investigate and put some padding etc around the fuel lines.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 18-05-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas. Likewise I'll get VW to have a look along those lines as well. The buzzing sounds like a thin metal sheet resonating to the car's engine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran78 View Post
    Thanks Lucas. Likewise I'll get VW to have a look along those lines as well. The buzzing sounds like a thin metal sheet resonating to the car's engine.
    Yes that's the sound. The fuel lines run underneath the car and are covered with big sheets of plastic paneling (the same paneling you just had changed due to your little accident) so in your case the repair might have caused the noise. Either way, on the Mk6 the noise was easily fixed with some rubber foam to isolate the fuel line so im sure it will be much the same on the Mk7. I might have a look tonight if I get time and have the energy as it does annoy me when driving and only appeared a few weeks ago out of the blue.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Lucas. I've had the missus drive around the block with me sitting behind. Hard to pinpoint exact location of the source but 'seems' to come from B-pillar about 10cm below the exit point of the seat belt.

I'll also bring the car back to the repairer instead of VW to check out that undercarriage section of the fuel line. Thanks for the tip.

Does sound suspicious for the fuel line rattle. Don't let VW fob you off by saying that the fuel line rattle was only on the earlier Golf models.
    I have a 2018 GTi that had a buzzing sound from new - in mine occurred in a narrow rev range around 2500 rpm, most noticeable when holding a gear/coasting with no throttle. Initially intermittent - which I eventually worked out was because it was temporarily eliminated by a full tank of fuel but really noticeable when fuel getting quite low - so VW workshop could not hear it. Eventually I talked them into looking at the fuel lines and they "fixed" that by saying fuel lines were fully insulated from the factory and the buzz/rattle was in fact coming from around the rear view mirror mounting. Somehow that fix had failed by the time I had driven about 100m down the road.
    Eventually I got the car serviced at XXXX VW (not sure if I can name dealers on the forum - lets just say the VW dealer near Sydney airport). To their credit they were able to hear it straight away. After leaving the car with them so they could properly diagnose it about a week later I get the call. Identified as.... would you ever believe the fuel lines resonating in the "tunnel" running from the fuel tank to the engine bay. Fixed with full insulation all the way back to the fuel tank and not a sound since, in fact I reckon there were probably other noises at different frequencies as seemed to be quieter in general.
    Good luck and I reckon if you get the runaround elsewhere try the dealer above - they were great to deal with and keen to get to the bottom of it - in marked distinction to the first mob I was dealing with.
    Last edited by ABCD; 20-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks ABCD. I've booked in an appointment with the VW Service Centre in Castle Hill to have a technician sit with me when I drive just to hear the noise.

Interesting, I had my GTI in on Monday for what turned out to be a similar issue that I thought was the sunroof.

Previously I finally took it in after the sunroof started groaning on uneven surfaces at low speed, at about 3k on the odometer, but then it started rattling, or so I thought, so I booked it in.

Tech took a drive and mentioned they would lube the rubbers etc, but at the end of the day or was rebooked in for a week and they ordered parts.

They had it for three days in the end and it seemed fine on the drive home. Didn't drive it too much but I confirmed the groaning was gone and then the raffle returned! Happens at cruising around town speeds so I booked it in again.

Different tech took a drive and diagnosed it was coming from the passenger B pillar and they did something adjustment wise and used some felt. Haven't driven it since but will have to see.

A bit like that other drive home it was quiet on Monday on the way there so I lengthened my trip and soon it was rattling a lot and they got to hear it, so we'll see how it goes.

Either way that section was totally quiet for about 5k.

I'll see if retuns and is the fuel lines, which I have heard of from the Mk6.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP