Thread: Golf R WAGON exhaust mod discussions

Golf R WAGON exhaust mod discussions

My search so far hasn't been successful so far so hopefully this thread will help bring exhaust questions/advice together.

I am thinking of doing a resonator delete (not sure as I don't have the car in my hands yet).
    I have heard that this does introduce a bit of drone due to the extra length in the mid-pipe.

I am keen to see if anyone can elaborate how much it drones and what gear/speed it occurs.
    The other question is regarding sound differences between:
    1) Standard Golf R Wagon exhaust with valves coded open
    Vs
    2) Golf R wagon with res delete
    Specifically tone of exhaust note and amount of popping/farting. I suspect a res delete will have more pops and farts with a deeper exhaust note but would be keen to see a video of all of these comparisons.

If I ever get around to it I will do the video myself haha.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    I nearly did it but lost my nerve after hearing about the drone.

Sadly the Mk7 wagon doesn’t have valves at all. A source of considerable shame every time I look at my fake quad pipes
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Quote Originally Posted by hardy_bm View Post
    Sadly the Mk7 wagon doesn’t have valves at all. A source of considerable shame every time I look at my fake quad pipes
    Wow, didn't know they didn't have valves. So you're saying only 2 of the 4 pipes are functional?
    Current:

Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Wow, didn't know they didn't have valves. So you're saying only 2 of the 4 pipes are functional?
    That's correct, Mk7 R wagons have no valves & 2 fake tips. The Mk7.5 R wagons don't have any valves either, but all 4 tips work.

Both R wagons have a quite different exhaust setup to the hatches.

IIRC the Mk7.5 with 7 speed DSG with a res-delete has less drone when cruising on the highway due to the higher ratio in top (7th) gear.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    This was a summary I made for my Mk7 R wagon when I was working out how to replace the fake tips and no valves. Really only Remus does it. Need to hear one in real life though, because the videos sound like a kazoo. And $4,200 is a lot of whisky to help me forget I’ve got fake quad tips.

Google Sheets: Sign-in
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Users Country Flag
    There’s a couple of mobs in the UK that make drone free centre resonator deletes for the wagons. They have a tested helmholtz resonator side branch plumbed into the straight pipe that quiets the drone.
    VW Golf R Mk7 & 7.5 Centre Resonator Delete (Res Delete) Anti Drone Pipe | RPM PERFORMANCE £175 plus delivery, dunno how it goes, haven’t heard or seen video of it.
    and
    Golf R Mk7 / 7.5 Wagon 2.0 Tsi 2014 on
    this one by BCS/Powervalve has video and support from users on VWROC, but is £300 plus delivery.

Wagons have pretty good stock sound without valves, the above options will give you plenty without breaking the bank. Listen to the BCS/Powervalve vid.
    Last edited by GolfRWag; 06-10-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks guys, I'll wait until I have the car and see how I go. No big rush but I'm just getting carried away whilst waiting to get my hands on the car!
    Current: