Thread: Golf rmk7.5 headlights into 7.5 rline problem

Users Country Flag

Golf rmk7.5 headlights into 7.5 rline problem

So I decided to get a set of Mk7.5 R headlights and fit them in my RLine, however have struck a problem, low beam works and nothing else and in obd11 it shows a yellow mark on the headlight modules, high beam doesn't work, DRLs not working and no indicators and get faults when I start the car.

anyone have a solution

or have I missed something

Users Country Flag
    Its a big task to fit the xenon headlights to a car that was not optioned with them from the factory. As you have discovered, you cant just buy headlights and plug them in.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    They are still LED headlights

Users Country Flag
    Compare the pins on the connectors on the 2 sets of lights, if they are identical, then you may get away with just coding (VCDS) the car to the new lights. If the pins are different then you will need an adaptor and then coding.

On VW's nothing is ever just swapping out parts. Everything requires research and then appropriate coding to make it work (if it is even possible).
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DVS View Post
    So I decided to get a set of Mk7.5 R headlights and fit them in my RLine, however have struck a problem, low beam works and nothing else and in obd11 it shows a yellow mark on the headlight modules, high beam doesn't work, DRLs not working and no indicators and get faults when I start the car.
    hmm........ as others have already said - this type of retrofit project is not trivial!!

IMHO, it ain't possible to answer your questions based solely on the information provided - a much better understanding is needed of the nature of exercise in general and of the resulting errors, in particular.

If you want to proceed - maybe provide answers to these questions:
    1. Confirm that the car was factory fitted with HID headlight assemblies - and therefore the headlight wiring loom was terminated on a 14 x pin connector at the point of coupling to the actual headlight units!
    2. How were the original headlights driven by the CAN bus - does the car use the module @ address hex55, or hex09, or are Lighting Control Modules (LCMs) installed?
    3. When you say that "Mk7.5 headlights" were fitted, what do you mean - are the new headlights true OEM (meaning from WV), or were they sourced from a third-party manufacturer?
    4. What coding changes were made to the car following physical installation of the new headlights?
    5. What are the actual errors reported by OBD11 - provide an unedited copy of the OBD11 scan report ?

Don

PS: in respect of "5" above and assuming that you run the OBD11 software on an Android device, this is how to digitize the scan report - which can then be included in a forum post:
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

original headlights were LED with 14pin connector driven by canbus

New headlights are R headlights which are LED 14pin driven by the Canbus

I have followed a coding from MK7 forum where someone did a halogen to R headlight upgrade

the headlights I have are 5g2941060c and 5g2941059c

I did have the RH indicator and DRL working but now it is not

I'll get a full scan soon

Users Country Flag

I have followed a coding from MK7 forum where someone did a halogen to R headlight upgrade

the headlights I have are 5g2941060c and 5g2941059c

I did have the RH indicator and DRL working but now it is not

I'll get a full scan soon
    Perhaps duplicating a R's coding will work. I will be pulling coding off the Up! this weekend, if I have time, I'll see if I can grab some coding off the R too.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

OK - yes, I understand - but which type of CAN based AFS does the car use (does the car have a hex55 module, or does it use LCMs, or is AFS driven directly from the BCM)?

hmm..... this might be your problem if your car doesn't use LCMs - MQB platform cars with halogen based headlights are factory fitted with a 10 x pin connector and these type of conversion projects involve the addition of a separate cross-wiring harness to mate with the 14 x pin connector on the new headlight assemblies.

Leuchte-programming is very sensitive to the pin-out of the BCM/central electrics module (depending on which diagnostic device you use)- meaning that it's totally dependent on which lamp is connected to which pin on the hex09 module. As you will appreciate, the factory lamp-to-BCM-pin assignment is very different for a headlight wiring loom that has a 10 x pin connector and a loom that has a 14 x pin connector. So, very different Leuchte programming is needed on a factory built halogen car for these type of projects!!

My hunch (again, assuming that your car isn't fitted with LCMs) is that you would have been better-off using the original factory programming on your car for the new headlight fittings. So, I suggest that you revert the Leuchte-set changes back to original as a starting point!

The protocol for OBD means that when making changes to channel values, the old value is over-written by the new value and the old value is lost.

However and assuming that you use VCDS, the software keeps a separate record for the details of ALL the changes to you make (including the old value). To find details of the history of your particular channel changes - do this:
    • Navigate to C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug
    • Open the file AdpLog. CSV with something like MS Excel, or MS Notepad
    • Each record in the database will be date/time stamped - so go to those entries that align with the date of your changes
    • The original values for the channels that you modified are listed in the category "adapted from"

If you use OBD11, there is a similar facility to above via the History option
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 13-08-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Ok I've worked out that one of the LED headlight control modules was faulty part no. 8V0 907 399 D I have been able to get the Indicators and DRLs to work, I just have to replace the module for it to work on both sides, I still have to sort out High Beam and AFS

I use OBD