Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Golf R Metallic Ringing Noise

Users Country Flag

I have this bell ringing noise to and it does my head in! Thankfully its intermittent and music easily drowns it out

Sounds like its coming from the front right wheel, usually at lower speeds when just coasting along not so much under acceleration, haven't found any regular triggers for it.. usually occurs after extended driving.
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

I'm in WA. The dealer has ordered new door trim panels to be fitted within a fortnight. They will have to fix the rear-view mirror sensor housing too as this vibrates badly. I don't think anything can be done about the high-pitched acceleration noise.

I've got both rattles in the door (same as my MY14 103TSI wagon) that vanish after pressure is applied outward to the door, plus the ringing of bells from the engine as described earlier. MY18 R wagon and it's approaching 1000km, so still a baby. First noticed today.

Neither of these issues were present in the vehicle I test drove (which had <100km on the clock).

Has anyone had any luck getting these attended to?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    Has anyone had any luck getting these attended to?
    When I reported the ringing sound (along with about 10 other items which were also known issues) at the second service, my car was immediately re-booked by the dealer for 2 weeks later for a complete turbo replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Quote Originally Posted by Primordial View Post
    Ok guys, well I have good news and bad news.

I'm pretty sure I've found the source of the rattle. The bad news - I don't think it's going to be easy to fix, without removing the dump pipe to fix, or by replacing it obviously..

The rattling sound sounds suspiciously like the metal shroud/cage around the downpipe flex joint. Unfortunately this will be pretty difficult to access without removing the downpipe. Likely why VW wont release a 'fix' for it, because its at least 3-4 hours of work just to get the downpipe out!

I made a quick video to explain:

All good bud, happy to help

It’s a long shot but would MY20 Tiguan Allspace or Tiguan have the same DP? I’ve noticed this muffled grating noise from Day 1 and it’s been 2 weeks since picking up the car from dealership now and only getting louder. It happens on accelerating through D1-D3 up to around 2000rpm and after that it fades away due to engine noise etc. it’s not present at idle or revving at idle. I also own an MK6 GTI which had the clip installed on wastegate actuator in 2011 so I’m familiar with the noise and it’s not the same one.

I’ve been researching on this forum and international forums before heading into the dealer and after watching this video it’s very convincing that it sounds exactly like that noise from the mesh join. Another poster here mentioned sound of cabasa and I had a listen to the link and I think it’s that type of grating metallic mesh noise.

Other forum members in Tiguan forum advised it might be loose fuel rail which I’ll also look into but this seems quite likely as well. I had a look underneath to see if heat shields were touching propshaft towards the rear diff but there is about a finger width in there and a bit less than that above the cat converter. Looking from some distance around DP area it did look a bit cramped up in that area with heat shields etc.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415