Thread: GTi additional preventive maintenance

Users Country Flag

GTi additional preventive maintenance

Hi Guys

I had the 60,000 service done at VW yesterday and the service advisor is telling me I need to get additional maintenance done on my car. I asked further questions and was told my engine may have issues if I don't get it done and that it would potentially void my car's warranty if I don't get it done. My understanding of warranty is that I should only have to do the log book service to keep it valid.

I was told I need:

Throttle valve injector service $380
    Inlet valve service $380

Has anyone else had this do I really need to get it done or risk loosing warranty on my car?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like something the service advisor needs to put in writing so you can advise VW Aus and your state consumer organisation.
    Cheers

Unless you actually have some demonstrable symptoms (rough running, error codes etc) this is a classic upsell. Your service adviser is almost certainly getting some incentives to get you to pay for more work (and parts) than is actually needed.

As long as you get your car serviced according to the official VW service schedule you will keep your warranty intact.

If you do fall for the bait next you will probably be told you need your a/c system serviced as well (much $$$$), then it will be "your brakes won't last until the next service, so you need to replace them now".

You need to find a more honest place to work on your car. It will be looked after better and cost you less. It is worth remembering that VW dealerships make more money from servicing than they do from selling new cars. A gullible owner and a predatory service adviser is almost a licence to print money.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 07-07-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).