Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R Metallic Ringing Noise

I got this in my R wagon also from the day I picked it up.... Always thought it sounded like a exhaust heat shield or something vibrating at lower revs when under load.... It's bloody annoying! They did such a good job of muffling the actual engine sound that they needed to make a soundaktor but they can't hide this noise haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have this exact thing on my gti too. Definitely not wastegate or sound actuator. Much lighter rattling. Also told it was a characteristic of the engine

Users Country Flag
    There are definitely two distinct issues at play - I had the wastegate issue on my Mk6 and that was definitely different to the issue here which 'featured' on my Mk7 instead.

Interesting that it's not consistent across the board again per Andrew's tale; I'll be interested to see if an independent can resolve it and what the fix is.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Wondering if a replacement aftermarket DV valve might do the trick?? I am on a mission to eliminate this noise!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew7 View Post
    Wondering if a replacement aftermarket DV valve might do the trick?? I am on a mission to eliminate this noise!
    Nope, I have a GFB DV+ and it still exists.

Users Country Flag
    I can hear this sound in my Golf Alltrack too, in about the same rev range (between 2000 and 2500rpm). I wasn't sure what it was, but I'd expect it's the same thing as mentioned above. Pretty sure the 1.8 litre TSI is from the same EA888 engine group as the 2.0 litre GTI and R variants.

Agreed, it does take a little shine off an otherwise brilliant engine package.
    2019 Tiguan 132TSI R-Line Edition MY19.5 - Tungsten Silver - 2.0 litre TSI 132kW + Panoramic glass sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Primordial View Post
    Nope, I have a GFB DV+ and it still exists.
    damn......

next theory: there was someone on the VW Vortex forum who installed a new ABT downpipe which somehow eliminated the ringing noise. He theorises that the existing OEM heat shield above the OEM downpipe amplifies the sound (the ABT DP comes with a titanium thermal wrap)....

Quote Originally Posted by andrew7 View Post
    damn......

next theory: there was someone on the VW Vortex forum who installed a new ABT downpipe which somehow eliminated the ringing noise. He theorises that the existing OEM heat shield above the OEM downpipe amplifies the sound (the ABT DP comes with a titanium thermal wrap)....
    On man.. actually.. I had a CTS downpipe fitted on the weekend. You know what, I think the sound might actually be gone on mine too now that I think of it! I usually cringe whenever I hear it in the morning after cold start, but I don't think I've cringed all week!

Shall test later today and let you know.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Primordial View Post
    On man.. actually.. I had a CTS downpipe fitted on the weekend. You know what, I think the sound might actually be gone on mine too now that I think of it! I usually cringe whenever I hear it in the morning after cold start, but I don't think I've cringed all week!

Shall test later today and let you know.
    Well that's promising! Looking forward to your report

Users Country Flag

Indeed.

And a spouse-friendly reason for why one must go to stage 2.. "just clearing that ringing sound".

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast