Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Mk7 Towing/Towbar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Euro Car Upgrades View Post
    Yes you can, different bar to hatch and wiring need to be done to your dash as no preparation on these.
    Westfalia? And fully legal compliant with ADR?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    Westfalia? And fully legal compliant with ADR?
    Yes it is

Yes it is
    great thanks. Any reason then why the dealers say there’s no towbar for the Golf r mk 7.5 then?

Users Country Flag
    great thanks. Any reason then why the dealers say there’s no towbar for the Golf r mk 7.5 then?
    Unsure

Unsure
    Got any pics of one installed on a Mk 7.5 R Wagon please?

Users Country Flag
    Got any pics of one installed on a Mk 7.5 R Wagon please?
    Will make some when we do one next.

Possibly because the manufacturer (VW Germany) say that the Golf R is not designed to have any towbar ? ie zero load is legal.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Possibly because the manufacturer (VW Germany) say that the Golf R is not designed to have any towbar ? ie zero load is legal.
    Yes, as I understand it VW did not homologate/assess/rate the R for tow capacity.

Im sure the car is quite capable of towing a moderate load eg: sub 1000kg. Chassis- wise it’s the same as the Golf Alltrack, though the tyres load limit maybe a potential issue if the car is also loaded, and the springs/ride height may not have sufficient travel for potential loads.

Which is not to say you cannot fit one, for say a bike rack. There’s some UK Golf R sedans and wagons running about with tow bars for just that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfRWag View Post
    Yes, as I understand it VW did not homologate/assess/rate the R for tow capacity.

Im sure the car is quite capable of towing a moderate load eg: sub 1000kg. Chassis- wise it’s the same as the Golf Alltrack, though the tyres load limit maybe a potential issue if the car is also loaded, and the springs/ride height may not have sufficient travel for potential loads.

Which is not to say you cannot fit one, for say a bike rack. There’s some UK Golf R sedans and wagons running about with tow bars for just that purpose.
    I agree, there is almost certainly no mechanical reason for not homologlating a trailer, and carting bikes around on a hitch would probably be legal (as long as the obscured rego plate issue is dealt with), but have a prang with a trailer connected (no matter how light) and you could be in a world of hurt legally & financially (so just don't hook up a trailer - ever).

I'm not sure what would happen if you sell the car and a subsequent owner (who doesn't know about the legal restriction on trailers) hooks up a trailer and loses control and ploughs into a school bus full of kids and injures them.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    VW Brisbane don't know anything about this as they haven't told me I can't fit an aftermarket towbar.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast